Join Early Retirement Today

General Motors...RIP
Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
General Motors...RIP

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Goodbye General Motors, hello Government Motors.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And nothing of value was lost.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My gal worked for a number of GM dealerships as a service adviser, then long time service manager, now warranty clerk/personnel manager/one who knows where the right switches are type person. She's loyal as can be, not swayed by a paycheck, and she was talking last night about where she would be if we hadn't gotten together. At one time GM corporate was courting her, she turned them down because we were together and i was staying here. I can easily imagine her having all her assets in GM stock - instead we only have a thousand shares or so and have no plans to sell. If the share value goes to zero so be it - might have to find some old July 4th skyrockets and pop a champagne cork to say farewell to General Bullmoose.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

So why couldn't they have declared bankruptcy back in Jan before they got the money from the government? Seems like the billions of tax dollars just delayed the inevitable.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
So why couldn't they have declared bankruptcy back in Jan before they got the money from the government? Seems like the billions of tax dollars just delayed the inevitable.
Ding, ding, ding.

Someone noticed.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

'cause the bankruptcy would have allowed Gm to can the union, and the new gummint did not want a bunch of unemployed union members voicing their opinion in a protest.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Here is what I said back in Dec.

Quote:
Why not have Uncle Sam provide a guarantee that they will honor a warranty of the Big 3 cars. That gets rid of the argument that consumers won't buy from a bankrupt car company and clearly there is a 3rd party industry that already handles this. Albeit not on GM's scale but it would certainly provide work for GM dealers. Say it cost $2K/car and the big 3 make 10 million cars while in bankruptcy the cost to Uncle Sam is only 20 billion, cheap by comparison.

The second argument which worked was this. A speculator can buy GM debt at roughly $.25 on the dollar, e.g an 8% GM bond for $250 meaning that they are collect 32% interest with the potential of a 4x return if the company is still in business 10 or 20 years from know.

As long as GM is out of bankruptcy the speculator collected their ridiculous interest rate at the taxpayers expense. Once bankruptcy happens no more interest payments to speculators (or other bondholders for that matter). Eventually the bankruptcy court sorts out who gets paid what and what percentage of new GM stock each bondholder, suppliers, banks etc own.

Uncle Sam providing the bankruptcy financing is also a reasonable compromise but the only way GM survives is it has to stop paying interest on its debt.

I was far from alone in advocating this, with even the most free market folks on the board reluctantly supporting Uncle Sam providing debtor in possession financing.

6 months latter this pretty much exactly what has happened, except bond holder have been generally received an additional payment, workers have gotten full wages, suppliers have been paid, with many tens of billions expended all courtesy of we the taxpayers.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

By far the worst part of this entire fiasco is the adminstration's outright fraudulance by destroying the capital structure. The way the bondholders were told to bend over on this one changes the entire risk structure for corporate debt. Who's going to buy corporate debt now when they see Chrysler and GM bondholders told to shut up and take whatever the gov't deems appropriate?
bsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

I like to deal in realities, not soundbites.
Why specifically to some people refer to it as becomming Government Motors.
And why the talk about the administration destorying the capital structure?
The government brokered a deal, the bondholders refused (in Chrysler's case) and the case rightfully went to court.
In GM's case, the bondholders refused until they got what they thought was a better deal and most likely GM is STILL going to go to bankruptcy case, so that deal my be null and void.

GM started to turn things around, but did so too late. I will be happy to see them as a leaner more nimble company that can put more money into the customer experience.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Because the government will own a majority of the restructured company?

Seems like a pretty darned good reason to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Secured lenders were screwed in these bankruptcies. They were told by O's administration to accept the government's plan or else. The plan striped the senior lenders of protections under law. Why buy the safest form of debt if your not first in line to receive any proceeds from a bankruptcy, answer: you don't.

Quote:
GM started to turn things around, but did so too late. I will be happy to see them as a leaner more nimble company that can put more money into the customer experience.
Haha, I like to deal in realities.
bsmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
And nothing of value was lost.
What the hell kind of statement is that?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #14

The ultimate question will be 'does the new GM build cars people want to buy, or will they build cars the government wants them to build'?

I think everyone here can figure out how many they will sell under both assumptions (or at least under assumption two).
Old 05-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
The ultimate question will be 'does the new GM build cars people want to buy, or will they build cars the government wants them to build'?

I think everyone here can figure out how many they will sell under both assumptions (or at least under assumption two).
They will sell more than most think especially once the increased government gasoline tax kicks in and takes us well above several dollars per gallon. And the other shoe will be strict emissions testing for older and "obsolete" vehicles.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Goodbye General Motors, hello Government Motors.
I think that aside from the taxpayer, Ford may be the biggest loser in all of this. They played the game as they should have, put themselves in a position to have been the last man standing, and now wont benefit from an increase in market share due to government support of their primary competitors.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post

If you like "realities", welcome to the new reality.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I think that aside from the taxpayer, Ford may be the biggest loser in all of this. They played the game as they should have, put themselves in a position to have been the last man standing, and now wont benefit from an increase in market share due to government support of their primary competitors.
I hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're not. I'd really like to see Ford be the big winner in all of this.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
They will sell more than most think especially once the increased government gasoline tax kicks in and takes us well above several dollars per gallon. And the other shoe will be strict emissions testing for older and "obsolete" vehicles.
Why? Do you think that Government Motors will supply a car that is "better and cheaper" than Ford, Honda or Toyota?

If I was a "buy domestic" type of guy, who would I choose? Ford, GM or the other company?

Or are you suggesting (and it might happen) that the gov't will make laws about CAFE or some other thing so that only GM can supply?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're not. I'd really like to see Ford be the big winner in all of this.
My fear too. Ford deserves to benefit from being the one major domestic automaker that has not taken a taxpayer bailout, but I don't see how that shapes up. Just another aspect of the current mess that does not make any sense to me...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote