Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity "core" choices?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fidelity "core" choices?

I'm fiddling with setting the "core"/default investments on several Fidelity accounts. Some currently default to a FDIC bank account paying about 0.25%. I have set one (HSA account thats gotta stay liquid) to use SPAXX.

Other than the HSA, most accounts will have <1K in them, various left overs from buying CDs in increments of 1K but occasionally more when waiting for a batch of CDs to accumulate.

Any suggestions for choosing a core holding at Fidelity?

Or even finding a list of what funds are eligible to be a core holding?
Whats your favorite (small minimum investment) holding tank?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Whats your favorite (small minimum investment) holding tank?
Any no-commission ETF.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of our core positions are FZFXX (Fidelity Treasury Money Market Fund), which currently yields 1.89%... same as SPAXX (Fidelity Government Money Market), which is my only other choice. The only non-trivial amount of cash we have at Fidelity is in our cash management account, which we use like a checking account. So, while it's not quite as high as their MMFs or online savings, it is nice to have a high-yielding option for our "checking" account.

You can view your core choices and make changes on the "Positions" tab of any account. Click your current core and then there's a big green button called "Change Core Position." For some reason, some accounts cannot be changed, or ask that you call. For example, my HSA has just a couple dollars cash, but the core is the FDIC-insured deposit sweep that pays near nothing. When I click to change the core, I get this:

Quote:
Note: There Are No Other Core Options for This Account
There are no other core options available for your account. Additional options might be available by calling a Fidelity representative at 800-544-6666.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FDRXX - Fidelity Government Cash Reserves is another choice. Current yield is 1.94%.