Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's a page from Vanguard with a little info on their stable value fund: (from the institutional branch)

Not much to go on there. If you don't have one in your 401k you're out of luck. And if your 401k has a crummy one, you might not care anyway. But some of us have a decent one with a very competitive return.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe
Yes, it is a shame that Stable Value funds are only available in 401ks.
I suspect they are getting a lot of attention right now. Mine is paying 2.14% and I am happy.
Will get back into market after this rout.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

tcaron20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
There are ways to keep this all simple and you are very definitely on the right track by getting out of Prudential and fully into Vanguard. Just doing that bakes in a lot of important good decisions. No one is born a good investor and everyone can learn the basics, which are all you need. Knowing what I know now after my wife and I have worked regular professional nonprofit and government jobs, invested for 22 years, and became members of the "double comma club", if you will, well before 50, I suggest you simply:

1) Get the money into Vanguard but not buy anything just yet;

2) Look through Vanguard's offerings of All-In-One Funds, paying particular attention to the LifeStrategy and the Target Date selections, since those all consist of highly-diverse, low cost index funds, which is what you want;

3) Talk to the good folks at Vanguard and tell them your goals for this relatively long term money, admit your current lack of knowledge, and say you want the simplest solution possible for the lowest fees, which is why you are probably most interested in finding either the right LifeStrategy Fund or Target Date Fund. Vanguard is uniquely trustworthy among investment companies because it is a co-op owned by you, the shareholder. They aren't trying to make Wall Street happy or sell you stuff you don't need.

4). Ask Vanguard about buying the fund all at once or buying it over a period of time. I believe in buying it all at once since no one can predict the markets and so that you are fully invested at all times, though other smart people here will counsel differently.

5). Enjoy your life and don't fiddle with that IRA until you need the money, at which time you call Vanguard again for further advice about spending.

6). Then, commit to reading the books and blogs recommended by members in this ER Forum, even if just one per year, so that you understand better why the above recommendations are solid, simple and will let you outperform most every other investor, professional or not, who wants to make things more complex and risky than they need to be.

I know that well-meaning others will quibble here and there with these suggestions but my own experience shows you can't go too far astray with them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
I started my Vanguard 401(k) at my ex-employer in January 1995.
I set it up like this.

40% vanguard explorer
30% vanguard index 500
20% vanguard international growth
10% Vanguard total bond market index

I never changed this allocation.
It worked out very well for me.

Good luck & congrats

ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote