Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave my 20 YO niece a small stipend for her birthday and directed her to open a zero/zero at Fido. I also gave her a card with a Benjamin along with a copy of Millionaire Teacher (she's studying to be a teacher). Told her to spend the Benjamin on dinner and a movie with her SO.

My favorite uncle status is still secure.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK, so that’s happening today. I knew it would be in Nov. All 4 classes of index fund are switching to the institutional premium class ticker. All index fund ERs were already reduced to the lowest a few months ago.

This is independent of the zero funds.
That's why I started the sentence with "BTW".
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I gave my 20 YO niece a small stipend for her birthday and directed her to open a zero/zero at Fido. I also gave her a card with a Benjamin along with a copy of Millionaire Teacher (she's studying to be a teacher). Told her to spend the Benjamin on dinner and a movie with her SO.

My favorite uncle status is still secure.
+1
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a small rollover IRA and Roth with Fido and have bought a bit of all three funds starting last month. My plan is to slowly sell my remaining existing positions to buy the zero funds. I’m not ashamed to pick up loose change when I see it.
fvfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVFIRE View Post
I have a small rollover IRA and Roth with Fido and have bought a bit of all three funds starting last month. My plan is to slowly sell my remaining existing positions to buy the zero funds. I’m not ashamed to pick up loose change when I see it.
Then you need to post more here so that you can be declared as somebody who recycles dryer sheets!
FIDO's Zero Cost Index Funds
Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #26

FIDO's Zero Cost Index Funds

There’s no guarantee that these free funds will save you money. The reality is that index funds in this class all have low ERs. If there is a slight tracking error, then there goes the savings.

I was curious about this on another thread here and noticed that an equivalent Vanguard fund was “cheaper” even with a higher ER.

My take is that this a marketing ploy from Fidelity. It sounds good, but if you look closely, there’s not much there.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
BTW recently, Fidelity reduced the e/r on many of their index funds. For example, all of their total market index funds now have the same e/r. And as of close of business today, many of the separate classes of their index funds will be consolidated into a single ticker.
Something to look forward to this weekend, along with the end of DST!
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I was curious about this on another thread here and noticed that an equivalent Vanguard fund was “cheaper” even with a higher ER.
We won't know this until the Zero funds start distributing dividends. A lot of the "comparisons"in blogs using existing funds were from before Fidelity dropped their fees
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
If there is a slight tracking error, then there goes the savings.
Tracking error can be positive or negative, it might leave you with higher returns than the targeted index. The issue would be the volatility you were exposed to: if you get higher returns than the targeted index, there's a good chance you also owned riskier stocks than the target index. And the reverse is true, also: if you got lower returns than the targeted index, you were likely in less volatile stocks. In general, anyway.
I think many people put too much emphasis on benchmarking. Unless the managers are engaged in shenanigans, risk-adjusted returns are probably the same as the index even if the returns themselves are not the same. Obviously, if the returns are wildly different from the index, it's worth figuring out if the error is random or systematic.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #30

Does anyone know if these funds are transferable to other investment houses? I would hate to accrue capital gains then realize I would have to liquidate in order to switch brokerage houses.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Does anyone know if these funds are transferable to other investment houses? I would hate to accrue capital gains then realize I would have to liquidate in order to switch brokerage houses.
They are not. From the summary prospectus:
Shares of the fund are available only to individual retail investors who purchase their shares through a Fidelity brokerage account, including retail non-retirement accounts, retail retirement accounts (traditional, Roth and SEP Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)), health savings accounts (HSAs), and stock plan services accounts.