Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's highly puzzling. Stock markets moves, news happens.

And then, headline:
Investors today are selling/buying/holding because of <news event>. Even if said <news event> "caused" the inverse stock movements the day before.

Sometimes the whole talking heads and daily paper routine seems like a worldwide inside joke.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes - it's best ignored. They have no clue.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #83

We found the culprit!

Thought this was a joke first (or the onion), sadly this really happened:

Chinese reporter makes on-air 'confession' after market chaos | World news | The Guardian
Old 09-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

From the link:
A leaked government propaganda directive from July said: “Do not conduct in-depth analysis, and do not speculate on or assess the direction of the market. Do not exaggerate panic or sadness. Do not use emotionally charged words such as slump, spike or collapse.”
Note the above words that I made bold. Nothing has changed in Red China. Badmouthing the gummint is reactionary, a crime against the state and people punishable by death.

If our CNBC reporters were in China, they would have been paraded then executed publicly. The Red Guards killed several millions during the Cultural Revolution for doing much less.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Yep - it's a different universe. I wish their stock market had much less impact on ours.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From the link:
A leaked government propaganda directive from July said: “Do not conduct in-depth analysis, and do not speculate on or assess the direction of the market. Do not exaggerate panic or sadness. Do not use emotionally charged words such as slump, spike or collapse.”
Note the above words that I made bold. Nothing has changed in Red China. Badmouthing the gummint is reactionary, a crime against the state and people punishable by death.

If our CNBC reporters were in China, they would have been paraded then executed publicly. The Red Guards killed several millions during the Cultural Revolution for doing much less.
That's terrible. I know I should be ashamed, but I can't help wishing they had jurisdiction over Paul B. Farrell...
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about Paul Farrell. I stopped watching financial TV long ago, and when I did, it was only the cute female reporters that I watched. I would not want anything bad happen to these lovely creatures, no matter what they say.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do not think that our problems directly relate to Chinese slow down. Our trade deficit with China is enormous and most economists understand that printing more dollars to cover it is not going to work any longer. Our QEs already caused many Asian countries to switch their trade in their own currencies bypassing the dollar. I think it is result of the Feds policies since 2008. Many economists point out that Stocks were propped up by injection of huge funds from QEs to the economy. If so, then we will see farther decline in the Market or if Feds resume QEs, dollar surely is going to lose a lot of it's value.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
I do not think that our problems directly relate to Chinese slow down. Our trade deficit with China is enormous and most economists understand that printing more dollars to cover it is not going to work any longer. Our QEs already caused many Asian countries to switch their trade in their own currencies bypassing the dollar. I think it is result of the Feds policies since 2008. Many economists point out that Stocks were propped up by injection of huge funds from QEs to the economy. If so, then we will see farther decline in the Market
+1, I agree completely. The Fed started it, and now Central Banks around the world are manipulating markets with this QE/zero-interest rate stuff, which only delays the day of reckoning. It's been 7 years of this stuff, and it simply is not going to prop up the markets for much longer, considering the overall weakness in the global economy. There was a comment article in today's NY Times, "A Call for a Free Market", that sums up all this pretty well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/bu...=55308175&_r=0
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1, I agree completely. The Fed started it, and now Central Banks around the world are manipulating markets with this QE/zero-interest rate stuff, which only delays the day of reckoning. It's been 7 years of this stuff, and it simply is not going to prop up the markets for much longer, considering the overall weakness in the global economy. There was a comment article in today's NY Times, "A Call for a Free Market", that sums up all this pretty well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/bu...=55308175&_r=0
Bill Gross shares a similar opinion in his Sept. IO

It's not all about China.

https://www.janus.com/bill-gross-investment-outlook
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Has Gross been right much the last few years?

He should be thinking of FIREing.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
He should be thinking of FIREing.
Well, he was FIRE'd

Bill Gross says he was fired by Pimco - Fortune
Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #93

Well according to Pat Robertson it was caused by the Supremes sanctioning gay marriage. So there you go, take your pick and personally I think it was in the stars.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Well according to Pat Robertson it was caused by the Supremes sanctioning gay marriage. So there you go, take your pick and personally I think it was in the stars.
And they seemed like such nice girls...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-supremes.jpg (155.8 KB, 6 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hang On Help Is On Its Way
Song by Little River Band

Great song!
Happily Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Hanging out

article-2340314-1A462191000005DC-460_306x423.jpg
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - it's a different universe. I wish their stock market had much less impact on ours.

Isn't it ironic when it their market was going up 100% earlier in the year it had little impact on us, but when their ballon pops it suddenly does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Hang on!!!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #98

Hang on!!!!!

I agree. Theirs goes up and and ours does nothing much. Then theirs pops and for some reason ours does too. I can't understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Isn't it ironic when it their market was going up 100% earlier in the year it had little impact on us, but when their balloon pops it suddenly does.
Yes. Ridiculous!

But typical. Irrational crap happens like that all the time.