Join Early Retirement Today

GE An $ 8 stock by December?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GE An $ 8 stock by December?

Sure is looking like another dividend cut.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

With what is known it is worth 10-12 dollars, however in recent days the 9 billion of the 15 billion they said they would take for insurance portfolio shortfall is billions short. If that is billions short then the dividend would have to be eliminated and it would be a long rebuilding process. Anyone that is holding for dividend would probably sell.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As a GE vet from the glory days, I find this story so sad. Many long-term employees could never have imagined this happening and invested in GE stock for their retirements.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Sure is looking like another dividend cut.
Could be, it will depend on what the new CEO thinks is right to save the business, or at least get it back to the good old days.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Earnings out, div cut today to 1 cent - like why bother as they now pay the administration costs to process all those div payouts, continued restructuring underway. Nothing surprising and market digesting the info but already pushed stock below $11 currently. Def not making those who are retired and have held their stock through the drops for the div happy as they just took a huge haircut in their income stream.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

4 cent a year.
1,000 shares will get you $40 in 2019.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #7

GE is moving toward a hat size. I'm a 7 5/8. That's where I'm buying it. Either that, or just a new hat.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
GE is moving toward a hat size. I'm a 7 5/8. That's where I'm buying it. Either that, or just a new hat.
I'd recommend the hat. At least then you might get a buck for it when you sell it at a yard sale in 20 years and might get more than if you buy GE.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The GE story is starting to sound like a restructuring and cost cutting adventure to line it up for a possible asset sale at a later date.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Earnings out, div cut today to 1 cent - like why bother as they now pay the administration costs to process all those div payouts, continued restructuring underway. Nothing surprising and market digesting the info but already pushed stock below $11 currently. Def not making those who are retired and have held their stock through the drops for the div happy as they just took a huge haircut in their income stream.

Probably very few checks actually go out... most are electronic payments and there really are no extra charges to GE...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Probably very few checks actually go out... most are electronic payments and there really are no extra charges to GE...
Plus, it might provide an impression of hope that they will increase the div in the future. By keeping a current payment, all the addresses and account numbers for deposit are current. If they went to zero, and then started again after an extended pause, they'd need to verify all that info before they could start again?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I didn't say checks, I said "pay the administration costs to process all those div payouts". Even electronically there's a cost to process all those payments along with time for people to handle calls for missing payments, reconciliation, escheatment, etc. Nothing in life is free, especially with the large number of shareholders that GE has.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am not a biz whiz to understand it, but GE annual gross sales is still something like $120B, while Boeing's sales is around $90B. Both are in similar established areas of business, yet Boeing manages to make some profits, while GE struggles.

GE past management had to be very poor to allow this decline to happen. I am always sad to see a company with a proud history fallen so low. I still hope they can turn it around.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Plus, it might provide an impression of hope that they will increase the div in the future. By keeping a current payment, all the addresses and account numbers for deposit are current. If they went to zero, and then started again after an extended pause, they'd need to verify all that info before they could start again?

-ERD50
Why? Records management has to maintain the shareholder information regardless if there's a dividend paid so not sure where you are going with that.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am not a biz whiz to understand it, but GE annual gross sales is still something like $120B, while Boeing's sales is around $90B. Both are in similar established areas of business, yet Boeing manages to make some profits, while GE struggles.

GE past management had to be very poor to allow this decline to happen. I am always sad to see a company with a proud history fallen so low. I still hope they can turn it around.
It's not what you make, it's all about the margins.

GE = $35 gross profit - $41 operating expenses = LOSS
BA = $14 gross profit - $7 operating expense = WIN

Totally different business with a much different structure. GE has hands in many pots, BA is mostly pretty focused. Just looked, SGA for GE = $17, BA = $4. Shows how different the structure of companies are.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I know GE got into finance and insurance, but what about their core businesses such as GE jet and turbine engines, locomotives, etc...? How well are these doing, and if not, why not?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
I know GE got into finance and insurance, but what about their core businesses such as GE jet and turbine engines, locomotives, etc...? How well are these doing, and if not, why not?
Haven't dug into their recent financials as I have no skin in that game, unloaded them quite some time ago when they were trading around $30. Saw the writing on the wall and just unloaded the pig, haven't looked back except to see I made a good call (gotta get lucky every once in a while). But can't pick and choose what is or isn't good business, unless GE decides to split up, which could be the right answer as the parts may be worth more than the whole.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Jet engines doing great , locos good, power systems, a real disaster . the finance and insurance businesses are trying to sink the ship. The anchor chain cannot be cut at this time.Legacy of decades of picking low hanging fruit, borrowing from the future . The future is here and the bank vault is bare.

The SEC and DOJ are knee deep in the co books. Will not make any diff. Where was the board during the last 20 years, sleeping?

Disclosure, a relative has a small fortune in GE , used to be a large fortune. She would not sell, "Oh, The Dividend is So Good " She also rode the old GM down to 0 for the reason.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Disclosure, a relative has a small fortune in GE , used to be a large fortune. She would not sell, "Oh, The Dividend is So Good " She also rode the old GM down to 0 for the reason.
The healthy dividend is what kept people shackled to GE. They just had been blindsided by being shareholder for decades and refused to accept the reality, any company in crisis has to cut their dividend if they hope to dig their way out.

The reality is those who made the mess of GE ended up with making a fortune, those who relied on GE as shareholder and retired counting on that dividend got screwed and hurt financially.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I didn't say checks, I said "pay the administration costs to process all those div payouts". Even electronically there's a cost to process all those payments along with time for people to handle calls for missing payments, reconciliation, escheatment, etc. Nothing in life is free, especially with the large number of shareholders that GE has.

Yea, probably right.... I was thinking of a full DTC bond issue (what I used to do)... I would make one wire to DTC and there was no charge... DTC gave each broker their share and then it was the broker's job to get to the right account..

But I bet there are a lot of shareholders who actually hold their own shares... and not held in brokers name...

BTW, I also suspect that they are keeping a dividend so they can say they have been giving a dividend for..... well, looks like 119 years...

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...end-to-a-penny
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote