Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Exxon/Mobil under fire!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Exxon/Mobil under fire!

Looks like the climate change folks are lining up to try to suck funds out of Exxon/Mobil for covering over potential climate change issues with fossil fuel uses:

Exxon Mobil (XOM) Stock Slides on Climate Change Investigation - TheStreet

Quote:
Attorney General Eric Schneiderman subpoenaed the energy company on Wednesday for financial records, emails and other documents, sources told the New York Times.

The attorney general will look into the company's actions as far back as the late 1970's, during which Exxon Mobil spent at least a decade funding groups that undermined climate science, according to the Times.
This sounds like the witch hunt of old when all the tobacco companies were under fire, and we know where that went.

Anybody have XOM as a long term (or even short term) holding?

What's your plan if you do?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
...........This sounds like the witch hunt of old when all the tobacco companies were under fire, and we know where that went. ..........
As I recall, the tobacco folks were lying their azzes off and a lot of people died as a result.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
As I recall, the tobacco folks were lying their azzes off and a lot of people died as a result.
And of course, they paid for it.

What I am asking is stock performance related. You know, the crystal ball stuff and what folks plan to do (if anything).
Old 11-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't personally invest in individual stocks, but as an aside I noticed that Exxon-Mobil is the 6th largest stock holding of Wellesley (VWIAX). If Wellington Management thinks it's THAT good, that's a pretty good testimonial as to their faith in Exxon Mobil.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And of course, they paid for it.

What I am asking is stock performance related. You know, the crystal ball stuff and what folks plan to do (if anything).
Gotcha, my point was that the tobacco inquiry was not a witch hunt, which is where innocents are vilified.

Proceed.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

DH inherited XOM shares from his father. We weren't comfortable owning so much stock in a single company. So we sold it all off, and, thanks to the stepped-up basis for inherited stock, we owe very little in cap gains tax. We invested the proceeds in ETFs, much more our speed.

We didn't abandon XOM entirely; it's currently the second-largest holding in one of our ETFs, VYM (Vanguard High Dividend Yield).
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I may be premature with my thoughts, but..

It's my opinion that wall street will take the stock down based on the bad news (although the accusations are going to be challenged by XOM). What will ensure will probably be several years of court date maneuvering and tons of cash spent on legal fees before anything actually goes to court.

There may be other states jumping into the pending circus that could develop.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I own XOM in my gambling (individual stocks) account, so it's a small part of my overall net worth. I'll keep holding it, especially based on the example given of the tobacco companies. I've owned Philip Morris (now Altria and PM) since the early 90s, and made a ton on the dividends, as well as it being a 20 bagger or so cost-wise. I hope XOM comes out of this as poorly.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Anybody have XOM as a long term (or even short term) holding?

What's your plan if you do?
I don't now, but have used it as an occasional short term play. Having just changed the oil in two of my vehicles yesterday taking 9 quarts each, both of which are of European ancestry and enjoy having Mobil1 synth as about the only viable and readily available engine oil, I'll say they are pretty safe. :-) With 1986-2014 US sales of 581,821 units (~40% of worldwide sales), estimated 70% still on the road, changing oil only once per year--most likely more frequent--that is $19.4MM in sales just in the US, for just one make of a relatively low volume vehicle. Between rest of the automotive market, rest of the world, and industrial market for lubricants; they will have sales volume going forward.

"Scandals" of all sorts are alleged every day, and hell, even if they are fully guilty, it would probably get lost in the noise of all the other breaking "news" of even more scandals.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My mom has a good amount of this stock.... her largest single holding... she will do nothing as her potential cap gains are so big....

I bought a position a month or two ago... oil has been driven down to a point where I am putting some of my play money there and hope it goes up.... I will be reinvesting dividends, so for me I can live with it being down a bit for awhile.... I suspect that this will go nowhere...
Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have some individual Exxon stock and have no plans to sell it.

Just another witch hunt in hopes of big lawsuits. Basis assumes global warming is (1) a fact (2) driven by fossil fuel use and (3) Exxon as a corporation agreed with some of their employees belief in this. Doubt any one of those three could pass a solid legal challenge. So not concerned with the upcoming grand standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I own Exxon in the dividend stock portion of my portfolio. I don't imagine proving that fossil fuels are changing the climate (or how much they are to blame regarding changing the climate) will be easy to prove. I'm guessing by the time this gets to the courts the climate will have changed again and that the lawyers who initiated the lawsuits will, by then, be working for Exxon. Maybe at worst, Exxon will neither admit or deny guilt and be fined an amount that will outrage the public. I'm holding on to Exxon.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The **** are at it again and you wonder why large numbers with money are leaving. NY will do anything for a buck. Exxon has little if any footprint in NY. The big corp in NY are left alone until they start leaving, then watch out. Guess what **** stands for?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
The **** are at it again and you wonder why large numbers with money are leaving. NY will do anything for a buck. Exxon has little if any footprint in NY. The big corp in NY are left alone until they start leaving, then watch out. Guess what **** stands for?

Problem is that almost all stocks and bonds are issued under NY law.... so they cannot ignore this even if they had zero footprint in NY state....
Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm long on XOM. Very well run Oil Co.
Could be time to add more to my individual stock holdings.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

XOM is held in rather high percentage in one of my MFs. As so often happens, I suspect this will blow over, probably as soon as the next crisis emerges...usually a 2 week window.

As dirt-dob says, might be time to buy.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
XOM is held in rather high percentage in one of my MFs. As so often happens, I suspect this will blow over, probably as soon as the next crisis emerges...usually a 2 week window.

As dirt-dob says, might be time to buy.
Maybe if it hits the $70's again as a good re-entry point if you are considering adding more shares.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When the Coal industry went under attack, they basically went out of business. If the oil attack is extreme enough, XOM could be gone too.

Some public CA pension funds have divested all companies that produce the the majority of their income from coal. it could happen with oil too. XOM is only the one in the crosshairs now.

It's not a short term issue, but we may have already seen the absolute and all-time high of XOM in 2015.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe if it hits the $70's again as a good re-entry point if you are considering adding more shares.

Trying to be patient and entering XOM at a discount is completely a frustrating experience. Yes I know they are upstream, downstream and nat gas... But really... They sold for $100 a share when oil was over $100 and now oil is half that, XOM is mid 80s? I don't get it... No deal there, but what do I know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Trying to be patient and entering XOM at a discount is completely a frustrating experience. Yes I know they are upstream, downstream and nat gas... But really... They sold for $100 a share when oil was over $100 and now oil is half that, XOM is mid 80s? I don't get it... No deal there, but what do I know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is one of the reasons I started the thread...is XOM overvalued @ $45 oil in the light of the attack on their credibility with respect to "climate change" (aka,"global warming")?

I'm just looking for our membership points of view as we are all astute investors and intelligent people.