Give me a four-year BEAR!

Texconsin

Recycles dryer sheets
Let's pull out of this tailspin sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. Four more years in the 401(k) with stocks on sale!

Who's with me on this?

Let's pull out of this tailspin sometime in late 2018 or early 2019. Four more years in the 401(k) with stocks on sale!

Who's with me on this?

Not me. I'm adding very little if any new money to my portfolio so i'm hoping this is a short, temporary bear market then we can go back to running with the bulls. On the plus side, I don't expect to need to cash out at a lose so I have plenty of time for the market to recover.

I don't know what tailspin you speak about, but I definitely would like to see stocks getting a bit cheaper.

As a retired person completely dependent on my portfolio, I definitely don't want to see this happen. I could survive on cash for that length of time, but my portfolio would be so battered that I would have to withdraw from it at its nadir. My portfolio's long term sustainability would be severely impacted.

:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

Bear markets are great for those hitting their peak earning years (and if you have no stock options). But you won't like this much if you lose your job.

The recession in 2009 and the subsequent recovery were very good to us financially but now I think "please just one more year like 2013".

A set AA with reasonable rebalance bands can help but personally I've had enough drama in my 40 year investment history. A 10% correction here and there is fine but you can leave the bears out in the woods.

I'm with you, Tex.

Foxfirev5, I love the sentiment of your tag line.

A set AA with reasonable rebalance bands can help but personally I've had enough drama in my 40 year investment history. A 10% correction here and there is fine but you can leave the bears out in the woods.
+1!

Seriously - two of the worst bear markets in decades hit after I retired (retired in 1999). Don't I deserve a break now?

Corrections - fine, even welcome. But another bear? - not fair!!!!!

We can't afford a bear market. No bailout money left and pension funds have mostly gotten back on track because of market gains. If they lose 20% now...well...

Something has to hold this market up or all hell breaks loose.

Bear markets are for savers, bull markets for spenders.

Having made the transition from saver to spender this year, I'm not hoping for a bear market.

Who's with me on this?

Not me...I have money in the market now...a extended Bear market would make that money worth less than it is. I'd rather just have it go up forever...takes the guess work out of whether you have enough saved for retirement :dance:

added plus stocks would always be on sale relative to next year :cool:

1966 - 2014 Been there done that. Accumulation, ER, and now over 70 and RMD.

And finally the Saint's made to the Superbowl! Entertainment wise I prefer football.

heh heh heh - full auto via Target Retirement(a life cycle type fund) since 2006. I even let the computers rebalance. ;)

We're not as long on stocks as some, so we could bear it; but we wouldn't be grinning.

Amethyst

Who's with me on this?

I will drink to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Who's with me on this?

It choice "B" it quadruples? I'll take quadruples.

We can't afford a bear market. No bailout money left and pension funds have mostly gotten back on track because of market gains. If they lose 20% now...well...

Something has to hold this market up or all hell breaks loose.

Wha du yah mean no bailout money left ? The gse's Fannie-Mae and Freddie-Mac are talking 3% down home loans again. Uncle Sam has plenty of sugar cookies left in the jar , dolled out indirectly.

It could certainly be a bear market coming, but the economy is strong. House are being built, companies have plenty of money. The consumer is being given a large wage increase with the price of gas so low. Companies are hiring. It may be low wage jobs, but they are hiring. Businesses have plenty of cheap labor coming, which should also help profitability.

I look for a small periodic corrections, and headed up for the next several years.

I'd like to see this too! For those who don't, I think you should re-evaluate your asset allocation and risk tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to see this too! For those who don't, I think you should re-evaluate your asset allocation and risk tolerance.

That makes no sense. There's no reason to wish for a bear market no matter what your asset allocation is unless you are still accumulating. Even then, if you're wishing for anything, you should be wishing for a slow steady rising market that never drops. You're wishing for a 4 year bear market? What if you get a 4 year bear market that never recovers fully?

Four years of negative returns is not what a recent retiree like me would like to see even with a reasonable percentage of equity exposure.

Corrections are normal but an extended bear market is not something I want to see.

Last edited:

Thanks for the outstanding advice. I'll get right on it.

Look at the Dow from say 1966 to 1982 that was fun. I seriously considered real estate as my only road to retirement riches.

heh heh heh - investing environment around the water cooler back then was interesting - to say the least. I still have some old yellowed paperwork from our 10% joint venture in a patented gold mine in Colorado. :blush: :angel: :facepalm: :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom