Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On selling EGLE ...Way to go guys! What a run! I was all set to post a snippy retort reminding you Brewer that you were going to sell when s o m e d a y EGLE should hit $25. Well here it is and you pulled the trigger. I was busy all day and just now saw the day's activity.

I'll sell off what I have left this week, if not tomorrow

What do we do for an encore? Just relax and be happy?...nah.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
On selling EGLE ...Way to go guys! What a run! I was all set to post a snippy retort reminding you Brewer that you were going to sell when s o m e d a y EGLE should hit $25. Well here it is and you pulled the trigger. I was busy all day and just now saw the day's activity.

I'll sell off what I have left this week, if not tomorrow

What do we do for an encore? Just relax and be happy?...nah.
Think about KRE. Retail banks are the cheapest they have been in years (maybe a decade?). KRE is a retail bank ETF. That way you would avoid single name risk and still take advantage of the sector. You could pick out individual names as well, but the whole sector is so cheap that I think the ETF is not a bad way to go.

Also looking at junk bonds, but in no rush. Currently junk derivatives have blown out wider than the cash bonds, so either the derivatives are over-reacting, or the bonds will be selling off soon. Not so sure which is which, and since their will be LBOs that blow up in spectacular fashion some time in the next few years, there will be plenty of opportunities to buy junk on the cheap, I suspect.

Love the signature. I saw this on a yahoo board and thought it was funny:

"
Was out on the Bay the other day when a bulker went by under the Sunshine Skyway bridge heade to port. It took about an hour from the time I first saw it on the horizon to the time it went out of sight. In that hour, assuming it was a Panamax on spot, it made 2500.00 as it sailed by....I commented to the guys I was with, explaining the rates bulkers command now and are likely to see later this year and well, they scoffed. Now they don't, they are invested. Even at this point, new money is probably a good idea. "

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Think about KRE. Retail banks are the cheapest they have been in years (maybe a decade?). KRE is a retail bank ETF. That way you would avoid single name risk and still take advantage of the sector. You could pick out individual names as well, but the whole sector is so cheap that I think the ETF is not a bad way to go.

Also looking at junk bonds, but in no rush. Currently junk derivatives have blown out wider than the cash bonds, so either the derivatives are over-reacting, or the bonds will be selling off soon. Not so sure which is which, and since their will be LBOs that blow up in spectacular fashion some time in the next few years, there will be plenty of opportunities to buy junk on the cheap, I suspect.
AFN needs pumping up, not that I have any interest in it.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I'm impressed. That is one sucky bunch of beaten-down banks, an ETF not even its mother could love. And paying almost a 5% dividend on a 0.35% expense ratio, too! How many utilities or other sector ETFs can make that claim?

On one hand we have a large-cap blue-chip dividend fund like DVY, which I wouldn't mind boosting in our asset allocation if it goes on sale a bit more, but which also has a slightly lower dividend rate and a slightly higher expense ratio for its stability. On the other hand we have KRE with its "margin of safety" and its volatility.

Choices, choices. I suspect we won't have to make a decision before October...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I own a bit and am sorely tempted, but I am already heavily levered to the whole mortgage market. I may well buy some long-dated calls struck at $7.50. If AFN does anything other than circle the bowl in the next 6 months, I would expect a recovery. If it goes kerblooey, well, the option premia is pretty small.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And paying almost a 5% dividend on a 0.35% expense ratio, too!
The fund's page says a 3.2% yield, Yahoo says 3.13%. The last distribution was 5% annually, but the first several distributions were smaller. Maybe it was ramping up after formation or there were special dividends last time? Anyway, the index itself (KBW Regional Banking Index) supposedly has a yield of 3.02%:
ETF SSgA Funds: KBW Regional Banking, KRE - Index Detail

Anyway, I like the looks of this ETF. I've reviewed a lot of smaller banks in the last six months, so about half of these companies are familiar to me and most seem like pretty good buys.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Anyway, I like the looks of this ETF. I've reviewed a lot of smaller banks in the last six months, so about half of these companies are familiar to me and most seem like pretty good buys.
Brewer's done a very good job of finding my weak spot-- a basket of undervalued stocks...

Of course our ER portfolio is already heavily tilted toward financials, but they don't seem to be overvalued. And after having waded through the spreadsheets of potential disasters like First Fed I was wondering how to evaluate a retail bank. A whole ETF of them doesn't seem much easier!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Just blasted out 2/3 of my DSX at 25.95. Hanging onto the last 500 shares until 8/16, since that is where they go LT.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just blasted out 2/3 of my DSX at 25.95. Hanging onto the last 500 shares until 8/16, since that is where they go LT.
All of my DSX profits were short-term, and how, but they were generated by liquidating a Nortel position.

I'm still smiling.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
All of my DSX profits were short-term, and how, but they were generated by liquidating a Nortel position.

I'm still smiling.
I would have liked to hold, but this has moved awfully far, awfully fast. I also have heard rumors that someone has agreed to pay $550MM for three capesizes. If true, it is an absurd price and it better not be DSX paying it. Unless they levered the crap out of the company, they would have to issue upwards of 20MM shares to finance it.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I dumped EGLE and DSX the other day. No regrets. Nice profit on both. Thank you very much Brewer!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I dumped EGLE and DSX the other day. No regrets. Nice profit on both. Thank you very much Brewer!
Same here. Sold all today. Had a terrific long term run with EGLE and profitable quickies with DSX NM EXM and ONAV

DW and I will hoist a glass to Brewer tonight. Were shootin' the woiks at the Chinese Buffet tonight....mmmmm MSG.

Somebody said that his might not be a bad time for new money to enter into the drybulk sector. We'll see, otherwise this thread is headed for Davy Jone's locker.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

BTW, I picked up some calls on this thing today. Feb 7.50s for $.85 a pop. We'll see.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That's my quandry too ! I'd love to take all the profit NOW, but
I don't go long-term until Halloween day. Perhaps I'll put in a
stop-loss order at 24 or so.

Perhaps the lesson is that this sort of short-term speculative move
should be done within some sort of tax-sheltered account. Maybe
I'll buy some KRE in my Roth ...
Old 07-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Never let the tax tail wag the investment dog.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #56

Sold my EGLE and part of my FRO. I have a trailing stop on DSX and Im letting my SFL ride.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Out of EGLE at 25.32 today!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Wow... DSX up 7% today...

Put a stop loss in to keep the gain if it goes down...

Thanks Brewer...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Wow... DSX up 7% today...

Put a stop loss in to keep the gain if it goes down...
Sh*tfire ! Time to modify the $24 stop loss I did yesterday.

Quote:
Thanks Brewer...
Amen !
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

These stocks are getting fully valued. For them to go much higher requires day rates to stay very high for a long time and/or for the market to award them a valuation/multiple it has not done so, well, ever.

I like the industry and story, and it could certainly go a lot higher. But it looks like the momentum crowd of the clueless has swarmed in, so things can get very volatile/unpredictable as the last few days of trading have shown. Caveat emptor.

- Will Rogers