Join Early Retirement Today

Fixed incomes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fixed incomes

Hi all:

This question may have been asked before but beside CD which is currently at next to nothing. I have about 200K cash that I want to put to work.

What type of investments do you recommend that can generate 3 to 5 percent return and distributed quarterly with minimum risk.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huusom View Post
Hi all:

This question may have been asked before but beside CD which is currently at next to nothing. I have about 200K cash that I want to put to work.

What type of investments do you recommend that can generate 3 to 5 percent return and distributed quarterly with minimum risk.
Look at preferred stock. You can put 1/2 of what you have at risk in preferred stocks and the other 1/2 in safe cds, that would put your overall rate of return into the range you are looking for.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

150K Penfed 7 yr @ 3.49%, 25K AWF (pays monthly), 25K in T or VZ or AEE or FE or any utility that pays 5-6%. You can also sell covered options on the utility to increase return a little.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think you need to clarify to us posters what you mean by "minimum risk"-- do you mean "no volatility" or "insured by the FDIC" or "AAA rated" or "I need the principal back by a certain date"?

With the info you've provided, I'd recommend the PenFed 7-year CD. I'm not sure you can arrange quarterly distributions (perhaps monthly?) but they might be able to work that out by e-mail.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=Nords;1003604With the info you've provided, I'd recommend the PenFed 7-year CD. I'm not sure you can arrange quarterly distributions (perhaps monthly?) but they might be able to work that out by e-mail.[/QUOTE]

Is PenFed open to anyone or do you have to be employed, past or present, by the federal government?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Aaron, do a forum search on Penfed membership. We've discussed how anyone can join at least a dozen separate times.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well might wish in part to consider a fund, like VFICX, Vanguard Intermediate Investment, which is paying 4.53%, has average credit per Morningstar as A and average bond duration of 5.4 years. I have Penfed CDs and they tend to be competitive rates. If buy long term can also sell and pay penalty. Anyhow, hope this helps for your consideration.

Bob
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Is PenFed open to anyone or do you have to be employed, past or present, by the federal government?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Aaron, do a forum search on Penfed membership. We've discussed how anyone can join at least a dozen separate times.
Well, REWahoo!, as a fellow moderator emeritus yourself, you know that nobody reads the f#$%in' FAQs, or searches for keywords in previous threads, let alone reads our posts PenFed membership is open to anyone who meets their criteria or makes a one-time contribution to certain non-profit associations:
https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
gone traveling

Hello Huusom - have you thought about municipal bonds ?

Quote:
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I take calculated risk. I'm into MLPs.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post
I take calculated risk. I'm into MLPs.
Maui Land & Pineapple
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
Well might wish in part to consider a fund, like VFICX, Vanguard Intermediate Investment, which is paying 4.53%, has average credit per Morningstar as A and average bond duration of 5.4 years. I have Penfed CDs and they tend to be competitive rates. If buy long term can also sell and pay penalty. Anyhow, hope this helps for your consideration.

Bob
I try to find the early withdrawal penalty for PenFed CD's. I believe you have to log in to your account to get this information and I am not a member (yet). Can anybody help please.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello Huusom - have you thought about municipal bonds ?
I'm open to all suggestions. My main reason for this is post is for me see if I can generate enough reqular income from my cash in order to ER in a couple of years without loss of principle. I understand there risks in any type of investments but I dont want to take too much chance with the stock market.

To be specific, I need to generate around 3K per month to live reasonably well (not much but I'm not a big spender). How much principle do I need to generate this kind of incomes?

Thanks,
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post
I try to find the early withdrawal penalty for PenFed CD's. I believe you have to log in to your account to get this information and I am not a member (yet). Can anybody help please.
*Sigh*. Here, let me search PenFed's website for the phrase "early withdrawal". Oh, there it is! Subparagraph "h" on page 2 of this PDF:
https://www.penfed.org/pdf/accountsforms/688.pdf

Hey, mods... how 'bout a FAQ Archive post with links to the membership criteria for PenFed, USAA, and NFCU. We could also include links to the early-redemption penalties for the CDs of those fine institutions.

Or, heaven forbid, we turn the FAQ Archive (which apparently hardly anyone bothers to read) into a E-R.org wiki like the Bogleheads have done with their info.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
*Sigh*. Here, let me search PenFed's website for the phrase "early withdrawal". Oh, there it is! Subparagraph "h" on page 2 of this PDF:
https://www.penfed.org/pdf/accountsforms/688.pdf

Hey, mods... how 'bout a FAQ Archive post with links to the membership criteria for PenFed, USAA, and NFCU. We could also include links to the early-redemption penalties for the CDs of those fine institutions.

Or, heaven forbid, we turn the FAQ Archive (which apparently hardly anyone bothers to read) into a E-R.org wiki like the Bogleheads have done with their info.
I appreciate your help (despite your sarcasm ). I actually searched the PenFed website before the original posting but it kept asking me to log in.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
To be specific, I need to generate around 3K per month to live reasonably well (not much but I'm not a big spender). How much principle do I need to generate this kind of incomes?

Thanks,
if i understand your question you want to generate $36,000 per year from fixed income which is $3k per month? at 3%, and you'll be hard pressed to find much higher yield short of junk bonds which i would not suggest, you need $1.2 million and of course you have taxes on that $3k so if you need $3k after taxes then it's a higher amount. hope that is helpful.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I logged in but did not see it. Maybe on original documents or I just did not readily locate. Of course the info. may change too. But I googled and this link should give you some information. Said basically Penfed has average penalty of about 6 month interest for long term CDs. But again things always change. Here is link,
Comparing CDs with Different Early Withdrawal Penalties

Bob
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I appreciate your help (despite your sarcasm ). I actually searched the PenFed website before the original posting but it kept asking me to log in.
We'll get back to you on the sarcasm after you've boosted your post count by a couple orders of magnitude and answered this question a few dozen more times...

Mods, is there a discussion going on about adding a PenFed thread to the FAQs, or creating a wiki?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
I logged in but did not see it. Maybe on original documents or I just did not readily locate. Of course the info. may change too. But I googled and this link should give you some information. Said basically Penfed has average penalty of about 6 month interest for long term CDs. But again things always change. Here is link,
Comparing CDs with Different Early Withdrawal Penalties

Bob
Thanks, Bob.
the link Nords posted answer the questions. The penalty is 12 month for 7 year certificates and 6 months for up to 5 year certificates.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #20
gone traveling

Hello Huusom, According to State municipal bonds are offering decent rates now - USATODAY.com the average rate for munis is about 2.7%, therefore you would need $1.3m to generate 36k income. Does this help ?

Quote:

Thanks,