Join Early Retirement Today

Holy moly! I hit the lotto! (sort of)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holy moly! I hit the lotto! (sort of)

Those of you may remember I was discussing Endocyte and if there was a way to take control of them when they were trading at $1.20 a share and had $2.77 in cash on hand.

I didn't pursue it any more than just buying 40,000 shares.

Today I wake up and the stock is $2.69 and going up. My account shows daily gain of $55,600.

Last time Endocyte had a phase 3 drug they skyrocketed to $30 a share.

Do the math!

I am going to be in trouble with my subsidized ACA...
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

Take your original amount off the table with some profit and let the rest ride. Of course if you think it's really going to $30, maybe dollar cost average out of it for a little while.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I sold 10,000 shares at $2.68 this morning which gives me exactly what I need to meet my ACA magi this year (no IRA conversions will be needed). I am letting the rest ride. I imagine I will have some regret later this week when it is $6 a share.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That is really exciting. I hope you get your $30 a share!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There is also the issue of the mysterious financial agreement that the SEC has ruled for secrecy purposes does not have to be revealed to the public. Would be interesting to know what is in that and perhaps that is why management has been funding the corp
So now we know 13 million in cash and 6 million shares (1/7th of the company) in exchange for a purchase of a Phase III prostate cancer drug -- it is the definition of a corporate lotto ticket and investors appear to want in! Basically Endocyte says they are winding out of all their other drugs to focus on this one drug.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chart looks so similar to a pipeline I was following a few years ago for a cancer vaccine that had signs of effectively reducing recurrence by 50% in breast cancer survivors... I wanted to see them succeed for so many reasons. It was a fun one to track.

They are a wild ride... but if you invest intelligently (see unemotionally) you can really make a lot off of these. Through a series of selling above $2.50 and buying under $1.50 over and over (it seemed to cycle over a few years between those ranges) I managed to get my holdings up to 50,000 shares. Near the end of their Phase III trials and talks of it headed to $35... it was valued around $2.70 and slowly inching up as the date approached. Then overnight it sunk to $0.24 when the results for Phase III barely missed what they needed.

I was able to get out what I initially put in, but it was a sore morning seeing so much realized potential evaporate overnight.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Maybe sold that 10,000 shares too early. The stock went up another $0.50 and is now around $3.30.

I am looking at some pretty big gains on the remaining 30k shares. Maybe at $10 a share I can go Wheeee!?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ack, it is closing at $3.70+!

If I had not had internet access today I would have made another $12,000 by not selling some shares.

I have never been in a rocket ship like this before. Fun! I can see this getting addicting.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I sold 10,000 shares at $2.68 this morning which gives me exactly what I need to meet my ACA magi this year (no IRA conversions will be needed). I am letting the rest ride. I imagine I will have some regret later this week when it is $6 a share.
1- I never heard of this stock
2- I think you win the best stock pick of the year
3- I understand not wanting to lose ACA subsidies, but how does one evaluate
maximize earnings vs loss of ACA help. I dont use the ACA so I dont know
the ins and outs, but one would think If I get 10k a year in subsidies and I
can earn 15K with a few clicks of the mouse I would take the 15 and pay
taxes I would be a winner.

Again you hit the lotto , I bet a lot of research went into it, and you found a winner. congrats with the other 30k shares, I hope it goes thru the roof,I like success stories. If i bought 1 share it would tank so I wont touch it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

$4.37 in after-hours trading! Zowie!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Now to play devils advocate, I have been giving this situation some thought. You sold a certain amount of stock to stay below the ACA limits. Had you not worried about losing the ACA you might have sold more. Thus have ACA subsidies in your case might have earned you a bunch more.

Either way its a home run, picking a winner like this is what dreams are made of.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Chart looks so similar to a pipeline I was following a few years ago for a cancer vaccine that had signs of effectively reducing recurrence by 50% in breast cancer survivors... I wanted to see them succeed for so many reasons. It was a fun one to track.

They are a wild ride... but if you invest intelligently (see unemotionally) you can really make a lot off of these. Through a series of selling above $2.50 and buying under $1.50 over and over (it seemed to cycle over a few years between those ranges) I managed to get my holdings up to 50,000 shares. Near the end of their Phase III trials and talks of it headed to $35... it was valued around $2.70 and slowly inching up as the date approached. Then overnight it sunk to $0.24 when the results for Phase III barely missed what they needed.

I was able to get out what I initially put in, but it was a sore morning seeing so much realized potential evaporate overnight.
You took a shot to make it big, I like that idea. I rode things into bankruptcy trying to hit it big. But at least we tried.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

WOW! I hope it gets to $30 for you.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Sweet move! Tell us about some other stocks you like.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

Great news!
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

Wow! Happy for you. Hope it keeps going up.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
Sweet move! Tell us about some other stocks you like.
Hah! I would not suggest that I am some stock guru now. I just got lucky although I have been following this stock for quite some time and posted several threads about it.

That being said, I did get an private message from a ER.org member who saw my posts and bought 15k shares and booked a $12,000 profit today. I keep her/his name anonymous but I was shocked that someone would do something like that. I am very glad it worked out well and told them to buy themselves a steak dinner!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

And I wasn't the anonymous poster. I will just live vicariously through your trades. Congrats!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Hah! I would not suggest that I am some stock guru now. I just got lucky although I have been following this stock for quite some time and posted several threads about it.
Well, I'd credit you with more than dumb luck. I personally don't have the patience or attention span to analyze a 10K even for a viable company, much less one that becomes a 'penny stock'.

However, I love to pick up on the sage wisdom from those who spot opportunities in otherwise risky situations.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The one thing that I will ask if how many others like this have you bought that you lost money on?

I am happy for you this is hitting, but if you are like someone who gambles they just talk about their winnings and do not mention all the losses.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote