Join Early Retirement Today

Hewlett-Packard
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hewlett-Packard

HPQ's share price had increased 70% in 3 months from the low of $11.35 last November. Either there was too much pessimism then or undue optimism now. Where do you think it'll go from here?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
HPQ's share price had increased 70% in 3 months from the low of $11.35 last November. Either there was too much pessimism then or undue optimism now. Where do you think it'll go from here?
I work for them so I'm won't answer the question directly, but there is more optimism among the employees (at least in my area) than I've seen in a long time.

Our repetitive CEO turnover seems to be behind us and Meg Whitman is serious about it taking five years to turn the ship so is correctly setting market expectations.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

I started buying shares of HPQ last year and now have 5,000 shares at an average cost of around $16 per share.

There has been far too much pessimism and an extreme amount of ignorance about HP's business. As an example, PCs made up just 10% of Q1 2013 profits yet HP is still widely thought of as just a PC company.

Anyway, I'm very bullish on HP given the innovative products they have been coming out with, some of which will begin to go into the market next quarter (project moonshot). By the start of 2014 HP will have a lot of new products out, many of which are game changers.

I think HP is also one of the best positioned IT companies in terms of "cloud". I have been extremely happy watching what HP is doing, particularly their public cloud, www.hpcloud.com .

HP just had their channel partner conference and every article I have read on it has said that the channel is extremely happy with the changes to make it easier to sell HP products.

My outsider view is that HP's employees are pumped, HP's channel partners are pumped, and HP has a fantastic product line up that will start to go to market soon. This is a good combination!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

ESRwannabe
Your positive take on HP may be true, but I suspect today's 12.8% pop up of HPQ share price has less to so with investor enthusiasm over the prospects of the company, than short sellers scrambling to cover their short positions (80.6 millions shares shorted, 5.4% of float) they sold when HPQ ran up from $11.35 to over $17 in less than 3 months.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

bondi688,

Check back at the end of 2014 and we will know by then how the turnaround is going. This is a multi-year turnaround.