Join Early Retirement Today

Good back tester that includes rebalancing
Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Good back tester that includes rebalancing

Good Morning
I'm "revamping" my investement policy a little. I basically follow an "Ivy league" type layout. 40% stock, 40% bond, 20% "alternatives" (REits, mReit, BDC, Commod, etc.) With stocks, I tilt toward value / small cap. And so I would like to find out how big of a difference it makes in separating large from small company and rebalancing when they get out of whack, vs. just investing in "total stock" and adding a small cap value tilt. In case that's still not clear, I'd need a back test or other means to determine if there's any "alpha" in having for example, Large cap fund + small cap value fund, rebalancing to keep the percentages where I put them, instead of a total stock market fund with a small SC value fund to tilt it.

If I decide to go with Total market, of course I'd just go with vanguard total stock, but if break it up, whcih of Vanguard's funds would be best suited to represent a plain vanilla US LC fund?

(PS, I will also have International, emerging market, etc.)
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something like VOO?
  • Invests in stocks in the S&P 500 Index, representing 500 of the largest U.S. companies.
  • Goal is to closely track the index’s return, which is considered a gauge of overall U.S. stock returns.
  • Offers high potential for investment growth; share value rises and falls more sharply than that of funds holding bonds.
  • More appropriate for long-term goals where your money’s growth is essential.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use vanguard total stock, some mid cap and very little international. I just started using the Vanguard municipal bond ETF.......we'll see what happens. I look at 5 and 10 year average returns.........they've worked best for me over the years. Good Luck
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Portfolio Charts | a picture is worth a thousand calculations might have want you're looking for, hotwired. They even have some pre-mixed portfolios in the mix, including ivy league and some with small/value tilts. I believe the calculator rebalances automatically.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Something like this?

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I'd need a back test or other means to determine if there's any "alpha" in having for example, Large cap fund + small cap value fund, rebalancing to keep the percentages where I put them, instead of a total stock market fund with a small SC value fund to tilt it.
Short answer: Total stock is a large cap fund and there will be no significant difference between your two strategies.

More detail:

The closest tool to what you are asking I think would be simba's backtesting spreadsheet: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Simb...ng_spreadsheet . But I don't think this will be helpful because

(1) for all intensive purposes Total Stock is a large cap fund. Just plot total stock and any large cap index (not value based) on morningstar or other tool and you'll see 99% correlations.

(2) Due to point 1, the effect size from rebalancing is going to be tiny and Simba's spreadsheet (and similar tools) won't have enough data to answer your question with any reliability. I think in Simba's spreadsheet the data only goes back to the 70s. Plus there are only a few funds to listed to make a portfolio.

(3) Large cap funds (as opposed to total stock) tend to have (small) negative size loadings which would probably eat into any miniscule "alpha" you might generate from rebalancing.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
My favorite, EZBacktest:
Free Download: EzBackTest: About/Screenshots

Features
* Multiple portfolio files

* Try different re-allocation schemes

* Quick link to quotes

* Calculate portfolio's dividends yield, sharpe ratio, annualized returns, Standard Deviation

* Measure and compare performance directly on graph

* Cache downloads within single usage instance to allow quick adjustments to portfolio and recalculation

* Create Correlation Matrix

* Compare saved portfolio to achieve: Sharpe Plots, Monthly performance graphs, Sharpe bars, year over year returns

* Bull/Bear strategic allocation simulation over simple-moving-average-cross signals

* Simple-Moving-Average trader simulation

* 5% Reallocation Bands

* Cost Average Simulation

* Artificial Intelligence Sharpe Optimization
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote