Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Helpful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Cash, my lady, cash. There's that 3rd choice outside of stocks and bonds.
Oh I have that outside of retirement accounts, over a year of our needs not met by pension/SS.

I do abide by "buckets".

Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I also miss Otto's, Ray's, and Burn's Original BBQ in downtown Houston.
There is one decent place in Reno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrisket View Post
Great point. Got me thinkin' and searchin'; even worse, seeing your avatar has me wishing I was in Houston as I could really use a visit to Rudy's BBQ. Nothing like a half-pound of brisket to cure what ails you. But, I digress.

None other than Dr. Jeremy Siegel published a paper last year about improving the forecasting efficacy of CAPE by avoiding GAAP reported earnings altogether and using NIPA earnings. Doing so avoids the currently popular accounting practice of "kitchen-sinking" (taking every write-off possible when a company has a bad quarterly report a la 2008-09) as well as non-comparable historical earnings comparisons due to the slowly evolving GAAP rules.

Lots of interesting observations to read. This got my attention...
In this article, I offer an alternative explanation of the elevated CAPE ratio. ... Changes in accounting practices since 1990 have depressed reported earnings during economic downturns to a much greater degree than in the earlier years of Shiller’s sample. Because the CAPE ratio takes into account the last 10 years of earnings, any stock return forecast issued before 2018 will include the extraordinarily low earnings of 2008–2009 and may be biased downward.
Interestingly the write-downs of just AIG, Citigroup, and BofA caused the majority of the negative $23.25 S&P earnings in 2008. Had the 2008 GAAP earnings been calculated with the GAAP rules in place prior to 1992, $80 billion in write-downs from these three firms would not be included in the GAAP earnings calculations.

Further,
... it is puzzling that the decline in S&P reported earnings in the 2008–09 recession—when the maximum decline in GDP was just over 5%—was much greater than the decline in S&P reported earnings in the Great Depression, when GDP declined five times as much. ... These disparities also suggest that there has been a change in the S&P methodology from likely understating declines in earnings during economic downturns to significantly overstating them.
Another area in the article that stood out to me was how well CAPE actually does at predicting future 10-year real equity returns. As originally published by Dr. Shiller, CAPE has a coefficient of determination (R^2) of 0.35 which means the CAPE model "explains" about 1/3 of the future 10-year real equity returns which means the remaining 2/3 of variation in future returns is not accounted for in the CAPE model. A good result no doubt, but clearly not deterministic.

The full article is entitled "The Shiller CAPE Ratio: A New Look" if you want to google it and read the full-meal deal. Having problems with posting links.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Oh I have that outside of retirement accounts, over a year of our needs not met by pension/SS.

I do abide by "buckets".
No, I mean real cash, as an AA substitute for bonds when I think bond's prospect is not commensurate with its risk.

I have 32% cash, because I do not like bonds now. But if I like to think of it as a buffer for spending, that's 10 years even if we still delay SS. However, if things get that bad for stocks for that long, we will draw SS earlier than planned.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Keep in mind we're 8 years into an expansion, we've never gone past 10 without a recession. Different this time?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Debt Ceiling due March 15.
$20 Trillion

Just sayin'

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-...ncy-2016-09-13
Old 02-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Keep in mind we're 8 years into an expansion, we've never gone past 10 without a recession. Different this time?
If something happens before 10 years, you will be blamed.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I think sooner than later, it will toll 20 trillion times.
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If something happens before 10 years, you will be blamed.
You'll have to find me in my bunker....LOL. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #50

Quote:
You'll have to find me in my bunker....LOL. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
We can defeat your bunker and tin foil when we want.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
We can defeat your bunker and tin foil when we want.
The scary thought is how you knew I was wearing my tinfoil hat.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
The scary thought is how you knew I was wearing my tinfoil hat.
Because we all have matching headgear. (well, some of us do)

Seriously, I'm not that worried although maybe I should be. In 2008 a lot of people were saying "this time it's different". Looking back at it, gee, it seems like it was just another rotten recession and not all that different.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think sooner than later, it will toll 20 trillion times.
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
We will just default and reset the clock. Easy peasy. Any objection?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe more frequent trading is a good way to deal with this so you have more cash more of the time. Each time you sell, you'll wait for a drop, then one day as you're waiting for the decline to slow, it will keep going. Even if it's normally not the best way to invest, maybe in times like this the extra work and smaller gains will pay off. I might try calculating how much I'd loose doing that when the market is strong and how much I'd gain if there's a recession in, say, 2 years.

Ironically, there are people who claim they get good results using a system like this all the time, but I might feel safer following a system that underperformed an index by an amount that I could live with considering a nearing recession. I'd trust someone who says they underperformed an index more than I'd trust a little used system that someone claims out-performed an index.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52465

Day after tomorrow... Waddya think?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

What's the debt limit and why is Congress about to raise it again?

Quote:
What would be the impact if the government defaults on its debts?

No one knows for sure because Congress has never allowed it to happen, but economists say it could plunge the U.S. back into recession and spark a global economic crisis.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #57

Is there a point to the posts on the debt ceiling?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is there a point to the posts on the debt ceiling?
Some of us can't stay on topic. That includes me.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #59

Quote:
Some of us can't stay on topic. That includes me.
Straying off topic is something we all enjoy.

My question on the debt ceiling is more about all the posts with no comments or opinions, just links. If it is relevant, perhaps the poster can share his or her own opinion as to why.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Straying off topic is something we all enjoy.

My question on the debt ceiling is more about all the posts with no comments or opinions, just links. If it is relevant, perhaps the poster can share his or her own opinion as to why.
Perhaps the debt ceiling has no effect on stocks. I was reminded of the nervous time in 2011 after the 2008 problems, which is outlined here:

Quote:
The crisis sparked the most volatile week for financial markets since the 2008 crisis, with the stock market trending significantly downward. Prices of government bonds ("Treasuries"), rose as investors, anxious over the dismal prospects of the US economic future and the ongoing European sovereign-debt crisis, fled into the still-perceived relative safety of US government bonds. Later that week, the credit-rating agency Standard & Poor's downgraded the credit rating of the United States government for the first time in the country's history, though the other two major credit-rating agencies, Moody's and Fitch, retained America's credit rating at AAA. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) estimated that the delay in raising the debt ceiling increased government borrowing costs by $1.3 billion in 2011 and also pointed to unestimated higher costs in later years.[1] The Bipartisan Policy Center extended the GAO's estimates and found that delays in raising the debt ceiling would raise borrowing costs by $18.9 billion.[2]]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...crisis_of_2011

Maybe we're so used to this now, that any delay in extending the limit won't affect stocks, but the temporary coverage from the treasury to continue paying obligations only works to a so-called "X Day", when the limit is no longer able to be extended. The Interim period of uncertainty could cause some instability in markets. The shorter the period between the March 15 date, and the legal extension of the ceiling, the less effect on the national and international markets.

Just my take on the debt ceiling.