Hey man, got any Bitcoin?

What backs up the dollar? In the end it's just a piece of paper

The full faith and credit of the USG. And if you don't like that, taxation authority over the largest economy in the world (quite literally at the point of a gun if they decide to arrest you on tax charges).

Duh 22 tril in debt and 83 tril in unfunded. what good faith?

The only reason you can't trade in china is because of govt crack down on the traders

Duhhhhhhhh , Bitcoin is a pyramid , if you got in early and get out quick you will do fine . kind of like the Emu pyramid . The China Bitcoin situation is much deeper . I don't want to argue with you , I am not a believer in BC . Why not buy into one of the newer Crypto Currencies . more upside . I hear there are now over 1500 of them .

The full faith and credit of the USG. And if you don't like that, taxation authority over the largest economy in the world (quite literally at the point of a gun if they decide to arrest you on tax charges).

+1, that's worth a lot. And remember, the folks that want to sell you bitcoin will only accept your outdated USD or other hard currency!

Its kind of like the gold adds on the TV and Radio. "Your dollars are only paper assets, they are depreciating, debt is skyrocketing, your dollars will be worthless. Send us your dollars and we will send you gold!"

Duh 22 tril in debt and 83 tril in unfunded. what good faith?

Bitcoin is backed by:

• The full power and faith of a handful programmers
  • The full power and faith of a handful mining pools, almost all located in China

Good luck.

What:confused:

I recieved an e-mail in my SPAM folder relating to Bitcoin trades (I think). Does anyone understand the message below (Quoted by me):

"Ethereum Network Congestion Forces Exchanges to Halt Withdrawals"

Scaling problems that have been sporadically affecting the Ethereum network have resurfaced. While bulls and bears were battling it out in the markets, the Ethereum blockchain was fighting to restore some semblance of normal service. The congestion forced a number of exchanges to halt withdrawals, with one going so far as to advise customers to use a different cryptocurrency.
Ethereum Enters the Slow Lane

Over the last couple of months, the Ethereum network has reported record activity, peaking at over one million transactions a day. This growth has come at a price in the form of slow or backlogged transactions, causing fees to reach record highs and ICO participants to miss out on token sales after failing to push their ether through in time. On Wednesday January 17, two exchanges reported ethereum withdrawal issues that were affecting users.

First up was Bitstamp, which noted that there were ETH withdrawal delays, before updating the situation four hours later to say the matter had been resolved. Users of Kucoin exchange have been more significantly affected on account of ethereum withdrawal delays that have dragged on for days. The exchange posted the following notice on Wednesday, including a novel suggestion: that users withdraw in neo instead of ether. This suggestion is unlikely to have been of much help to users who needed their ETH to interact with the ethereum ecosystem.

More Gas, More Money, More Problems

Following the notice, Kucoin followed up with a blog post containing a form to be filled in by users who were still waiting for their ethereum withdrawals to be processed. A week prior, the exchange had explained that ETH withdrawals were subject to delays as they were being released at four-hour intervals. Not everyone has been convinced by Kucoin’s decision to lay the blame on the Ethereum network though, with some users pointing out that the exchange’s ETH withdrawal fees are five times higher than on other sites, which seem to be processing transactions just fine.

What is beyond dispute is that numerous exchanges have encountered similar problems of late, with Bittrex reporting only a week ago: “Due to incredibly high gas prices, we’re preventing new ETH and asset deposit addresses from being created. Existing deposit addresses will work as normal.”

Eth Gas Station currently reports fast transactions as requiring 51 gwei, or around $0.93 to process. The web is awash with crypto projects promising that their new blockchain can handle a gazillion transactions a second. The reality, however, is that if these networks were ever to be stress tested in the wild like Ethereum or Bitcoin, they would face the exact same same problems. Scaling blockchains while preserving decentralization is even harder than it sounds.

Does anyone understand the message below (Quoted by me):

Looks straightforward to me - they had a bad flux capacitor, causing the coin slot to jam. Once that was replaced and the particle accelerator was rebooted, the blockchain will once again accept both coins and bills.

I suspect they had to either kick it or rock it back and forth a few times after the reboot, but it is working!

Last edited:
Looks straightforward to me - they had a bad flux capacitor, causing the coin slot to jam. Once that was replaced and the particle accelerator was rebooted, the blockchain will once again accept both coins and bills.

I suspect they had to either kick it or rock it back and forth a few times after the reboot, but it is working!
''

Got it! Thanks....I must have had a brain fart first time through.:facepalm:

Aja888 - both Bitcoin and Ethereum transactions are tracked on public ledgers called blockchains. The blockchains are maintained in a distributed peer to peer network - think Napster from years ago. Unfortunately, the blockchain networks don’t scale for high volume traffic so when things heat up there isn’t sufficient capacity to handle the traffic. Other crypto currencies run on alternate platforms that may or may not scale well. They are all very speculative.

+1, that's worth a lot. And remember, the folks that want to sell you bitcoin will only accept your outdated USD or other hard currency!

Its kind of like the gold adds on the TV and Radio. "Your dollars are only paper assets, they are depreciating, debt is skyrocketing, your dollars will be worthless. Send us your dollars and we will send you gold!"

Yes and people with a lot more money than anybody on this forum are still loaning money to the USG for 30 years at less than 3%, so there's that.

Aja888 - both Bitcoin and Ethereum transactions are tracked on public ledgers called blockchains. The blockchains are maintained in a distributed peer to peer network - think Napster from years ago. Unfortunately, the blockchain networks don’t scale for high volume traffic so when things heat up there isn’t sufficient capacity to handle the traffic. Other crypto currencies run on alternate platforms that may or may not scale well. They are all very speculative.

Yes, thanks. After reading what was e-mailed to me and ended up in my SPAM folder, I can see the craziness about this form of gambling.

It must be frustrating to try to sell your "digital unit" and be told the redemption traffic is too high and, oh, by the way, the selling fees are going to be 5X what they estimated. Sounds like fun!

CompuServe was displaced by AOL. Man, I wish I had bought me some of that AOL. Just think where I would be today!

I know someone who worked for AOL and made a ****load of money on options. She was lucky enough to be forced to sell all of her stock options when she left to spend time with her young children. Timing is everything.

There were plenty of people who thought that Apple would be forced out of business when I bought it in October 2000. I still own (most of it) today. They were losing money and losing market share, and with a few "AOL like" decisions might be out of business today. What I am trying to say here is that it is easy to be smug about things (and I see a lot of those kinds of posts on this thread), yet none of us know what the future will bring. That's why diversification is so critical along with asset allocation. Even with that, we might (or might not) be on the cusp of October 1929.

Must admit, the word "Bitcoin" does sound cool.

But no way would I invest in it.

Duhhhhhhhh , Bitcoin is a pyramid , if you got in early and get out quick you will do fine .
It's not enough like a pyramid scheme for me to call it a pyramid. Let's call it pyramidish in certain ways.

Yes and people with a lot more money than anybody on this forum are still loaning money to the USG for 30 years at less than 3%, so there's that.
Word.

Back
Top Bottom