Join Early Retirement Today

FNM
Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FNM

Well I've been waiting and waiting, but I believe FNM has got to get bailed out by the Government and with a 5% dividend, isn't it a decent buy now? Well, isn't it
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #2

Is it a buy around $10?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is looking interesting at around 16 to me, since the government will bail it out, but I think stock holders will have to take a hit.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #4

I'm not convinced that $16 is low enough. I also believe they'll get help. Who does the Gov't help first, FNM or GM?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #5

latest word from the White House is we'll help the GSE's, but no mercy for the shareholders
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would expect bondholders to come out of this reasonably well. The stockholders, not so much.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #7

I looked at the preferreds on Fannie and Freddie on quantumonline, and have decided to wait. Why? non-cummulative, no stated maturity date. This tells me that if the common craters the preferred could also. (Disclaimer: I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to these securities).

Anyone out there that can point me to real debt of these companies (some examples) and an indication of what they are trading at today?

Thanks
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Anyone out there that can point me to real debt of these companies (some examples) and an indication of what they are trading at today?

Thanks

Most any broker could sell you fannie and freddie bonds and MBS. The actual senior unsecured notes issued bythese companies trade at a wider than normal spread to treasuries, but still nothing to write home about, IMO. Bloomberg indicated that senior notes are trading at something like 82BP over treasuries for 10 year bonds. Put another way, with the 10 year at 3.84%, GSE senior notes would yield about 4.66%, although commissions and dealer mark-up would reduce your yield.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Actually, Fannie and Freddie bond quotes seem to be trading higher. I think there's growing belief in the credit market that the feds will bail out bondholders before letting these agencies completely fail.

Stockholders, on the other hand...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Most any broker could sell you fannie and freddie bonds and MBS. The actual senior unsecured notes issued bythese companies trade at a wider than normal spread to treasuries, but still nothing to write home about, IMO. Bloomberg indicated that senior notes are trading at something like 82BP over treasuries for 10 year bonds. Put another way, with the 10 year at 3.84%, GSE senior notes would yield about 4.66%, although commissions and dealer mark-up would reduce your yield.
Brewer, could you give us an idea where SLM senior debt is trading? How about credit default swaps?

Ha
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Brewer, could you give us an idea where SLM senior debt is trading? How about credit default swaps?

Ha
Dunno, Ha, as I am remote today. Safe assumption that they are wider today, though.

- George Orwell

Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thnx.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Brewer, thanks. I figured as such, I just hate dealing with humans, especially brokers. (I do have brokerage accounts and relationships that I've had for many, many years, but am mostly a DIY kind of person when it comes to securities selection and purchase, i.e discount brokerage.) I especially get un-trusting when it comes to bonds as I don't have a good way of determining how much I am getting hit up for in terms of spread, etc.

82BP isn't much of a risk premium...no way I'd go for that. Thanks.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Well, there you go: Fed threw open the discount widow to Fannie & Freddie. No more liquidity problems.

- George Orwell

Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, there you go: Fed threw open the discount widow to Fannie & Freddie. No more liquidity problems.
Which quickly brought the markets to back over flatline, which even more quickly led to a stampede of sellers taking advantage of whatever tiny rally they can get to reduce their losses by 1%...

Wow, what a horrible market this is. You know the dagger is still falling when every tiny rally is met with an overwhelming wave of selling.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Which quickly brought the markets to back over flatline, which even more quickly led to a stampede of sellers taking advantage of whatever tiny rally they can get to reduce their losses by 1%...

Wow, what a horrible market this is. You know the dagger is still falling when every tiny rally is met with an overwhelming wave of selling.

That's OK. The big deal to me is that the Fed just removed a humongous systemic risk all in one stroke. The bond market was starting to charge the GSEs a larger and larger premium to lend them money, which could have turned into a landslide in a hurry. Fannie and Freddie ARE the mortgage market right now and their securities are on the balance sheet of just about everyone, so them getting into liquidity difficulties would have been disastrous for the world economy. Now that horrific outcome is off the table incontrovertibly, which is very important.

With the Vix spike today, maybe all the retards wiating for "capitulation" will finally be satisfied that things have cratered enough for now.

- George Orwell

Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #17

i imagine this money has to be paid back at some time, if fannie and freddie are suffering these losses how will they pay the fed back?

i've also been reading last few months that the Fed has been destroying it's own balance sheet lending all this money
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i've also been reading last few months that the Fed has been destroying it's own balance sheet lending all this money
Well, all you have to "read" is the chart which tracks the U.S. dollar.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #19

Didn't they just deny this?

Honestly, though, I can't imagine the government not backing their bonds. They've let people think that they would for so long, that I think letting FNM or FRE default would be about the same as the government defaulting on treasuries. End of the world kinda thing.

I wouldn't touch their stocks though. What is their debt/equity ratio? Isn't it about 60:1? No thanks, I'll stick to WFC and USB.

Quote:
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Didn't they just deny this?
That's "today".. next week who knows?
Bloomberg.com: U.S.

If they are really doing 80% of today's mortgage biz.. allowing that to come to a halt seems beyond political contemplation (but the moral hazard and the effect on the dollar, treasuries, etc. is even more frightening).

ANALYSIS-Fannie, Freddie bailout would imperil budget, dollar - Reuters News
"it all happened so quickly" says the above article.

Quote:
[August 2006] One cannot even exclude systemic risk consequences if the housing bust combined with a recession leads to a bust of the mortgage backed securities (MBS) market and triggers severe losses for the two huge GSEs, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Then, the ugly scenario that Greenspan worried about may come true: the implicit moral hazard coming from the activities of GSEs - that are formally private but that act as if they were large too-big-to-fail public institutions given the market perception that the US Treasury would bail them out in case of a systemic housing and financial distress – becomes explicit. Then, the implicit liabilities from implicit GSEs bailout-expectations lead to a financial and fiscal crisis. If this systemic risk scenario were to occur, the $200 billion fiscal cost to the US tax-payer of bailing-out and cleaning-up the S&Ls may look like spare change compared to the trillions of dollars of implicit liabilities that a more severe home lending industry financial crisis and a GSEs crisis would lead to.
RGE - Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor
oy, what a headache I have now.

http://www.rgemonitor.com/redir.php?...id=&cid=272624
BNP Paribas:
Quote:
With house prices set to keep falling for the foreseeable future, losses will
likely continue to stack up for the two agencies, which have already endured
a combined hit of more than $11billion in the nine months ended March 31st.
And after recent falls, their combined market capitalisation has dwindled to
less than $19bn as leverage has skyrocketed. As of the end of March this
year, Freddie Mac’s leverage has ballooned to an unprecedented 50 times!
The US mortgage market seems to have arrived at the ultimate conundrum.
The GSEs need to keep pumping money into mortgages to keep the
mortgage market functioning but doing so appears to be fatally undermining
their financial health. As we have argued for several months, nationalisation
– partial or in extremis wholesale - may be the only long-term solution to this
paradox but, given that the GSE’s liabilities are themselves already larger
than the extant federal debt, the latter out-turn is itself barely feasible.
--
Roubini today, quoted at great length here with arguments against a bailout:
naked capitalism: Roubini: Restructure Fannie, Freddie Debt, Skip "Mother of All Bailouts"
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote