Join Early Retirement Today

FPURX for a Roth Conversion IRA?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FPURX for a Roth Conversion IRA?

Hi :
I am age 60, retired, and living off my taxable savings only.

I plan to convert 15-20K of traditional IRA each year to a Roth account (my first). I don't need the money to live on.

For this first year, I converted 10K to Roth in April and put it all in Fidelity Puritan. FPURX has increased in value by $720 on paper since April.

I'm about to convert another 5K in September. I'd wait until the end of the year however, I need to show accurate documentation of my income in early November to sign up for a HC plan and get an accurate cost.

Guess I'm looking for a solid performer with steady growth. Do I have it already? Or should I use a more aggressive fund for a Roth?
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you invest in index funds? For example, the Fidelity S&P 500 index fund FUSVX has higher returns than FPURX no matter how many years of comparison. It also has fee exp of 1.5 bps vs. 55 bps for Puritan.
Something to ponder.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity Puritan (FPURX) and Fidelity Balanced (FBALX) are both 5 star rated balanced funds with a .55% expense ratio. Both have a long history of good returns. Hard to argue with Puritan, who has been around since 1947
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Dtail: Good info. I didn't consider 100% equity funds because I initially wanted an allocation fund for a diversification one fund approach.
Al18--I already own a large stake in FBALX in the TIRA. I picked FPURX and FBALX at the same time. Glad to hear I chose good funds.
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur58 View Post
Dtail: Good info. I didn't consider 100% equity funds because I initially wanted an allocation fund for a diversification one fund approach.
Al18--I already own a large stake in FBALX in the TIRA. I picked FPURX and FBALX at the same time. Glad to hear I chose good funds.
Understand. My Roth is relatively small, so to make the overall AA rebalancing easier, I just used 1 index fund for my Roth and rebalance overall through my TIRA.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur58 View Post
Hi :
I am age 60, retired, and living off my taxable savings only.

I plan to convert 15-20K of traditional IRA each year to a Roth account (my first). I don't need the money to live on.

For this first year, I converted 10K to Roth in April and put it all in Fidelity Puritan. FPURX has increased in value by $720 on paper since April.

I'm about to convert another 5K in September. I'd wait until the end of the year however, I need to show accurate documentation of my income in early November to sign up for a HC plan and get an accurate cost.

Guess I'm looking for a solid performer with steady growth. Do I have it already? Or should I use a more aggressive fund for a Roth?

The money you convert from IRA to Roth is your income (plus any other income of course).
Money growing in your ROTH does not count as income.

For my HC plan under the ACA, my Roth conversions are a significant part of my income. I wrote a letter explaining this, and that was accepted as documentation of my income.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

FPURX outperforms its peers by nearly 2x. Not bad for an allocation fund.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This fund looks good for the last 10 years due to heavy concentration in Growth stocks. No one knows how the next 10 years will play out. It beats Wellington for the 10 year results, but Wellington is better for the 15 year results with less equities. The Fidelity fund is 65-70% equities while Wellington is 60%. In a down market(2008) Wellington was about 7% better. The fund is a good choice if it fits your asset allocation, but it is not the only choice.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

I also hold FPURX in my mix. It is a 60/40 target allocation fund, but allows the fund mgrs to increase or decrease the numbers some to account for market performance. So it is heavier into stocks now. I like it, and it has a good track record. I do not see anything wrong with your choice for FPURX in a Roth, assuming that it meets your allocation goals.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #10

Back in 1988 my wife picked Puritan for a tIRA rollover. She has never opened the Fidelity envelope in 30 years; always just puts it in my pile. Can't say I've done a lot of analysis on it, but by ignoring it, she probably did herself a favor; put in about $5K and pulled out about $75K.

EDIT: I just ran a DQYDJ S&P with reinvested divideds for a related time span and it came to 9.4%. My sheet for FPURX said 9.2%.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
FPURX outperforms its peers by nearly 2x. Not bad for an allocation fund.
"peers" That is a very dangerous comparison. You could easily end up finding the tallest midget. IMO benchmarks should always be broad market indices or, better, broad market index funds.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
"peers" That is a very dangerous comparison. You could easily end up finding the tallest midget. IMO benchmarks should always be broad market indices or, better, broad market index funds.
50%-70% allocation funds. That is a defined asset category and used for comparison in many places. So it is not ambiguous as you insinuate.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
50%-70% allocation funds. That is a defined asset category and used for comparison in many places. So it is not ambiguous as you insinuate.
I'm not insinuating anything. Comparing a fund to its "peers" risks finding the best of a poor lot. The longest of a box of short pencils is still a short pencil.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #14

OS...check post 10...FPURX is not in a group of short pencils
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You and I know that.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not impugning FPURX in any way. I am just pointing out that comparing any fund to its peers, as for example Lipper data,is risky.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Not impugning FPURX in any way. I am just pointing out that comparing any fund to its peers, as for example Lipper data,is risky.
If one desires a certain style or segment (balanced, international, etc) and wants one of the better funds in that segment, comparison to its peers is bad? That makes no sense.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #18

Quote:
If one desires a certain style or segment (balanced, international, etc) and wants one of the better funds in that segment, comparison to its peers is bad? That makes no sense.
I think he means " Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results"

especially when looking at a ten year positive market for growth stocks in

a balanced fund that has a concentration in growth stocks. It would compare

favorably for the the last ten years against a fund like Wellington that has

mostly large value stocks. You may want to compare it to balanced funds

with a growth concentration knowing it may not persist in the future.

VW
Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I think he means " Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results"

especially when looking at a ten year positive market for growth stocks in

a balanced fund that has a concentration in growth stocks. It would compare

favorably for the the last ten years against a fund like Wellington that has

mostly large value stocks. You may want to compare it to balanced funds

with a growth concentration knowing it may not persist in the future.

VW
The comment comes across as more general than just FPURX. He/she/they use the term “comparing any fund...”
Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, first of all I said"risky" not "bad." If you want only the sector and do not care what is going on with the rest of the investment world then that type of comparison may be attractive to you.

Ref @vanwinkle you also have the problem that manager persistence has been shown to be nonexistent in both academic (Fama/French) and empirical (S&P) studies. So trying to pick the best fund in your chosen group is basically a dartboard exercise.