Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Hmmm..not sure a 60/40 AA is right for everyone. Circumstances (and age) vary.

My own AA is less than 30% stocks..mid 50s.
Perhaps, but 60/40 would probably work out quite well for over 90% of early retirees... so the OP could do a lot worse. The reality is that success rates between 50/50 and 90/10 are all pretty similar.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
Hmmm..not sure a 60/40 AA is right for everyone. Circumstances (and age) vary.

My own AA is less than 30% stocks..mid 50s.
Well mine is about 90% stocks, so on average together we are 60%

Frankly, I agree with Running_Man recommendation of 60/40 That is where I'm headed.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfitter View Post
My company doesn't match our 401k and I am not a very savvy investor. I should have gotten professional help years ago, but, water under the bridge.
I am retiring this October. My 401k is just under 400k. How should I go about finding a good FA? Are they willing to help people with small accounts? Is it financially prudent to pay for advice?

I just went through this process and decided on a fee only, Garret Group CFP, that only charges for the financial plan. For us it was $1500. He does not manage your assets and take commissions or charge any annual fees based on your assets or anything like that. He simply advises.

The other ones we interviewed in person and via a ZOOM meeting seemed too anxious to take over our money and invest them in their own funds and charge percentage of our assets every year. One even wanted to invest 95% of our money in the stock market!
We wanted to keep our money with T Rowe Price and just have someone guide us about the allocations and type of investments.

He has a holistic approach and deals with all interrelated concerns for retirement, including selling our home and our our move out of state.

He will help us in terms of how to allocate our funds and also takes tax considerations into account with Roth IRA conversions and so forth. How to withdraw our money and live on it in retirement, etc.

He advises regarding insurance and estate issues and can recommend professionals in those areas IF YOU WANT. He sells nothing. And- as in our case, he will take your risk tolerance into consideration and advise accordingly.

EX: He mentioned a Qualified Income Annuity as a possibility and that he could refer us to a professional who sells the. We told him we hate annuities. He did not flinch and is working on the plan without one.

Have met with him twice already and will be meeting with him again in a few weeks. So far just paid him a deposit. He also contacts us by phone and email for information to help him formulate the plan.

From there, we can contact him ongoing with questions. And it we want next year we can put him on a retainer fee or just pay him for another plan whenever we need him in the upcoming years. He can work with us remotely also, as we plan to move.

And- Garret Group advisors will help anyone no matter what the size of your assets.

Just be careful because not all fee only advisors are REALLY fee only. Some will say they are fee only when they are fee based- meaning no commissions, just a fee- but there is a wide girth on what a fee(s) might be.

With the Garret group ones you still have to interview them and explain what you want out of your relationship. It is important that your styles and personalities jive.

I suggest you look one up in your area, but don't discount working with one remotely..

https://garrettplanningnetwork.com/

BTW- T Rowe Price also has an advisory service I utilize as well, but I am careful with them also as they always want your cash outside of their accounts to be invested with them. But I do find it a bit helpful, as well as the tools they have on line. Other companies like Fidelity and Vanguard also have this service. Just keep in mind all these companies have a bit of bias, but really you can't go wrong with with just investing in some index funds- stocks, bonds and international. Make sure you have a large cash emergency fund at a bank. Keep it simple and learn as you go along.

But try to get a good fee only advisor to help you put everything together for your retirement life.
meleana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a great video on YouTube from "Our Rich Journey" that discusses 3 top index funds (1 from Vanguard, Fidelity, and Charles Schwab). They are extremely low in expenses and think they track the entire S&P500. Whatever they track works. It is a "lower risk" (if you can say that) investment in the market.

Pick whichever of the 3 companies above that you use or want to use and stick to it.

The key to investing is investing.

Congratulations on have around 400k!!

FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Not prudent to pay.
2. Spend 5 hours reading at https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=10
3. Rollover your 401k to an IRA at Fidelity, Schwab or Vanguard. Take control of your money.
4. Edward Jones is evil.

As if you read my mind.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I'd go with Merrill Lynch.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

(Sorry-long Post)I am pretty much on the other side of the fence when it comes to FA’s. I am lucky and have have been investing with mine for over 15 years. I have a 30 year history in HR and was admin of many 401k plans so I’m not green but I know what I don’t want to focus on. It’s definitely a personal choice and I applaud those who are comfortable taking charge of their own plans. I just want to point out that not everyone is comfortable or interested in doing it. And for me that money is well spent. My team has provided invaluable advice and guidance over the years. If I count all the years of counsel and help for my sister and I when I had no money invested with them and only a 401k that they didn’t admin, the ROI on my current management fees is pretty good for me. I’m not talking a ton of money either. My dad started with a 235k lump sum in 1986 that supported him and my mom for 15/25 years and left a 1m inheritance for my sibling and me. I benefitted from their (Ameriprise) advice and counsel because of my parents business until I started investing small amounts ( fee only) in 2006. As my portfolio grew and became more complicated ( investments from an IPO, exercising stock options and others) we moved to a management fee. I am not passive with my portfolio and we meet quarterly and I never hesitate to pick up the phone to ask a question or seek advice. I credit them with helping me realize my dream of retiring at 58. Just another opinion that in some cases good advice might be worth the money!
NorthNola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We have a few shares of Ameriprise, so I hope it does well, and attracts investors for a long time.

OTH, there are articles such as this, which attribute the highest fees to Ameriprise:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is...ame-2017-11-16

If I were under a contract with Ameriprise, articles like that would set me off on a journey of understanding the bottom line. However, for one who has enough, the fees probably don't matter at all, and it would be ok, and not worthy of investigation.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNola View Post
.......... I benefited from their (Ameriprise) advice and counsel .........
Glad you are happy with Ameriprise. A quick search here will show others' experiences which are not so glowing.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Is it financially prudent to pay for advice?

A more prudent path may be to trot down to your public library and pick up as many books that are written by John C. Bogle. It will also be less expensive. Make sure that you also read the books.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

As some have touched there are different types of advisors. Financial advisors (more big picture), Investment advisors (help steer your investment choices), Estate planning (wills, trusts, insurance, etc).

If one is looking for investment advice I think there are many good resources online about investing in low cost broad based indexes, as people here have already mentioned. I do not think it is worth spending some % of assets annually to get help picking out a broad based index fund(s). Though it could be worthwhile to pay for advice on setting something up (a one time fee) if one was not comfortable or had questions about achieving their life plan.

A couple of recent articles about retiree portfolios on morningstar (not meant as specific recommendations, just to give some flavor):
https://www.morningstar.com/articles...nimalists.html
https://www.morningstar.com/articles...malist-re.html

In my city there must be 4 or 5 financial shows on the various talk radio stations on the weekend. Most of these shows target people nearing or entering retirement, where they are looking for clients that need 401K investment oversight and/or look to sell an annuity to cover basic retirement expenses. While an annuity might be okay in some circumstances I would recommend avoiding any steak dinners or hard sale of financial services.

In that same vein, I more often listen to the Greg Hicks radio show, and caught part of the one about choosing a financial advisor some weeks ago. It was not their best show but I generally like their advice better than the others. Note their show (like the others) is essentially a long infomercial for you to come see them, but I find that they provide some good basic information over time. If one is unfamiliar with choosing an advisor they may find the "Bad Advice" and "Choosing a Financial Advisor" podcast episodes helpful.
https://1061fmtalk.iheart.com/conten...hicks-podcast/
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

The 2 FA's I interviewed some years ago just wanted to sell me an annuity. When I told one I wasn't interested in an annuity, he said he'd be happy to manage my portfolio for 2-4% AUM. Thanked him and ran.

Honestly, I'm not that smart and this stuff ain't that hard.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
........... he said he'd be happy to manage my portfolio for 2-4% AUM............
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote