Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think my life will be just the same the day after the Facebook IPO as the day before. That's sort of one of the goals I have now post-ER: no big swings one way or the other!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Government Motors has no idea what they are doing.
That's how they got where they are today.
So you are betting against Buffett. Good for you! I think maybe he is getting senile.

IBM, GM! Where has my Oracle gone?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Government Motors has no idea what they are doing.
That's how they got where they are today. }

My order is in for 500 @ 25.00. Just for fun. Will I get it?
Who cares? LOL LOL

If you leave it open... I'm guessing you'll get it sometime next week. Or at least by the end of the month.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ipo @ $38
SRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
$16B in IPO stock sales tomorrow @ 9:30 ET or so. Many new millionaires in the SJ area. Got anything to sell them...house, car, gadget?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got 100sh of Facebook out of 1200sh requested from Fidelity. That was half of the requests for two accounts and nothing (so far) from the 1000sh request in my third account. Not sure how they decided that, but I'll have a little fun at least.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Crazy...

9:46 AM Facebook (FB) hasn't begun trading in the U.S. yet, but in Germany, bids of €58.20 ($74) are being placed, according to Bloomberg. That nearly amounts to a doubling from the company's $38 IPO price, and would translate into a market cap north of $200B
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #48

FB is now showing up as $40.13 in the US @ 11:41 EST.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #49

Looks like they priced it pretty well. Nice to see the original owners get the cash instead of the IPO buyers.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #50

Well I went ahead and bought 500 hundred shares @38.50, we'll see how this goes, totally a short term speculation on my part but I really like the odds, the amount of negative press this has been getting just made me want to do this!

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Well I went ahead and bought 500 hundred shares @38.50, we'll see how this goes, totally a short term speculation on my part but I really like the odds, the amount of negative press this has been getting just made me want to do this!
Nice buy in a dip it looks like.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I am not seeing the mania I thought I would. Maybe the syndicate raised the IPO price to make sure that speculators had to pay up a little..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am not seeing the mania I thought I would. Maybe the syndicate raised the IPO price to make sure that speculators had to pay up a little..........
I think the mania got taken care of when they raised the price up to $38 and then added a lot more shares to the IPO from 337 mil to 421 mil shares. I read somewhere this has only happened in < 4% of all IPOs.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Provocative if nothing else...
'The Golden Age of Silicon Valley Is Over, and We're Dancing on its Grave' - Derek Thompson - Business - The Atlantic
Quote:
'The Golden Age of Silicon Valley Is Over, and We're Dancing on its Grave'

THOMPSON: What does the Facebook IPO mean for Silicon Valley?

BLANK: I think it's the beginning of the end of the valley as we know it. Silicon Valley historically would invest in science, and technology, and, you know, actual silicon. If you were a good VC you could make $100 million. Now there's a new pattern created by two big ideas. First, for the first time ever, you have computer devices, mobile and tablet especially, in the hands of billions of people. Second is that we are moving all the social needs that we used to do face-to-face, and we're doing them on a computer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Didn't and have no immediate plans to buy FB. Interesting how it opened and closed right aroung $38. I do, however, have a suggestion for a corporate theme song.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #56

Pretty clear that the IPO managers had to support the price at $38 quite a bit of the day. Looks like the biggest IPO's aren't as much fun as the smaller ones.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

TV Show "Person of Interest" or Facebook?

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it.......
Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up...we'll find you."

How convenient for any government to know what every citizen is up to; who their friends are, what organizations they belong to, where they are right now. And we fill in the information for them!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Pretty clear that the IPO managers had to support the price at $38 quite a bit of the day. Looks like the biggest IPO's aren't as much fun as the smaller ones.

I don't know about that. One of my former colleagues has been director of global marketing at Facebook for 3 years. Looking at the smiles on these facebook employees faces (my friend is 2nd from left), it looks like this IPO was plenty fun.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Let's see, when the lockup expires the shares might still be above $30. These guys got theirs for what... a nickel each? I guess they could live with that.

I wonder how many of them are going to be at FB five years from now. I include Zuckerberg in that speculation.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

It's not like he could spend it all.

Paul Allen spent a lot for a few years, survived illness, then invested in a lot of companies including the biggest patent troll around.

But he didn't seem to have a lot of drive to make new products. Now he mostly writes checks.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote