Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Forget Balancing - sold all my 401k equities funds and put it in the safe short term

Ohhhh you will get a lot of backlash here for doing that. Market timing, not keeping up with inflation and all the rest.
short term fund will keep up with inflation

i don't see anything wrong with this move - I did the same thing in early 2000

personally, i'm going to hold off a bit then make a similar move in my 401k - taxable accounts are a different story
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I think taking everything out is the wrong move.... if you think there is a correction coming soon (and why take out now if you do not think it is soon) but you are wrong, you pay dearly... but if you left 30% or so in the market then you would have hedged your guess...

I have heard a few talking heads think that the market will have a correction in 2018 but will be up by the end of the year by upwards of 10%.... they only predict a correction because it has been so long since we have had one...

My big question would be... when do you plan on putting it back? As some have said before, market timing takes two correct decisions to work... get one or both wrong and it can be a disaster....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

In 2008 there were a few members who did sell all and just waited out the crash .They seemed brilliant at the time .Having been through a few crashes the signs are obvious before the tech crash everyone thought they were brilliant investors and even sports bars had ticker tapes running and before the housing bust everyone thought they could flip houses and make a huge profit .The only market timing I do is every time W2R says the Whee word I skim profit off the top .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My big question would be... when do you plan on putting it back? As some have said before, market timing takes two correct decisions to work... get one or both wrong and it can be a disaster....
i started reinvesting in the market around 2007, i miss timed the exit a bit but things have worked out

not sure who or what is saying there is a 10% ror expectation - CMAs are way down this year due to the big uptick last year
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think 2018 will see a big drop. I thought that about 2017 too, so......

This is a case where my incredible powers of procrastination really help me out!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

rayinpenn forgot to tell us that his 401(k) is only 2% of his total assets, so that selling all in it don't mean thing.

I don't think I'll sell any equities until at least 3 people say they are switching to 100% equities in their 401(k)s.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
One time I thought about that but then realized I still might live another 50 years. Market will probably double 5 more times in my life.
Someone once posted here that if you stand back a few feet from the Dow's 100 year historic graph, it's a pretty straight line in the upward direction.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

This thread is another reason why I'm capping my equity stake at around 45%. In this market the dividend w/d's (currently a whopping 1.65% for TSM) barely make a dent. If it loses 50% I'm still OK. If it gains 50% and I'm only at 40% equity due to taking gains I'm still good.
I can't use the sleep well at night test since I slept well when I was broke and I still sleep well.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #29

rayinpenn - you must do whatever it is that makes you feel comfortable and helps you sleep at night, but I hope you have thought out what you are going to do in the long term now that all your equity money is out of the 401K. Without a solid plan, the stress that caused you to sell could just be stretched out over a longer period as you try to decide what to do next - as in, when do you get back in?

Over the course of the years, my balance bobbed up and down, but I didn't pay it too much attention. When the next inevitable correction (dip, precipitous dive?) comes, I'll just mentally readjust to a point a few years ago,and realize that I still have more money than I did at that point. But mostly, I won't think about my money that much - I like to think about it more when the balance is going up

If this helps you sleep at night, then that is the most important thing.

EDIT - I just saw this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
rayinpenn forgot to tell us that his 401(k) is only 2% of his total assets, so that selling all in it don't mean thing.
Now I feel silly, because it doesn't matter too much what you do with it. It's not enough to significantly affect your long term outlook.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I’ve been investing so long it is more money then this guy from very humble beginnings could have every imagined.
If what you mean by this is "I've more than won the game", i.e., you have more money that you would ever possibly need, then getting out is a perfectly rational strategy.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I don’t believe in trying to time the Market
... but I'm trying to time the market could have finished your post. I'd wish you luck, but I'm hoping the market continues to climb (overall) until I'm long-dead and you're betting it's about to fall.

I'm guessing you don't have a defined strategy/timing for getting back into the market either?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I see no problem with your plan. If you sleep better then it's the right thing for you. At the end of the day that matters a lot! If it were me I might consider just a less aggressive portfolio. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
That's been my thinking for a while now. I've missed out as compared to many, but so has someone with a 50/50 blend as compared to someone all stocks. The problem is finding the right mix for longevity and taking care of the pucker factor. The old pucker can get in the way.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I am going to do a rebalance. From high-flying semiconductor stocks to Powerball tickets.

Just kidding.

But I have written more out-of-the-money call option contracts. If the stocks keep on rising and they buy these from me, it's OK. Stock AA keeps on rising, and it's at 73% now. Maybe I set the strike price too high, and the options keep expiring worthless.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've missed out as compared to many, but so has someone with a 50/50 blend as compared to someone all stocks. The problem is finding the right mix for longevity and taking care of the pucker factor. The old pucker can get in the way.
+1

The Market Unpleasantness of 08/09 educated me on where I needed to be to manage the pucker factor. For me, an AA in the 40-45/60-55 range does the trick and keeps the urge to "sell now before the crash" at a non-lethal level. Thanks to the Wellington and Wellesley management team and crack computer staff, I can maintain that AA range by doing what I do best - nothing.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

The Market Unpleasantness of 08/09 educated me on where I needed to be to manage the pucker factor. For me, an AA in the 40-45/60-55 range does the trick and keeps the urge to "sell now before the crash" at a non-lethal level. Thanks to the Wellington and Wellesley management team and crack computer staff, I can maintain that AA range by doing what I do best - nothing.

I agree. I have missed a lot of the BIG returns others brag about, because I have kept my AA around 45-55, but thankfully, that 45 has boosted my NW. I am 64, and I believe I have enough to last my days. If the market continues it's run-up, the 45% will be more than enough to keep me in clover, and if/when it tanks, I'll have enough money handy to reset my AA, maybe even a tad higher.

I am an habitual checker of my balances, which is great fun while the market soars, however, I have to try to keep reminding myself that number could be 80% smaller tomorrow, and that's OK...I'll still be OK
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I agree. I have missed a lot of the BIG returns others brag about, because I have kept my AA around 45-55, but thankfully, that 45 has boosted my NW. I am 64, and I believe I have enough to last my days. If the market continues it's run-up, the 45% will be more than enough to keep me in clover, and if/when it tanks, I'll have enough money handy to reset my AA, maybe even a tad higher.

I am an habitual checker of my balances, which is great fun while the market soars, however, I have to try to keep reminding myself that number could be 80% smaller tomorrow, and that's OK...I'll still be OK
When the market soars, I check my balances. When the market tanks, I don't panic and check the number of shares.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I prefer to hedge my bets by staying diversified. I can’t see getting completely out of any major asset class. A small reduction maybe.

Do you have any taxable investments in equities? Or are you completely out.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #38

I keep my allocation at 55% equities, which is probably far more conservative than I need to be but it allows me to sleep at night. Well, actually I'm an insomniac, so I don't sleep anyway, but it's not because of the stock market.

I do worry about how much the market has run up and the inevitable correction, but I remind myself that it's just part of the risks associated with being in the markets and trying to time the swings is virtually guaranteed to fail.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Just sold stock yesterday. A whole 1% of portfolio to rebalance back to 50/50. I had gone from 60/40 in November to 50/50.

Bonds are no bargain but won't loose as much as equities should we have a bad period.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Bonds are no bargain but won't loose as much as equities should we have a bad period.
I don't think anything is a bargain right now. That's why capital market expectations are so low.