Join Early Retirement Today

Fortune's 40 Stocks to Retire On
Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fortune's 40 Stocks to Retire On

Here is a link to the article. I think I will stick to my mutual funds though.

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/...s-to-Retire-On
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I remember their list from about 7-8 years ago.

Tyco, worldcom, enron, etc.

You'd have enjoyed one heck of a retirement on those.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting. Since I own eight of them, I obviously like the list. It seems much better than most of the lists I see, although I definitely would not have called AIT or VFC "deep" value.

As for Enron, Tyco, and Worldcom . . .
Quote:
Even with the market soaring to new heights this past spring, there are still ample reasons for caution. That makes this a perfect time to revisit the FORTUNE 40, the portfolio we've designed — and recalibrated annually — to help you thrive in markets both rocky and calm and build for retirement. Once again we're happy to report that our 40 favorites turned in a banner year, trouncing even the S&P's glitzy performance. Since its inception in 2002, the FORTUNE 40 has delivered an 18.3% annualized return, easily besting the S&P's 14.7%. It ain't broke — so we ain't fixin' it: FORTUNE is sticking with the strategy it's employed the past two years to update its portfolio and choose this year's stocks.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Psssst - Budweiser (not Coke).

Just kidding. I only own about three of them UBS, VFC, and Aetna - a heck of a lot longer than since 2002.

Rookies!

If they don't do well in another ten years, I'll probably dump them.

I know, I know - like many I overtrade.

heh heh heh - my stocks have not ko'd my index funds in the last 15 yrs to the point I've got that villa in the Bahamas. May have to stay on tour like other Buffett( Jimmy).
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
As for Enron, Tyco, and Worldcom . . .

AIG was also on the list IIRC.

I supposed its easy when your magazine throws out a dozen "picks" articles
a year. You wait 5 years and the time frame and picks that worked get the crowing. I dont hear them talking much about those late 90's picks I mentioned I think that was the "10 stocks to own forever" or "10 stocks for the long haul"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

By long haul, maybe they meant prison...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

From 2000...fortunes "ten stocks to last the decade"
Broadcom
Charles Schwab
Enron
Genentech
Morgan Stanley
Nokia
Nortel Networks
Oracle
Univision
Viacom

"Ten stocks to let you retire when ready...".

Providing you're still ready to retire after the 80%+ losses.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure about the "Bargain Growth" area...maybe a few years ago...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only own one, MO (Altria), that I've owned since it was beaten down by state lawsuits.

Is this article a contra-signal? Should I sell? :confused:
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder what someone's after commissions and tax performance would be if they followed Fortune's picks and "recalibrated annually."
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Commissions would be somewhere between $0 and $400 at any of the primary discount brokers assuming 100% turnover on the list. For most of us here that would be even less than the ER of a cheap index fund.

If we assumed 18.3% was linear and you were in a high enough tax bracket, then you'd give back 15% to the feds plus your state tax. Call it 20% in capital gains taxes and the 18.3% goes to 14.6% again assuming 100% turnover. (In reality the rate would be less than 20% in many cases and I'd also presume turnover isn't 100%.) Of course you eventually have to pay cap gain tax on the S&P's 14.7% as well so when you do that goes down quite a bit too, although like most I'm still a believer in compounding those unrealized gains rather than selling.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Holding a long time makes sense, except these picks are usually generated in the context of contemporary conditions. You'll get gangbusters growth stocks when we're in a furious bull market...stodgy conservative slow moving but safe companies during full bear markets...etc.

Anyone able to find any past picks or anyone tracking these 'portfolios' for the period the magazine says they're appropriate for? I had a hell of a hard time finding any historic data on them at all, even from the magazine site.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
From 2000...fortunes "ten stocks to last the decade"
Nortel Networks
That's referring to the time it takes them to recover a portion of their former value...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I only own one, MO (Altria), that I've owned since it was beaten down by state lawsuits.
Is this article a contra-signal? Should I sell? :confused:
Funny, the news that they're shutting down a NC tobacco factory & outsourcing cigarettes to Europe has restarted the rumors that they're going to spin off the tobacco business. With their yield I was beginning to wonder if they're worth buying.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's referring to the time it takes them to recover a portion of their former value...

good one.

Without looking, i'm betting that portfolio still hasnt recovered to even 75% of its value at the time of the article.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Typical crap, but consider the source..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote