Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many news stories out yesterday about DOJ investigation of generic drug manufacturers. Combine that with election news...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

On the Web, they are calling it a "biowreck". I do not have as much as Fermion, but enough to feel the pain.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

So, shortly at the market open I held my nose and bought a token amount of a biotech ETF I already have. I think I already overweighted biotech relative to the S&P, so bought just a bit for the bragging right that I bought at the bottom.

Well, the sector is moving up today. It's too early to see if the gain holds, and the sector will continue to recover. Else, I just threw away good money after bad.

Darn, buying low is never that easy, yet people just never learn. When some stocks recover, they always say "woulda, shoulda", but when given the chance to buy, they just stand there, shaking in their boots.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

They also say things about catching a falling knife.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

There's that!

So, one has to ask "If I am wrong, is it going to be a minor cut, or getting my hand chopped off?".

Old 11-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Probably everyone else will get their hand cut eventually. Big biotech has a much lower average PE than the rest of the market and I do not see a oversupply like oil to justify a long term crash. Either everyone else eventually joins the losing club with their investments or biotech will have its day.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Having nearly 1/2 in cash, and little in bond, I expect to suffer cuts requiring no more than stitches, and if I am really really lucky, just band aids.

Can't afford major surgeries or have my hand reattached, not with healthcare as expensive as it is now.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, shortly at the market open I held my nose and bought a token amount of a biotech ETF I already have. I think I already overweighted biotech relative to the S&P, so bought just a bit for the bragging right that I bought at the bottom.

Well, the sector is moving up today. It's too early to see if the gain holds, and the sector will continue to recover. Else, I just threw away good money after bad. ...
So, the market fizzled out on Friday, but this biotech ETF held out for a 5% gain from where I bought. Today, the S&P went up 2.22%, but all of my biotech holdings went up a lot more.

Yep, it's like playing with fire. Not recommended for the weak hearted. Big gains come with the risk of big losses. No exceptions.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:36 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Biotech is exploding higher premarket. I guess the reaction was predicted if we got certain results, but man if those gains hold up people who bought in recently at the "bottom" like NW are sitting pretty. I am green right now, which is awesome.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Ah, it may not be enough to cancel out my loss elsewhere, such as EM. Oh well, it's better than losing everywhere.

This shows one should stay diversified. I have learned never to go "all the way" in anything, although I often overweigh depressed sectors.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SOLD 500 at $79.005 - still have 795 shares. All in the green
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

I am looking to lighten up on biotechs. Just sold a covered call on an ETF.

I always spread out my trades, and do just a few contracts at a time. If it continues to go up, I will sell more calls.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I sold some Gilead at $80, should have sold more. I re-bought at $75 today but it may go lower still.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

So, biotech slumps today. If this continues, my consolation is the premium from the covered call I sold last week.

Did I say that these covered calls amount to 1% of portfolio return for me in the last 12 months? They mostly expired worthless. When one's WR is 3 or 4%, every percent counts.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I am trying to figure out year end taxes and have not bought back all of the biotech I sold.

I have about $40,000 in realized gains in bio and about $15,000 in unrealized loss (both for this tax year). If bio takes off again before end of the year I will be over the ACA limit but if I were to sell and realize the losses, my total gain would put me just about right for my subsidy.

Not sure what to do...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Bought back 4000 of Endocyte today at $2.72

I have no idea why it is trading so low again as there is not any obvious news. Tax selling? It is trading for about 90% of cash on hand.

Selling these shares at $3.05 sometime this year hopefully.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Seeing that biotech is halting its slide, I just bought to close out an out-of-the-money option call I sold less than 2 weeks ago.

Did not make a lot of money (a 3-figure sum). In fact the gain will not even cover the 3-day cost of a BnB apartment in Cinque Terre I am going rent for the trip next spring. Still, every little bit into that travel piggy bank helps.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Biotechs take it on the chin today. Not just biotech but all pharmas. Aye, aye, aye...

I am up well overall, but only 3/5 of what it could be without the pharmas. Aye, aye, aye...

Will I, or dare I buy more? No, I am not selling, but I have enough to cry "Uncle".

Old 12-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Every other company is allowed to make money for their investors, but not biotech
Old 12-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

You are better off making a living selling non-essential products.

I remember in 2003 reading about phone companies making $1 billion selling ring tones. Yes, simple ring tones in those days to allow people to customize their phones. It's not a matter of life-and-death, and people did not have to buy the ring tones, but they did. Ka ching!