Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You did see "just kidding of course".
Of course...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I need a drink.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
In at 16 with my go-go mo-mo adrenaline dough.

You mean you bought today?

I thought the quarter was great and even if rates slack off a bit they will print money. Big question is the stuff they just bought that isn't chartered yet, but they've got a while to figure it out since the ships won't be delivered for a while.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I need a drink.
Well, before you sit down with Al K. Hall, how about a bit of perspective? Nm is higher than where it was at the close on Thursday.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You mean you bought today?

I thought the quarter was great and even if rates slack off a bit they will print money. Big question is the stuff they just bought that isn't chartered yet, but they've got a while to figure it out since the ships won't be delivered for a while.
Yes, bought today. The fundamentals do look pretty good, and the sector has plenty of momentum. I like that combination. Obviously, it's a cyclical sector, so I just hope I can get out before the bad news starts coming in.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Yes, bought today. The fundamentals do look pretty good, and the sector has plenty of momentum. I like that combination. Obviously, it's a cyclical sector, so I just hope I can get out before the bad news starts coming in.
One of the reasons I prefer names like NM and EGLE to DRYS and EXM is that the former have chosen to go with longer term charters to shield themselves from a downturn in day rates. The distinction doesn't seem to be made by the market today, unfortunately, but EGLE and NM are essentially "sold out" through 2008 with charters locked at good rates, while DRYS and EXM have most of their fleet on spot.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #107

I kept buying as it kept going down. Just hope it's over now.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #108

Hmm, that cape index hockey stick does look a bit scary:

Old 10-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Sure does, which is why I'm not interested in the guys who borrow money, go buy a cape, and put it on spot.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Aha! Maybe the root cause. China posturing ahead of iron ore price negotiations. Can't see them not buying ore (and paying higher prices), so maybe this really is a tempest in a teapot:

Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- DryShips Inc. and competitors that
that carry raw materials fell from record levels after The
Australian newspaper reported Chinese steel producers are taking
a tough negotiating line to fix next year's iron ore price.
DryShips fell $22.97, or 18 percent, to $108 in Nasdaq
composite trading. Genco Shipping & Trading Ltd. fell $10.89, or
14 percent, to $67.05, and Diana Shipping Inc. fell $5.57, or 12
percent, to $39.25. The Bloomberg Dry Ships Index , which rose
to a record yesterday, has almost tripled this year. DryShips
has surged fivefold.
``China is trying to spook the market,'' Natasha Boyden, a
Cantor Fitzgerald analyst, said. ``They did a good job.''
Dry-bulk companies have profited from China's demand for
iron ore and other commodities. The newspaper reported today
that Zhang Jingang, deputy secretary general of the China Iron
and Steel Association, said profitability in the Chinese
steelmaking industry is falling and that there would be no
increase in the price China pays for Australian iron ore.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Aha! Maybe the root cause. China posturing ahead of iron ore price negotiations. Can't see them not buying ore (and paying higher prices), so maybe this really is a tempest in a teapot:

The newspaper reported today
that Zhang Jingang, deputy secretary general of the China Iron
and Steel Association, said profitability in the Chinese
steelmaking industry is falling and that there would be no
increase in the price China pays for Australian iron ore.
I got back from a 18 day trip to China recently, my first. Everywhere you look they are throwing up skyscrapers 50 60 100 stories, and in China they don't build one condo or hotel they tend to build 2-4 identical units.

As far as I can determine, that aren't using bamboo to make these things...
So not paying more for ore means less steel --> less building. I think this will have a huge ripple effect for the Chinese and world economy, nteresting to see.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
As far as I can determine, that aren't using bamboo to make these things...
So not paying more for ore means less steel --> less building. I think this will have a huge ripple effect for the Chinese and world economy, nteresting to see.
Heh, its not that they will make less steel. China isn't going to stop expanding and exporting, and they aren't going to find a magical source of iron ore (or coal). This is posturing ahead of the critical negotiations that set iron ore prices for the coming Asian fiscal year starting 4/01/08. The iron ore prices are making similarly aggressive noises, and things will settle out as they always do. I think the Chinese are blustering because they are in a weak bargaining position.

Its not a lock that this is the reason for teh dry bulk slump, but if this is the reason, then it means this is a massive buying opportunity. Time will tell which is the case. I plan on holding for the moment. Getting into NM at $5 means that fluctuations in the upper teens are a little easier to take, pschologically.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv
up up up, down down, up, down.... roller coaster...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Hey, its the stock market.

Actually, I have decided to harvest some of the volatility. Sold calls against my DSX shares ($8 plus for June 45s) and against 20% of my NM shares ($2.55 for March 20s). Also blasted out my appreciated EGLE calls.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

what roller coasters are no fun if it only goes up up up... you need some downs and then back up up up down down... as long as it finishs up up up.

I've never done options before. Sounds interesting to hear you talk about them all the time... I'm curious to learn more.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

If you have a background in math, you can read any standard text on opptions and the Black Scholes model and get it pretty easily. If not, ask and I can pound out the short version. But if you start dabbling in these things, there a couple of rules to keep in mind:

- Write calls only on stock you already own. Write puts on stuff you want to buy at the strike price.
- Its OK to buy calls and puts on a speculative basis, but mentally kis every dollar you spend on these things goodbye as you do so because they are high risk speculations.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #117

Actually, Uraguay is considered the next China, and NM is shipping to that area. The benefits to Uraguay are that they are on the same time zone as the US and have cheap labor. I've been looking for some Uraguay plays recently.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsonikvv View Post
what roller coasters are no fun if it only goes up up up... you need some downs and then back up up up down down... as long as it finishs up up up.

I've never done options before. Sounds interesting to hear you talk about them all the time... I'm curious to learn more.
Think in terms of playing Craps. Buying puts and calls is like playing the come line. Writing puts and calls is like playing the don't come.
If you are looking to dabble more safely with buying options, consider option spreads. Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Actually, Uraguay is considered the next China, and NM is shipping to that area. The benefits to Uraguay are that they are on the same time zone as the US and have cheap labor. I've been looking for some Uraguay plays recently.
OK, but the Uruguayan port operations are maybe 5% of the total company.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

How does NMM's IPO affect NM? Are they splitting up their "work" between the two companies?

The IPO expects to have prices between $19- $21. I wonder what happens to prices of NM shares.

The Black Scholes model seems very mathematical. I'm going to have to do some learning to figure it out.