Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

At least we are seeing some positive light with GILD - although still needs to go a bit more until I am in the green. And the .47 ex-div yesterday doesn't hurt either

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tow of the pure biotechs mentioned early on in this thread are discussed (AMGN and ABBV).

The video includes a brief initial fundamental analysis on the following five fairly valued healthcare selections: AbbVie Inc. (ABBV), AmerisourceBergen Corporation (ABC), Amgen Inc. (AMGN), Cardinal Health Inc. (CAH) and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA).

Old 12-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting data shown for ABBV, which I have never looked at. The increase in earnings over the last 5 years was impressive at double digits.

However, when I went on my brokerage site to look at it some more, found that the free cash flow increase was only 2.2% annually.

So, what gives? I would like to understand that more.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #124

Here is the FCF chart. I do not recall if this was in the video.
Attached Images
File Type: png ABBV FCF Capture.PNG (89.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #125

Gilead was going up but took a hit on the chin when a jury awarded Merck some 10% royalty on Gilead's HCV drugs. Gilead bought Pharmasset and Merck bought Identix. Evidently Identix thinks it had a patent before Pharmasset although the case is far from over and will be appealed.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I sold 3/4 of gains in Fidelity Select Biotech from mid 2014 to 2015, but will start slowly buying back chunks now and in 2017. I suspect the sector is now showing notable comparative value, although it may take a year or two to stabilize.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #127

Had to sell all of my Gilead the past few days for tax reasons, except for 500 shares in a IRA. It is down some $2 a share from where I sold and extremely hard not to buy back

Biotech in general is really taking on the chin for an industry that is supposedly just awash in money and profit. Especially compared to the rest of the stock market profit and earnings.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #128

Of course biotech and Gilead are up huge. Figures. I should have bought IBB at $265 when I sold my Gilead.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Of course biotech and Gilead are up huge. Figures. I should have bought IBB at $265 when I sold my Gilead.
Yes, that timing stuff is tricky, for sure. I'm still holding Gilead shares (300 of them) that I bought near $90. I am in no rush to sell, and maybe with their 10 or so drugs slated for approval within the next year or so, the stock will pop much higher. Since those shares are in my IRA, I have not had the ability to sell any for tax purposes.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my biotech investments in XBI and BBH. I noticed a relatively new/small ETF -- ALPS Medical Breakthroughs ETF (SBIO). Anyone put their money in it?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just holding my GILD shares and not paying much attention to the daily price. At some point over the next 2-4 years the PE will come up despite declining HepC revenues.
I'm thinking of slowly putting cash into FBIOX, which I've had for years and sold gains in 2014 and 2015. I also have a slightly larger position in FSPHX, but I generally don't try to take gains from it like I do FBIOX when it takes a rocket trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, that timing stuff is tricky, for sure. I'm still holding Gilead shares (300 of them) that I bought near $90. I am in no rush to sell, and maybe with their 10 or so drugs slated for approval within the next year or so, the stock will pop much higher. Since those shares are in my IRA, I have not had the ability to sell any for tax purposes.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GILD and biotech ETFs like IBB and XBI have been treading water for the last 6 months. This sector has become a pariah by Wall St, but it looks like they are not going lower.

Short-term trading is tough, so I will just hold them for a while.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

EXAS

Some time ago I mentioned EXAS Exact Sciences, maker of Cologuard, DNA based colon cancer test. It has been moving upward the last few days but today it was up $2.88 or 19.07% on a preliminary 4th quarter result. CEO was on Fox's Business News with Maria B. this morning.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/52754...#sp=show-clips
Old 01-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #134

Went for 50 shares of BMY Bristol-Myers Squibb.
It was on sale today, having dropped more than 10% on bad news about OPDIVO lung cancer drug trials.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #135

Gillead after trading above it's 200 day moving average from the end of 2011 to mid 2015 the stock went from 18 to 105, since it has been below the 200 day moving average for 18 months. Currently the 200 day moving average is at 79.45 and the chart of Gillead looks like the downward slope of a big hill.

While I am not a very strict advocate of charting, the inability to get over the 200 day moving average for over a year indicates either Gillead is building a big base of support as sellers continue to control the story and they all need to get out, or else there simply is no buying interest as people in the know continue to sell their stock when Gillead rallies because there are not insiders giving good stories to their friends. I have no way of knowing but utilizing the 200 day moving average if you like Gillead for the long term is a good way to time your entry, wait for Gillead to break through and if it does it should be in a convincing manner with some good news.

If you are in and out of Gillead for short term moves then this would not apply to you but the steady decline must be kept in context of the nearly 20 billion Gillead has spent in the last two years buying the stock back to reduce shares by 155 million while their sales continue to decline. Now because of new issuance (probably to management for their compensation I am not actually bothering to do a full financial review) the actual cost of declining the shares by 155 million is $129 per share. These huge purchases have not even enabled Gillead to be able to crack over it's 200 day moving average but instead have enabled the stock to maintain a smooth decline as the past 18 months have gone by. Waiting for the stock to break over the 200 day moving average and stay there is a way to let you know that after a long decline the market sees better things for Gillead, in the meantime the smooth downtrend is just continuing
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #136

Not really into charts but this year tax wash sale rules sure have saved me a ton of money on Gilead. I had to sell out in the mid $70s before the end of 2016 and cannot buy back until near the end of Jan. Gilead is getting really close to $69. Already I dodged a $8000 paper loss.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

If GILD breaks under 70 I put in an order for 750 shares.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #138

It did go just under $70 briefly. I still have to wait about 5 days before I can buy and avoid wash sale problems from tax year 2016.

If they didn't have that silly Merck lawsuit ruling hanging over their head I would be wringing my hands that I couldn't buy here at $69.90 or whatever. I think there will be some negative reaction if they try to adjust the next earnings to account for the lawsuit money. A 2% to 5% drop from whatever it is before earnings.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my order filled at $69.94
Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #140

Following Biogen's planned spin off BioVeratiiv (BIVV)
Love spin offs
Had a nice return with Baxalta