Hey man, got any Bitcoin?

I don't have any magic. I don't claim that you'll do anything other than lose money. I understand that it is a speculative investment. But if you have some cash to throw at speculative investments then why not crypto currency?

If you aren't comfortable with it, not big deal. It sounds like you are already doing very well for yourself anyway.

You can buy Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin on Coinbase. Of the three, I'd personally buy Litecoin. Its like Bitcoin but is much faster and more flexible. It has become the defacto crypto currency for proving technology ahead of Bitcoin adoption.

Anyway, I totally get it if speculative investments aren't in your portfolio. But I've decided to put 1% of mine into cyrpto currency and so far it's proven a good investment.

How do you buy them on the open market? I don't want to have to create an. Account.

How do you buy them on the open market? I don't want to have to create an. Account.

If you want to buy them with USD, you'll have to open an account with an exchange. I don't know any way around that. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with the black market of obtaining crypto currency.

If you want to buy them with USD, you'll have to open an account with an exchange. I don't know any way around that.

One could also buy GBTC, but you pay a large premium for the convenience.

It is so tempting to cash our 17 in now but my son says to wait because eventually it will go much higher. We earned them mining when it was profitable. We had more but sold off at different points.

Hi and thanks. I signed up on this site a while back but I guess this was my first post. Probably because I'm getting more comfortable with my own ability to retire sooner than later.

I'll do that!

Yeah, full disclosure: I didn't even join until AFTER I retired though I was a long time lurker.

Wish I had played with the bit coin mining or bought early but I never did well on any speculative deals.
I couldn't imagine these pseudo currencies not being clamped down on after seeing the things on Silk Road that bit coin was the only acceptable payment. I thought these would have been shut down or harassed by various governments long ago. Still think it will happen eventually.
Just wasn't in the market for guns, drugs, or slaves.

Bitcoin surges to record above $2,500

Anybody ever buy any Bitcoin?

Anyone know how to buy it? Not that now, at $2500+, up 150% in 2017, is the time to buy it.
I got lucky.

At the beginning of the year, a vendor I use offered a 10% discount if you paid with Bitcoin. So, I stumbled my way through setting up an account. I ended up transferring more money than I needed and just parked the add'l funds in a Bitcoin wallet.

I forgot about it until a week ago. I went into the account and discovered my funds had increased in value by more than 30%.

Oh yeah. :)

If you missed out on Bitcoin's rise, you can always try one of the other similar things, like mailing five letters with $1 in each to XXX and waiting for your money to start rolling in.

If you missed out on Bitcoin's rise, you can always try one of the other similar things, like mailing five letters with $1 in each to XXX and waiting for your money to start rolling in.

Yeah, what we need are good old chain letters again. The only problem is that the Post Office has to deliver them, and we know how well that goes on a regular basis.:LOL:

We still have 1 miner that is profitable. I love seeing the rising value.

The sleaziest member of my extended family has been involved in Bitcoin from very early on, which tells me about all I need to know.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauras...fferings-fueled-a-100-billion-crypto-bubble/2

Saw this Olaf Carlson Wee guy on CNBC talking about crypto currencies. 27 year old Sociology major on the cutting edge.

He spoke of the long term, implying, I think, there will be a day when crypto-c's will underlie the global financial system. The implosion of our current banking system, which almost happened in 2008, would have to happen first. Not so hard to imagine when you think about the stuff Central Banks are still doing.

I bought some BTC back in 2015. I use coin base out in SF as my broker

Bumping so we don't forget....

As of 12 October, $5200... Up70% in less than a month.

We cashed out 2 went it was high. We still have 14 and still mining so still earning. We initially invested 3k four years ago and mining paid all the expenses. We have cashed out 14 k in total so pretty happy. My son was the brains behind this operation.

I got some of the chocolate gold foil wrapped ones on E-Bay, without any monetary value. Haven't tasted them.

My boss at my part time gig is all into things like Bitcoin, Canadian Mining stocks and any other hot un- conventional " Investments ". He owns 3 timeshares , so he must know more about investments than me.

I used Coinbase in 2014 to buy and Bisq (formerly Bitsquare) to sell ever since. Also own ETH and NEO.

Anyone who bought Bitcoin has had a nice run. Now you have to think when to sell it. Nothing goes to the moon forever. I still remember 1999. Has anything changed? I don't think so. I wouldn't want to be caught swimming naked with this. I've been caught before and when it happens you will not be able to tell until it's too late.

I started looking for a crypto index fund as there are so many alt coins now. I found

Crypto20

And have put some money in. Thought people might be interested. Seem like a good way to join in the fun.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Bitcoin has gone crazy but it is costing a fortune in energy to mine them. Seems unsustainable but who knows.

My son and DH just bought 9 new miners. Being engineers they ran the numbers and found it to still be profitable. They have been mining for 4 years. Through the years they have went through a variety of miners. They sell them off when not making enough $ from them.

Back
Top Bottom