Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Irresistible entreaties of Lord Darth Mulligan have skillfully overcome weak resistance of the young & foolish Jedi Trainee, who has succumbed to the siren song of the Dark Side.

The foolish one, casting aside all reason and thoughts of self-preservation, hath rushed headlong into the dark mists of the Empire, following Lord Darth Mulligan thence to the Dreaded Catacombs, oft whispered by men of valor in hushed tones, known as Merger.

There, he suffered to give up valued resources for vague promises of gain by merger. As it was thus foretold by Lord Mulligan, that the last holdouts in WDC-PUC might in time capitulate and assign their seal of approval on the proposal.

So now the foolish young Jedi waits, in fear and trembling, for the Monster called EXC-POM to emerge, or forever hibernate within its chambers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well give it a month or so, and we will find out. One thing is certain, I did call BS Exelon's threat to walk away by March 11 deadline correctly. I noticed on Pepco's website they also posted exact same article I cited a few posts ago...They are obviously trying a new angle...Pressure imposed by community leaders on officials to consummate the deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Chickened out and sold half earlier this morning, watched it sink and sold other half... $5 profit, what a trade! Actually I sold because I dug deeper into the company. Thought I would be fine just holding the shares if merger didn't come through. But its dividend history is down right a disgrace, raised 2 cents in last 15 years, and its future costs are tremendous. The DC politics overseeing this company doesn't help either.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Chickened out and sold half earlier this morning, watched it sink and sold other half... $5 profit, what a trade! Actually I sold because I dug deeper into the company. Thought I would be fine just holding the shares if merger didn't come through. But its dividend history is down right a disgrace, raised 2 cents in last 15 years, and its future costs are tremendous. The DC politics overseeing this company doesn't help either.

And likewise did the young and foolish Jedi Trainee.

So without treasure they sought so eagerly, the Jedi Trainee and Lord Darth Mulligan, doth emerge from the dreaded Catacombs, bruised and battered but whole and safe.

And the Monster called Merger remained bound in his cave, held by the heavy chains of his captors, otherwise known as the WDC politicians. And thus he stays, and may never again see the light of day.

And Lo! As they departed forth, they looked back and the cave entrance was slowly collapsing, closing off all future entrance to that dreaded edifice. So it is to this day.

Thus another adventure doth end, and new dangers and forays await the pair as they proceed upon their journey.....
Old 03-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exelon Acquiring Pepco

There is a meeting and possibly a vote Wednesday. Looks like it sank today and I expect a bigger hit when shareholders realize their March divi is MIA unless they get approval. With all the politics its a spec trade.

You guys are hilarious.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
There is a meeting and possibly a vote Wednesday. Looks like it sank today and I expect a bigger hit when shareholders realize their March divi is MIA unless they get approval. With all the politics its a spec trade.

You guys are hilarious.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

As long as I can make dumb trades and still not lose money I guess its ok. Better than making dumb trades and losing money, I guess. Moodys strongly suggested by companies finances as a stand alone company they would either have to cut the dividend or severely curtail capital spending. Im not an electrical user in their territory, but I did read in 2014 they were voted worst company in US by their customers. They even managed to beat out Comcast and all the cable companies. I didnt think that was possible! So evidently they got some much needed capital upgrades to dole out for, so the dividend may get a haircut... No growth, no dividend increases and potential divi cut on a utility is a bad investment choice.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

What an idiot I am! Up $5 today! If I had hung on one more day I would have made $2500.... No guts no glory....

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

[QUOTE=Mulligan;1711488]What an idiot I am! Up $5 today! If I had hung on one more day I would have made $2500.... No guts no glory....

I was convinced from your detailed summary yesterday that this was a hopeless investment. By the time I got around to selling, however, the merger had already been approved and I sold the 400 shares I bought last week for 27.14. Possibly the best really stupid investment I have made.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Hamster;1711560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
What an idiot I am! Up $5 today! If I had hung on one more day I would have made $2500.... No guts no glory....

I was convinced from your detailed summary yesterday that this was a hopeless investment. By the time I got around to selling, however, the merger had already been approved and I sold the 400 shares I bought last week for 27.14. Possibly the best really stupid investment I have made.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Good for you Hamster! Sometimes ignorance is bliss...And it would have been for me if I hadnt started studying the detailed finances of the company and Moodys financial analysis... I started worrying more about being caught "holding the bag" than I was thinking about my original thesis with no analysis that this merger is going through by hook or crook because EXC has too much money in it now to let it die.
Oh well, this is why most of my money is in preferred stocks...I cant handle the heat so I mostly stay out of the kitchen...

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Note sure why you got such low prices for EXC. I googled EXC and over the past 5 trading days, this stock price varied from $34.56 to $35.25.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Note sure why you got such low prices for EXC. I googled EXC and over the past 5 trading days, this stock price varied from $34.56 to $35.25.

No, we are talking about Pepco (POM) the company being acquired.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
POM was up 26.8% today on the news that the merger was unexpectedly approved. Not quite like winning the lottery, but an unusually good short term trade.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Exelon Acquiring Pepco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
POM was up 26.8% today on the news that the merger was unexpectedly approved. Not quite like winning the lottery, but an unusually good short term trade.

That is what ticks me off about what I did...It wasnt the money...I would have had to pay 31% to Uncle Sam so we were talking about $1700 net... Easy money, yes, but chump change still. It was about proving how smart I was getting in and out and patting myself on the back for my one off trading skills.....And I failed....