Join Early Retirement Today

Help with Stock Stats
Old 12-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Help with Stock Stats

Been doing my Year-End poking around with M*'s "Xray" function on my fund holdings.

I have no idea if the following are good or bad only that they're all much higher relative to the S&P.

I'd suppose that being closer to the S&P would be a good thing but over the past 15 years I've done quite will in the market so I'm not sure exactly what it means; am I over/under aggressive? All of my 8 funds are run-of-the-mill; nothing exotic.

Price/Prospective Earnings Me: 17.17 S&P= .89
Price/Book Ratio Me: 2.43 S&P= .73
ROA Me: 6.33 S&P= .72
Projected EPS Growth Me: 9.88 S&P= 1.06

Any insight appreciated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Price/Prospective Earnings Me: 17.17 S&P= .89
Price/Book Ratio Me: 2.43 S&P= .73
For these two, the S&P numbers do not make any sense. Your numbers are more in line and closer to what the true S&P numbers are.

I don't think there's anything particular wrong with what you have at this time. I would say you are in line with the real S&P numbers and moderately (not overly) aggressive.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
For these two, the S&P numbers do not make any sense. Your numbers are more in line and closer to what the true S&P numbers are.

I don't think there's anything particular wrong with what you have at this time. I would say you are in line with the real S&P numbers and moderately (not overly) aggressive.
Thanks! I'm just going by what M* says; I've found them to give odd numbers from time to time.

What would you expect to see for S&P numbers on those two that you think are incorrect? A quick search showed a recent S&P P/E of 24 (and a mean of 15), so if I were at 17 what does my portfolio being 7 points under that (or 2 points over the mean) imply?
Old 12-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Thanks! I'm just going by what M* says; I've found them to give odd numbers from time to time.

What would you expect to see for S&P numbers on those two that you think are incorrect? A quick search showed a recent S&P P/E of 24 (and a mean of 15), so if I were at 17 what does my portfolio being 7 points under that (or 2 points over the mean) imply?
Current Price/Forward Earnings of S&P is 19 (for 2020 Q4).

You being under that means that your holdings are a better "value" on an earnings basis. That does not necessarily translate in to a higher share price or better comparative performance. Generally, what the market wants to see is "earnings growth", which is more important than the P/E.

2019 S&P earnings growth was 1.9% and for 2020 it is currently projected to be 10%. So, it again looks like you are in the same neighborhood as S&P. However, take earning projections with a big grain of salt. They typically start out high and are slowly reduced through the year. 2019 was initially projected to be 8% growth, and look how that's turned out.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Current Price/Forward Earnings of S&P is 19 (for 2020 Q4).

You being under that means that your holdings are a better "value" on an earnings basis. That does not necessarily translate in to a higher share price or better comparative performance. Generally, what the market wants to see is "earnings growth", which is more important than the P/E.

2019 S&P earnings growth was 1.9% and for 2020 it is currently projected to be 10%. So, it again looks like you are in the same neighborhood as S&P. However, take earning projections with a big grain of salt. They typically start out high and are slowly reduced through the year. 2019 was initially projected to be 8% growth, and look how that's turned out.
Got it! Thanks!!