Join Early Retirement Today

GE lower than a snake's belly in a tire rut.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

GE lower than a snake's belly in a tire rut.

Have not checked but they might be the last original DOW stock? Seems like a break up is required. Bad management and bad luck never go together.
Anyone holding this still ... the chart has been going down for years?
SpartacusSchmartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had some a couple of years ago but then turned boglehead and sold it. It's not at the bottom yet! And those dividends are awesome, right?

corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

I worked for a company that had been invaded by GE managers , and later bought out by GE . In my life I had not experienced a bigger group or arrogant know it all bunch of people . Took our company from 5.1 B to just over 1 billion . Now all of these east coast giants have left the company with golden parachutes and the present people are trying to rebuild from the ashes . GE and their managers are not , I have said enough.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought at $15.88 in 2011. Rode it up to $25, then sold at about $22 last year. Whew!!

Unrelated story--Back in 1988, we had a GE refrigerator. They had ads on TV that if your appliance broke, that they would be available for service any day even Christmas and New Years.

Well our fridge went out on New Years, called them and of course couldn't get hold of anyone. It was only about 1-2 years old.

So I hand wrote a letter to the CEO "some guy named Jack Welch" lol and listed all the stuff in my fridge that went bad--did not pad it or anything, cheap burger, cheap chicken, ketchup (don't think it goes bad) but anyway the total was $75 and I requested reimbursement for it.

I was promptly sent a check for $75.

When we moved shortly thereafter, we bought the same refrigerator (but next generation--they figured out the problem) and it is almost 30 years old and still running in our garage.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many of these types of bureaucratic companies seem unable to grow except through acquisitions. They just don’t know how to do it. Their managers just hop from position to position every 3-5 years and never really learn how to do anything. My megacorp was in a big GE industry and was acquired by a GE competitor. The factory site is closing after 100+ years in operation at this location.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
I worked for a company that had been invaded by GE managers , and later bought out by GE . In my life I had not experienced a bigger group or arrogant know it all bunch of people . Took our company from 5.1 B to just over 1 billion . Now all of these east coast giants have left the company with golden parachutes and the present people are trying to rebuild from the ashes . GE and their managers are not , I have said enough.
So that was the trick - leave (or get pushed out of) GE. "Invade" another company, then get it bought out by GE.

Wow - nice gig if you can get it. I think the GE managers must have been masters at raiding a company and grabbing their personal gold parachutes.

$5B to $1B. Outrageous!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I had the same experience as an employee and as an investor in Hp. Sold my stock and dumped my options at $43-$52 thanks to some very prudent advice from our fee for service FA. It enabled me to FIRE early. At the time, the wags were all calling for a $75 stock. Those pigs that held on to stock, options and RSU's got slaughtered. We in the company realized that this target price was not in the cards.

Last time I looked, prior to the breakup, the stock was down in the low 20's. Same story....bad management since Carly came on board all the way down to Hurd. Many good people bailed. It got so bad that as a director we had trouble promoting to first level managers from within the company-individual contributors did not want the job nor did the 'trust' the company.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I had the same experience as an employee and as an investor in Hp. Sold my stock and dumped my options at $43-$52 thanks to some very prudent advice from our fee for service FA. It enabled me to FIRE early. At the time, the wags were all calling for a $75 stock. Those pigs that held on to stock, options and RSU's got slaughtered. We in the company realized that this target price was not in the cards.

Last time I looked, prior to the breakup, the stock was down in the low 20's. Same story....bad management since Carly came on board all the way down to Hurd. Many good people bailed. It got so bad that as a director we had trouble promoting to first level managers from within the company-individual contributors did not want the job nor did the 'trust' the company.
Wow!

And so many of us engineers remembered HP as the instrumentation company.

And were blown away when that original part spun off into Agilent.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

HP makes me cry.

GE makes me angry.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow!

And so many of us engineers remembered HP as the instrumentation company.

And were blown away when that original part spun off into Agilent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
HP makes me cry.

GE makes me angry.
Agreed. Our MegaCorp worked pretty closely with HP, and it just seemed wrong that the Test & Measurement division was the part that took the new name, "Agilent". Test equipment/instrumentation is what put HP on the map. I wonder what Bill and Dave would have thought (wiki says Agilent spun off 1999, and Bill Hewlett was still alive- died 2001, Dave Packard was gone in 1996 )?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Keysight is the instrument spinoff from Agilent. First instruments after the name change were a sticker job over the old logos.

HP also had a medical division, I kinda work there now.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
....Those pigs that held on to stock, options and RSU's got slaughtered. ...
I think you mean hogs.... the saying is "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

Quote:
What does 'Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered' mean?
This idiom is used to express being satisfied with enough, that being greedy or too ambitious will be your ruin.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It is sad to see corporations with a long and proud history like GE and HP got destroyed by CEOs who possessed little of the core technical competency that was the tradition of the respective corporations.

I still have several pieces of HP instruments in my home electronic hobby shop. HP for spectrum analyzers and signal generators. Tektronix for o'scopes. One learned from the master analog circuit designers by studying the schematic diagrams of these things.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is sad to see corporations with a long and proud history like GE and HP got destroyed by CEOs who possessed little of the core technical competency that was the tradition of the respective corporations.

I still have several pieces of HP instruments in my home electronic hobby shop. HP for spectrum analyzers and signal generators. Tektronix for o'scopes. One learned from the master analog circuit designers by studying the schematic diagrams of these things.
Their older model business printers were indestructible. I am still running a HP 4040 unit at home (over 10 years now).
Old 08-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #15

I console myself about GE by remembering last year some poor soul paid $9714.38 per share of HMNY. Today those shares traded at 3 cents each.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I still have several pieces of HP instruments in my home electronic hobby shop. HP for spectrum analyzers and signal generators. Tektronix for o'scopes. ...
I think you'll like this...

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...gs-etc.755959/

Quote:
... One learned from the master analog circuit designers by studying the schematic diagrams of these things.
One late evening, I "caught" our VP of Technology "dumpster diving" for the manuals of the HP equipment we had purchased. I bought large quantities for production, and we only needed a few manuals for reference, so the rest went in the trash (these are big binders, they take up lots of space). Yes, he wanted to study the schematics.

I told him, next time we'll save some for you!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The stuff in that forum thread is quite a bit older than what I still have, which are of 1970-2000 vintage.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Sad and expensive. I bought an expensive laptop a few years ago. Mainly because it was a HP model. My next one will not be from HP.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #19

In the case of our company the GE managers were all products of Jack Welch management school . Now even Seeking Alpha is writing about the worthless people that took over these companies .

I remember one of our VP's having a meeting with us , after we had been a leading service provider in our field that we were no longer going to be a service company ,he said we are Lions ..We are going to walk with other Lions , not lead .

Guess what we lost so many customers my company is now under control of another company and investment group .
No love for these people , they have harmed so many companies they buy out and the people within them .

I just don't understand these managers / get rid of 10% of your workforce every year and rehire . We had people who had ran a pet shop telling rig hands how to run jobs .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
In the case of our company the GE managers were all products of Jack Welch management school .
My megacorp has a few in the c-suite now. Since this happened a few years ago, mega has changed. The stock has gone up, the morale as dropped.

It will be interesting to see how sustainable it is. The business is all about business and not about the technology, in a tech companty. I fear an HP reckoning coming. The good news is I'll be long gone.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote