Help me win my stockpicking contest

RedHawk

Recycles dryer sheets
I am a junior in college. In my finance class we are having a stock simulation during the semester. I have $500,000 to play with. First part is to buy at least at least two individual stocks. What stocks are you guys currently looking at? I am think about buying Dow Chemical.

How many weeks long is it (what are the start & stop dates), how many people, can you trade, is it winner take all and are there prizes? Usually they are short games so you are best off finding some very speculative and risky stocks and hoping you hit a short term home run.

I can't imagine winning with DOW.

If it is like the typical stock picking contest, you'll need to make very concentrated bets. If you have to pick 2 stocks, pick exactly 2 and no more. Probably best to pick them in the same sector so they are more correlated. You want to hit home runs here. Pick something very speculative that is a long shot. Might be time to find an obscure penny stock or something that might get a good pop. No suggestions, sorry!

Your class could not have come during a more interesting market..
These are some stocks that have shown decent momentum for a while.
MOS DGLY TRA TNH POT... I did well with TRA and TNH during the 07 CNBC contest. Fertilizer stocks..

If you want to gamble on some stocks that are in the crapper and barely on life support...Try--ETFC FNLY SCA FINL IMB SPF FMDA..

Finally a few that I have a dog in the fight,,, I'm thinking I will get a chance to buy them low tomorrow AM and sell slightly higher in the PM. I can't say I'd go with them for a semester, but I like them for the short run.. CRNT CCC DGLY BIOS XING NM.
Most importantly do your own DD....Lots and lots.

Find one of the worst beaten up banks and go for it. Let it all ride!!! YEAHHAWWW :cell:

I would look at small, even micro cap, or maybe even penny stocks and see what happens. Take risks with fake money.

What is the consequence if you have nothing left at end of contest? Do you fail the class?

Can you buy ETFs? Buy a bear ETF and you might do well.

maybe even penny stocks and see what happens. Take risks with fake money.
The simulator that we use doesn't allow you to buy stocks under $2. No consequence for having no money left just lost pride.

What are you supposed to learn from this? The 'winner' (as others have pointed out) will very likely be someone who picked 2 volatile stocks and got lucky.

Unless that *is* the point?

-ERD50

This is an idea just to "win" the contest. Are you allowed to trade a lot? If so then buy the 2 stocks that lost the most the previous day and sell them at the end of 1 day of holding them. The smaller the market cap of the stock the better it is

-h

I believe you may get the best ROI from the financials. EVERYONE hates them & no one wants to own them. Any good news will rocket them up mightily.

Take a look at WM, C, MS & GS. Also GOOG could be up 100 points in the next few weeks.

Best of luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom