Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fed holds rates, sets date to unwind $4.5 trillion balance sheet
Old 09-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fed holds rates, sets date to unwind $4.5 trillion balance sheet

OK, In layman's terms what will this do to stocks and bonds?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I predict that some will go up, and some will go down.

But that's just my guess...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I predict that some will go up, and some will go down.
And I think just the opposite will happen.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And I think just the opposite will happen.
Good enough for me....you can't both be wrong.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Both stock and bonds will crash. ER's will either have to claim SS early, or dust off their resume to go back to work, or apply for jobs at Walmart.

Oh, but people will say that this should be all anticipated and built-in to the price of assets already, so maybe things may just tread water.

Anyway, this morning I went with my wife for a grocery run, got home at around 11:30AM local time, checked my stocks and saw that I was down more than $12K. Wow! Have not had a day this bad recently.

Must have something to do with the Fed, but could not investigate right away as I needed to go to Home Depot to get some lumber to bring up to the boondocks home soon for a project.

Came back home after the market closed, and saw that the market recovered, and I am down only $339 for the day, but this is before MF reporting.

Market volatility is back. Fun time!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

It doesn't look like it did much today one way or another.

I wish they'd unwind more quickly.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Both stock and bonds will crash. ER's will either have to claim SS early, or dust off their resume to go back to work, or apply for jobs at Walmart.

Oh, but people will say that this should be all anticipated and built-in to the price of assets already, so maybe things may just tread water.

Anyway, this morning I went with my wife for a grocery run, got home at around 11:30AM local time, checked my stocks and saw that I was down more than $12K. Wow! Have not had a day this bad recently.

Must have something to do with the Fed, but could not investigate right away as I needed to go to Home Depot to get some lumber to bring up to the boondocks home soon for a project.

Came back home after the market closed, and saw that the market recovered, and I am down only $339 for the day, but this is before MF reporting.

Market volatility is back. Fun time!
Wow, if you haven't been down more than $12K in a day in stocks for a long time, volatility has been super low!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some interesting things.
  • They start the unwind in October this year rather than December.
  • The skipped an interest rate rise this time, implied one for December, and indicated maybe one fewer less year than expected. Overall fewer rate rises than expected.
I'm not sure these specifics were baked into the markets, so maybe the markets need more time to digest these details.

It does seem to signal slightly less confidence in the US economy.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It does seem to signal slightly less confidence in the US economy.
I listened to Yellen's entire spiel and got the opposite impression. She essentially said the economy is making solid gains and that's expected to continue. That was about the same time markets reversed their drop and gained everything back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (19.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
I listened to Yellen's entire spiel and got the opposite impression. She essentially said the economy is making solid gains and that's expected to continue. That was about the same time markets reversed their drop and gained everything back:
They had planned to be a bit more aggressive with rate rises and dialed back slightly. I don't think Yellen would downtalk the US economy at this point. Solid gains is a wide range.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #11

10 billion a month ramping up to 50 billion a month has got to be deflationary and will contract the money supply. QE was like rocket fuel for the markets, this is QE in reverse. Uncharted territory ahead.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #12

+1

Simplified: Fed buying bonds with newly created money == more dollars in circulation == inflationary push. It's an untested way solving the problem of how to lower interest rates below zero.

So the inverse should mean: deflation push. Since we are approaching the 2% inflation target this might be a good time to start doing that. Note that it is not actively unwinding: the Fed just stops buying and doesn't renew debt, resulting a natural wind down. In terms of interest rates: it should push them up as well.

For bonds this is not so good news in the short term, for stocks it depends, but generally also not so favorable. Which is why they are only doing it now: with a robust economy the hits are easier to absorb and might actually be flattened out by growth.

But in the end: nobody really knows. Most are advising to keep bonds short in duration, and beware interest sensitive industries (real estate) a bit more than usual.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, if you haven't been down more than $12K in a day in stocks for a long time, volatility has been super low!
You made me having 2nd thoughts. So, looked at my records.

On Aug 17, 2017, I "lost" almost $30K (but I have set new highs since). That's only 1 month ago

My "superior memory" is getting shot!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
10 billion a month ramping up to 50 billion a month has got to be deflationary and will contract the money supply. QE was like rocket fuel for the markets, this is QE in reverse. Uncharted territory ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
+1

Simplified: Fed buying bonds with newly created money == more dollars in circulation == inflationary push. It's an untested way solving the problem of how to lower interest rates below zero.

So the inverse should mean: deflation push. Since we are approaching the 2% inflation target this might be a good time to start doing that. Note that it is not actively unwinding: the Fed just stops buying and doesn't renew debt, resulting a natural wind down. In terms of interest rates: it should push them up as well.

For bonds this is not so good news in the short term, for stocks it depends, but generally also not so favorable. Which is why they are only doing it now: with a robust economy the hits are easier to absorb and might actually be flattened out by growth.

But in the end: nobody really knows. Most are advising to keep bonds short in duration, and beware interest sensitive industries (real estate) a bit more than usual.

Thank you both, These are the things I wanted to learn about.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
They will either go up, or down. Unless they stay the same. Or a combination of all three, depending on your time frame.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You made me having 2nd thoughts. So, looked at my records.

On Aug 17, 2017, I "lost" almost $30K (but I have set new highs since). That's only 1 month ago

My "superior memory" is getting shot!
LOL!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
They will either go up, or down. Unless they stay the same. Or a combination of all three, depending on your time frame.
I think 2 guys beat you to this answer, I thought maybe it was like a nuclear attack against a country, In that case I would think stocks would plummet. Since I never even knew what QE actually did, but everyone said its propping up the market, I thought this would lower the market.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think 2 guys beat you to this answer, I thought maybe it was like a nuclear attack against a country, In that case I would think stocks would plummet. Since I never even knew what QE actually did, but everyone said its propping up the market, I thought this would lower the market.
It probably will ....... eventually ........

that's the rub!

The punch bowl is slowly being drained. But the party might last for a while.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
It probably will ....... eventually ........

that's the rub!

The punch bowl is slowly being drained. But the party might last for a while.
Ahh, OK.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #20

Then: Fed boosting money supply. Yay, more money for everyone! Stocks go up.
Now: Fed reducing money supply. Yay, economy must be good! Stocks go up.
Future: Fed increasing interest rates enough to finally tame inflation. Boo, economy will be cooling. Stocks go down.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote