Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yeah, that's why I cannot figure out what the bond market is doing. Everything I see suggests that we are headed for Fed easing amid a sluggish economy. Yet the bond market has sold off and the equity market is behaving as if the party will never end.

2 year treasuries at 5% or similar tenor agencies at a bit more spread are starting to look awfully attractive...
I still think it's starting to look like 1999, without the tech bubble. Problem is, now we have blue chips looking like bubble stocks.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - RTM wise what stocks/asset classes do I look at now? After 1999 my water utes got bought out - I wasn't bright enough to sell so I made money inspite of myself.

So what's cheap? I've stopped buying Aetna/Union Pacific. Are there low/non bubble asset classes to go shopping in?

heh heh heh - and the next ten bagger(ala Peter Lynch) is ??

Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I do not see much that looks cheap, aside from small and midsized retail banks.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So what you are saying is you have NO individual stock holdings? I find that hard to believe..........
Bupkus. And i'm the guy who used to have a knee high stack of transaction reports at tax time.

I was a friggin genius in 1998 and 1999. Backing into REITS and DODBX/OAKBX/Wellesley in 2000-2002 was luck.

Around 2003 I figured out that I didnt really know a damn thing, and if I thought I did, someone else knew something I didnt and that broke the deal.

Everything else was just luck of the draw and not being a moron.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Bupkus. And i'm the guy who used to have a knee high stack of transaction reports at tax time.

I was a friggin genius in 1998 and 1999. Backing into REITS and DODBX/OAKBX/Wellesley in 2000-2002 was luck.

Around 2003 I figured out that I didnt really know a damn thing, and if I thought I did, someone else knew something I didnt and that broke the deal.

Everything else was just luck of the draw and not being a moron.
Except for the specific mutual funds listed, CFB wrote my post for me.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I do have something to add.... (what a surprise)

I've been involved in many "sophisticated" investments in my time and they usually just didn't seem to turn out like they were supposed to. With a little selective memory, I pretty much rocked on until I started seeing articles about the benefits of index investing. When I pulled together my returns over a number of years, it was pretty clear that I'd have been much better off asset allocating in indexes.

I'm now in a low stress situation that nets me a better return. I do miss the excitement of a "hot stock" but I'm just about over it. My basic approach now is to worship liquidity and low fees. If I ever get over $5MM or so I might revisit the need for high liquidity in all investments (other than my home).
Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I guess I go for a little flavor in my portfolio, but it's pretty easy to do with the tools I have..........

Qualified accounts are ALL in mutual funds. Non-qualified, I use a combination of individual sitcks, ETF's and a few target UIT strategies.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote