Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Foreign Bond Funds not currency hedged with low expense ratios?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Foreign Bond Funds not currency hedged with low expense ratios?

I am thinking about possibly diversifying my bond investments internationally. I'm normally a cheapskate Vanguard index fund investor. However, I'm not enamored with Vanguard's international bond offerings.

I'm looking for a fund or ETF which invests internationally in a wide portfolio of generally highly rated bonds. A low expense ratio is critical. I don't want to pay more for bonds than the 0.15% I currently pay for Vanguard's Emerging Market Index Admiral shares. I would also strongly prefer no currency hedging which I consider a hidden expense which also removes some of the diversification benefit.

Does such a product exist?
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know of any bond fund or ETF like that at an index-like cost. You may have to be willing to pay more for that kind of investment.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If only IAGG was not hedged. Unfortunately, its prospectus explicitly says:
Quote:
The Underlying Index is designed to have higher returns than an equivalent unhedged investment when the component currencies are weakening relative to the U.S. dollar and appreciation in some of the component currencies does not exceed the aggregate depreciation of the others. Conversely, the Underlying Index is designed to have lower returns than an equivalent unhedged investment when the component currencies, on a net basis, are rising relative to the U.S. dollar
Here are the lowest expense ratio alternatives I found:
IAGG iShares Core International Aggregate Bond ETF 0.11% Hedged
BNDX Total International Bond ETF (Vanguard) 0.20% Hedged
IGVT Deutsche X-trackers Barclays International Treasury Bond Hedged ETF 0.25% Hedged
IFIX Deutsche X-trackers Barclays International Corporate Bond Hedged ETF 0.30% Hedged
IGOV iShares International Treasury Bond ETF 0.35% unhedged
BWZ SPDR Barclays Capital Short Term International Treasury Bond ETF 0.35% unhedged
ISHG iShares 1-3 Year International Treasury Bond ETF 0.35% unhedged
PGHY PowerShares Global Short Term High Yield Bond Portfolio ETF 0.35% unhedged
(Double check for typos and read the prospectus before investing!)
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An unhedged foreign bond fund is more of a bet on currency fluctuation than it is on bond performance.

Just be aware of what you're investing in.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
An unhedged foreign bond fund is more of a bet on currency fluctuation than it is on bond performance.

Just be aware of what you're investing in.
+1 The currency moves could easily wipe out the bond return.