Headed For A Double Dip Recession?

novaman

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking at my portfolio and we've come back a long way quickly from the bottom of last year. I'm also reading a lot of reports that economic indicators don't look so good, there's a lot of inside selling, etc. So- you all think we are headed for a double dip, or prolonged stagnation?

I'm looking at my portfolio and we've come back a long way quickly from the bottom of last year. I'm also reading a lot of reports that economic indicators don't look so good, there's a lot of inside selling, etc. So- you all think we are headed for a double dip, or prolonged stagnation?

I don't know. But I do know that every time I have made really good gains with stocks it has been on a backdrop of good insider buying. It is absolutely impossible to guess what will happen; that is why I won't participate in polls like "Where will the Dow be at year end?"

A rational goal is not to guess what will happen, but to assess whether you are buying good enough quality cheaply enough that over time the odds are likely strongly in your favor.

Ha

I don't know where you are getting reports of economic indicators not looking so good. Most of them have been improving for a while.

Insiders were apparently doing massive buying in March, so I suppose they are taking some profits now. Sounds prudent to me.

According to these guys a double-dip recession is unlikely US Poised For Stronger Recovery Than Expected

Audrey

I bought a bunch of stock on the dip and decided to sell today to lock in the profit-

So you think parking it in a bond fund would be a good move now?

If interest rates start to climb , bond funds will get beat-up rather quickly.

I also thought economic indicators were improving. There are a lot of talking heads out there getting to do point-counter-point discussions on the financial stations that are confusing.

If interest rates start to climb , bond funds will get beat-up rather quickly.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I disagree with your statement. At least 2 factors will affect the way a bond fund responds to rising interest rates: the fund's duration and the speed at which interest rates are rising. For example, as the Feds increased interest rates from 1% to 5.25% between 2003 and 2006, many bond funds continued to experience positive total returns, albeit often lower than those experienced in periods of declining interest rates.

My ouija board is in the shop, but I think this rally had to take a pause sometime...

My ouija board is in the shop, but I think this rally had to take a pause sometime...
Sure, but -- it is a coincidence that the first -2% day (or worse) in a long time during this rally happens on October 1? Maybe, maybe not, but a lot of people are afraid of being in the market in October, even though September is a worse month historically.

No financial maven here.

Reading all the reasons/guesses for when and why the market goes up/down reminds me of the long list of [-]excuses[/-] reasons fishermen use for why the fish do('nt) bite. Usually in hindsight some are dead on the mark.

I'm letting it ride.

I don't like what I am seeing in the treasury market. Long term rates have been dropping lately, and that's not exactly bullish. I am glad I took some profits from equities in September, just in case.

I don't like what I am seeing in the treasury market. Long term rates have been dropping lately, and that's not exactly bullish. I am glad I took some profits from equities in September, just in case.

Yeah I got real antsy a few days after I started this thread so I totally cashed out.

I also thought economic indicators were improving. There are a lot of talking heads out there getting to do point-counter-point discussions on the financial stations that are confusing.

I'm not sure what sources you are getting your news from but I've seen a lot of indication that things are not good.

I've also come to realize that the mainstream press is really painting a picture to try and help make this administration look good - so they are putting the positive spin on the economy- like a bunch of cheerleaders on the sidelines of the Detroit lions....or maybe the Washington Redskins.:)

Its like beting on the dogs - damned if you do damned if you dont... If the market tanks youll be laughing, if it booms you will be kicking your self.... I used this strategy early on in my investing and got sick of being out of the market on to many up swings.....

Which is why now i only invest in good companies, with low debt, high ROE , below value , with good dividends... that way if the market tanks my dividend stream allows me to buy lots at good value.... Using this the GFC was a god send to me and a double dip would be even better......(but im not wishing for it as I know the pain it inflicts on others).

I do however have around 5% of my portfolio that I try to have invested in a very small fledgling company or two with rediculous growth prospects. At the moment I have that in AusTex Oil and Carnarvon Petrolium. Both have just transitioned from oil explorers to producers. Carnarvon has had its price explosion over the last two years and Austex is primed and ready to go.... Thats the only gambling I do and its well and trully informed gambling, which reduces the risk... I get out of them when the ROE stops climbing by more then 10% p.a. and I look for another one. If im worried they wont continue the run, i get my money back and leave the gains on the table....

But as far as pulling your whole money in and out of the market, its almost impossible to get it right enough times to be ahead.

IMHO, we are still very much in a preservation of capital mode. Now is not the time to be reaching for yield. Anyone who thinks the problems associated with the massive credit deleveraging we are experiencing is over is living in a dream world.

The response of the FED/Treasury has only re-postponed the correction and IMHO making the inevitable adjustment that much worse. That having been said, I suspect the idiots calling the shoots on fiscal/monetary policy can keep this insanity going much longer than I think. YMMV.

I am trying to figure out what move to make next.
oldtrig

yeah this was sort of discussed on another thread, but it looks like there aren't any good choices to make right now. I'm sitting on a lot of cash. If hyperinflation occurs I'm screwed.

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

Myself, I am invested. I bought equities (50% US/50% non-US) in the first quarter at the lowest point I ever hope to see. I was also unemployed at the time (for 5 months, eventually). Even after withdrawing from my IRA to pay the bills, we are where we were in 2004, which ain't too bad.

You want to see countries in real trouble? Try Argentina, Iceland, Mexico.

Mind you, I am still working. (Paid in petrodollars. Sweet, but unplannned.)

Diversify! No one can know the future. I sure don't.

Suerto,

Gypsy

Anyone who thinks the problems associated with the massive credit deleveraging we are experiencing is over is living in a dream world.

Maybe not over, but its hard to argue that there haven't been a lot of improvements.

Leverage is coming down in the financial sector (Goldman's leverage is down to 13x in the recent quarter from about 30x), many other financial institutions have issued equity and some have sold assets. And most of the "toxic" residential mortgage securities have been written down at this point (although losses on commercial bank loans still need to be taken). So not only is leverage lower than it was, asset quality is better. Meanwhile banks are making a killing on the steep yield curve which cushions balance sheets against the commercial loan losses that are coming. In the corporate world, leveraged companies are having good success in terming out near-term maturities and bank debt, improving liquidity and stability. Profits are much better than anyone expected these past two quarters. And for individuals, personal savings rates are back in to the mid-single digits.

Risks abound, but things are much better than they were.

Things are much better with my own investments. I bought small value at its lowest point earlier this year, and then large value (which I had sold in '08), and have seen tremendous growth in my portfolio. I think I am past where I was in late '07 (after taking into account my withdrawals and additions the past 2 years).

But I don't have any sense at all that this is solid, so I will re-balance on an "up" day next week.

Lead sled dog is Target Retirement 2015 on full auto - ie a certain amount every year goes to Prime MM to fund my ER.

Double Dip? Not to the point of a certain Boglehead who posts over there - 'Don't know , don't care.'

I may get all gervous and nerky over Mr Market from time to time - but hopefully I can continue to do a Bogle-esque 'hurry up, just stand there'.

And then the Norwegian widow tells herself - a dip is an opportunity to pick up a few good dividend stocks - only as side money/lagniappe mind you.

heh heh heh - :D

Maybe not over, but its hard to argue that there haven't been a lot of improvements.

Leverage is coming down in the financial sector (Goldman's leverage is down to 13x in the recent quarter from about 30x), many other financial institutions have issued equity and some have sold assets. And most of the "toxic" residential mortgage securities have been written down at this point (although losses on commercial bank loans still need to be taken). So not only is leverage lower than it was, asset quality is better.

Risks abound, but things are much better than they were.

I disagree.
Leverage has been shifted from the private (business) sector to the government. Second, the consumer is just beginning the process of delevering. Third, the losses on "toxic" loans have not been nearly fully written down. Four, CRE has yet to even begin to raise its ugly head in terms of significant writedowns. Five, at somepoint the massive stimulus being practiced by the Federal Government will have to come to an end (given debt levels).

The only thing that has been achieved in the last year is that the government stepped in and provided massive liquidity at the expense of the taxpayer. I agree they succeeded in stopping the wheels coming off the system, but have not dealt with the underlying problems. Moreover, we have seen only modest improvements to the economy in the face of subsidies measured in the $ trillions. That should give you reason to pause for thought.

The policies to date are only a re-flation of existing issues. We are following in the footsteps of Japan from what I can tell at this point.

Of course, this is only this man's opinion and time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom