Foreign Income ETFs

What is your investment objective? There maybe a foreign tax withholding as well.

No specific opinion, but might be aware of which are denominated in US$ vs foreign currencies. Choice of fund(s), if any, depend upon your specific investment objectives, risk tolerance, overall AA, etc.

I use 4% DEM as my EM large value allocation. Works fine for that.

Any thoughts on EDIV, DEM, PCY, CVY, LVL, DWX....

I have positions in EDIV, DEM, CVY and DWX. I have PCY on my watch list for when rates bump up a bit.

Hadn't researched LVL before, but now that I look at it, I'm adding it to my list of things to buy. :)

The one thing that frustrates me the most is that many foreign ETFs don't tell you in the prospectus or in their annual PR release advising of their tax treatment of distributions for the year if any foreign tax credits apply. As a result, I hold ALL foreign ETFs and stocks in my taxable accounts, because I don't want to lose 15%+ to foreign tax withholdings and miss the tax benefit of it.

I do see in my 1099s where no foreign tax credits appear on many of my ETFs, but I don't know if it's because of a fluke or if they'll suddenly start to have tax withholding/credits once I establish a position in a tax-advantage account.

No specific opinion, but might be aware of which are denominated in US$ vs foreign currencies. Choice of fund(s), if any, depend upon your specific investment objectives, risk tolerance, overall AA, etc.

Good point. Need to have some balance. Requires more thought on my part.

Also pay attention to the volume some are thinly traded. PCY is a bond fund, stock funds might be better at this point. Also some are foreign ( no US exposure ) and some global with both US and foreign exposure.

I hold DWX, CVY. Also look at SDIV, IDV, DOO ( wisdomtree has several funds in this class )

I need to do a matrix that shows bond vs stock, global vs international, ..... .

I own SDIV, CVY, DEM, LVL, and EDIV

Back
Top Bottom