Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I'd second the choices listed by Target2019. I grew up on a farm, farmed for years and still live in farm country. Investing directly in a farming operation isn't something I'd recommend anyone doing...leave that to the active farmers, they know what they're doing and will work for nothing for years if they have to. If anyone ever approaches you to invest in any "value added" venture - run away. I've seen them start up and go broke so many times that I can't think of one that actually returned on investment - they usually get bought out by one of the companies Target2019 listed for pennies on the dollar.

Don't let anyone talk you into "investing" in the commodity market either. It's similar to day trading. These markets were designed for commodity producers as a marketing tool, not a speculation market. I've seen people lose everything gambling on wheat, cattle, pork bellies......Just watch Trading Places sometime. Duke & Duke couldn't even make it last. I don't mean to be a downer, I'd just suggest investing in established companies that understand the industry.

Del Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Del Q,
Your words are pretty direct, and more meaningful than I could have put together. Essentially, I was interjecting the tickers of real live companies as opposed to the commodities route.

Pinnacle Foods was in my list at one time, but history only goes back a few years, and I was also eliminating companies where yield was less than 3.0%. But I just added back to my list and will watch and read.

target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
If you have enough spare cash (and know what you're doing) farm land has been a reasonable option here. We own a bit but I'd sell before buying in today's market in our location. Your location and market are different so YMMV.
I'm not crazy. Honest, the judge had me tested.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
CHS is worth a look. They only issue preferred. I own CHSCM.
In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:37 AM   #25
gone traveling
I am considering the vanguard ETF.

Ticker is VDC.

Interesting holdings mix. Note a couple of the holdings are down significantly YTD and may individually be good holdings. I personally no longer hold individual shares so this ETF may be a good fit for me.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1432798592.365184.jpg
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
In the thread here, Rick_head said he wanted to revive a thread on POT (Potash of Saskatchewan). I don't know if this is the one he mentioned, but I am reviving it anyway.

I have traded POT a few times, and made good money during the commodity run-up prior to the 2008-2009 crash. Then, I bought it back in 2011 and 2013, and it did not do well this time. I bailed out at the price of $27 two months ago. The mention of it caused me to look at it again, and it is now at $20. Time to reload on it?

I find it interesting not because of the dividend yield of 7.72% (no guarantee that it would not get cut), but rather because it has been pummeled far worse than the market. The outlook for potash is for the price to drop to US$250/metric ton next year, compared to $300 today.

But is that bad news already baked into the stock? It was as high as $80 in 2008, and around $35 just 2 months ago. At the current price of $20 and a P/E of 11, it is very appealing. I may take a nibble on Monday.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote