Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

What a nice way to end the story.

He and his fiance got married today!!
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw a mention in that marriage story, that Zuckerberg still controls 56% of the voting shares. So IPO or not, it's still under his control to do anything he wants.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom View Post
Quote from the bride's family:
"Such a nice young man. He offered to supply all the wedding photographers-- and he didn't even ask for a dowry!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Let's see, when the lockup expires the shares might still be above $30. These guys got theirs for what... a nickel each? I guess they could live with that.

I wonder how many of them are going to be at FB five years from now. I include Zuckerberg in that speculation.
I wonder if Facebook will still be around in five years. It's losing its appeal with "the kids." Their grandparents use Facebook.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #65

Quote:

Since the IPO issued, it'll be easier to value Facebook (premarriage assets) in the prenup agreement.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Their grandparents use Facebook.
Ironically, they started using it so that they could keep up with the latest news on the kids...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wonder if Facebook will still be around in five years. It's losing its appeal with "the kids." Their grandparents use Facebook.
They just mentioned on one of the morning shows today that FB users have declined. My husband said right away that Zuck wasn't dumb, he knows the business is dwindling and made it public before it lost too much appeal.

Then I told him, "I forgot to tell you I bought some". Oh well.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know they got almost a billion users around the world. They may not be able to make enough money from those users to satisfy Wall Street but it's hard to imagine some other service replacing it.

It's the new way to communicate -- people aren't going back just to email and instant messaging.

Sure a new service or network can come displace it but it will take a long time. When they perceived a threat, they bought Instagram for 1 billion in FB stock.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I don't know they got almost a billion users around the world. They may not be able to make enough money from those users to satisfy Wall Street but it's hard to imagine some other service replacing it.
A billion users means nothing. I have an account and haven't looked at it for several months. They have to generate earnings and revenue which based on the $38/shr FB has a PE over 100. I haven't dug through their financials but I don't hear anyone touting their great cash flow either.

I think Z-man was pretty smart to pull a few billion out. Many insiders also dumped large stakes. I think Friday involved a lot of support from the investment bankers that did the offering. They didn't want it to close at $20/shr. We'll see what the market really values the stock in the next 6 to 12 months.

I own none of it and would just as soon have my index funds avoid it for 12 months. I don't know when they have to include it in the total market index.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

Property owned prior to the marriage...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
A billion users means nothing. I have an account and haven't looked at it for several months.
They report they have 500 million active (daily) users, may have been pre IPO hype. There have been social media sites that have peaked and fallen out of favor like MySpace, and users seem to jump to the newest thing, so we'll see whether FB has staying power. Will they be like Google, or more like AltaVista or Bing?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... and users seem to jump to the newest thing, so we'll see whether FB has staying power.
Is there a "newest thing" yet?

I don't think our daughter invested anywhere near as much time on her MySpace page as she has on Facebook. FB has created a huge black hole of user "sunk costs" that would really discourage starting another account... as g+ is learning.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

timber... stock down more than 15% in the first 20 minutes this morning. Now way under its IPO starting point.

that was faster than I expected... though not at all surprising.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #74

Sank right past my day order from Friday that never got filled.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #75

Quote:

I don't think our daughter invested anywhere near as much time on her MySpace page as she has on Facebook. FB has created a huge black hole of user "sunk costs" that would really discourage starting another account... as g+ is learning.
Yes, but.....

What is she doing to generate Facebook revenue? It's all about advertizing. FB ultimately doesn't care how many blurry photos of drunken college partying she posts.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not that I know of (yet), though your daughter is undoubtedly more knowledgeable than I am. But there will always be challengers. Like I mentioned, FB might have staying power like Google (Bing has been a relative flop in comparison) or they might get picked off like so many search and social media sites before. Your daughter will know before I do...

I wonder if she and her friends are influenced by the advertising, making purchases all or partly as a result of what they see on FB?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Zuckerberg knows more than most people (okay, more than I do) about technology being fleeting--something will usurp Facebook at some point, of course. Like some of the things in this article:

Quote:
As my newborn son grows to match the size of a mid-tower desktop, a large-screen TV and eventually a server rack, I can’t help but think about all the gadgets he won’t even remember using that were so important to his dad. I’m not talking about long dead-and-buried technologies such as the VHS recorder or the 35mm camera. Rather, I’m thinking about devices and concepts most of us use today that will fall out of mainstream use so soon that he either won’t remember them, or will only have very hazy memories of having lived with them.
15 Current Technologies A Child Born Today Will Never Use - Yahoo! News
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Zuckerberg knows more than most people (okay, more than I do) about technology being fleeting--something will usurp Facebook at some point, of course. Like some of the things in this article:
I'm not so sure about that. I give the guy credit for holding on to his idea and not selling it back in 2006/2007 when companies like Yahoo were offering him $1 billion... but he really thinks that Facebook is going to continue to change the world.

Maybe it will... but as you said, technology is fleeting. What happens when we move to Web 3.0 or Web 4.0 and suddenly Facebook's model no longer applies and people have moved on to something else.

Zuckerberg seems to think that Facebook will evolve with those changes and remain on top. In some of his interviews he gives off an arrogance that nothing in the world will be able to touch Facebook someday... like it's destine to become bigger than Microsoft and Apple combined.

My opinion is that the guy is very passionate about his work... almost to a fault. He's going to go down with the ship rather than selling or adapting to the market because he's going to think of himself as the next Steve Jobs... when really he's just a kid who ran with an idea that many other people had at the same time (facebooks creation was not unique... it just gobbled up the couple dozen other sites offering social media personalized pages at the time, and ended up on top - he is an excellent marketer/businessman.. not an innovator, IMO)
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #79

After sucking $18 B out in real money, I'd be willing to go down with the ship (mataphorically speaking, of course). Based on his experience level, I doubt he'd ever really see the demise of FB before it was obvious to everyone else in the world.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

What would Web 3.0 be?

I think it may be like a game of musical chairs and a lot of these Internet companies are the survivors. FB joined relatively late but the social networking field probably has room for a handful of players.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote