Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Website with Watchlist and Charts ?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Financial Website with Watchlist and Charts ?

MarketWatch just re-vamped the website (again) and as it exists now -- it is virtually unreadable. Somebody should tell them that light blue charts on a white background were rejected decades ago. Add to that their absurd mix of articles where their contributors will forecast the next market move (both up and down within the same article) and it is just not a useful tool anymore.

Do you folks have a favorite website for Market Info ?? I like to have a Watch List of the Stocks that I own and any potential buys. Based on my engineering background, I like to look at charts. If there's a story behind a stock, write about the facts. And don't try and predict the next big move.

Where is this favored place on the interwebs ??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

financial news: Bloomberg, CNBC
charts and watchlists: Morningstar
company data: Value Line at the library (Morningstar has some too)

if I want a mid-day view I use ETF's in the watchlist
Yahoo allows one to order the presentation rather then just go alphabetical
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I still use Yahoo. But I am buy and hold so the portfolio does not change much. My discount broker gives a more complete list but they log me off too often.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 for Yahoo, they recently updated view and let you have multiple watch lists. Easier than re-logging into brokerage site since you can leave browser tab open all day with yahoo list that updates constantly.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm totally with you being down on Marketwatch which is a misnomer. Much of the opinions and articles are pure garbage.
Yahoo is a great site to set up your stocks to monitor and get all the data you need. I have used it for many years and don't know of a better one though it may exist. Fidelity is a good source with tools as well if you don't mind logging in and out often.
sheldon cornped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Thanks Guys. I've been poking around on Yahoo today and it's better than MW by a country mile. I think this may be my new Headquarters during the day. I even wrote an email to MW after they changed it last week.....all I got in response was a formatted mail with "Cordially' as a sign off.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned I like Yahoo for the ability to order the presentation of the quotes. Particularly for the short term stuff.

What I like about Morningstar is the ability to see a longer term perspective. You can set up views for a set of stocks, stock funds, bonds, etc. For example, here is one view of asset class stock funds that is reverse ordered by the 3 month returns (just click on the 3 month column to do that):

In this case you can see that small cap value is a laggard but over the 12 month period it was a winner. Are we seeing a new trend? I don't know the answer but I do see the data.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

Thank you for sharing that Morningstar page......very interesting. Con su permiso, I would like to set up with Fido Funds (where most of my Loot is invested). I can see where that view would provide enlightening data.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You mentioned MarketWatch, but have you used bigcharts.marketwatch.com. I really like that format, especially the advanced view. You can graph things like price, earnings per share, and p/e all on the same graph (and see how price moves with those indicators). There are many other indicators as well.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon cornped View Post
I'm totally with you being down on Marketwatch which is a misnomer. Much of the opinions and articles are pure garbage.
Yahoo is a great site to set up your stocks to monitor and get all the data you need. I have used it for many years and don't know of a better one though it may exist. Fidelity is a good source with tools as well if you don't mind logging in and out often.
Garbage? Really? Why just today, their site boasts an article from Robert Kiyosaki who helped Trump University reach the exalted status it now enjoys.
Not good for financial advice of course, but comic relief has its place in these turbulent times.

The No. 1 thing you should do to get rich, according to Robert Kiyosaki - MarketWatch
lawman3966 is offline   Reply With Quote