Join Early Retirement Today

how to contain high yield bond risks?
Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how to contain high yield bond risks?

I've never fished off the high yield bond pier before.

With yields so repressed/compressed by the central banks, one has to go all the way down to BBB rated bonds to get any sort of risk differential rate vs. CDs. The higher yielding BBB's appear to be crowded with emerging market companies or the credit/leasing arms of car companies (not the car companies themselves). By the time you scroll past those bonds the yields are right back down to just above CD-like yields on one step above junk rated bonds. A good chunk of BBB bonds (bottom end of investment grade) are reportedly one hiccup away from dropping to junk or should be ranked as junk now... cheap rates are the only thing keeping some of the zombies going.

That puts me into high yield as the only bond option that yields more than a CD. Heck of a state of affairs when you go from FDIC insured all the way down to junk ratings 26% default rates with only 1-1.5% rate differences (but dissimilar durations) to compensate for the risk.

To contain high yield risk, I was thinking of dipping into the very very short duration end of the pool. Durations of nothing over a year and probably less. And maybe only 3-5% of the portfolio.

Concept: Small (2-3) mix of maybe 2/3 BB/B and maybe 1/3 CCC of preferably household name secondary market corporate bonds with durations of 9ish months.

A current example might look like:
1/3 of $ JC Penney CCC 5.255% YTM matures 10/01/2019 (yikes! but it becomes a will it be bankrupt in 6 months?... side note: the 2020 bond is at 13+%!!)
2/3 of $ Lennar BB 3.466% YTM matures 11/15/2019
average maturity 0.58 years
Average Estimated Yield 5.748 per Fidelity bond tool

An alternative would be HY funds like
FSAHX Short duration high income fund 1.76 year duration, 2.3x longer than I was thinking.
SPHIX High income fund 3.5 years duration

So would very short durations be enough risk containment to get a riskophobe to nibble on junk bonds?
Assuming you do a little homework before buying a CCC, how short is short enough duration to reasonably expect see the straw that breaks the back of an already sick camel (another rating downgrade, etc)?
Are there other ways to contain high yield bond risk?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I own a bunch of individuals bonds, but I don’t even attempt to walk the fine line with individual junk bonds. They are one of the few asset classes where I use a mutual fund. ARTFX is what I use and it’s only 4% of my bond holdings.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I avoid high yield risk by completely avoiding junk bonds.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree, tough to get bond yields with any return without higher risk. My solution is to just use bond funds and not individual bonds, to spread the risk out. Plus i do not have the time or desire to want to do the detailed investigation for individual bonds. I'll pay the fees of the bond fund to offset some of the potential returns to let the people that have expertise on this area do it for me.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Simply put, junk does not offer enough compensation for the risk right now. We are late on the credit cycle, leverage levels are high, covenants are weak, and spreads are low. I made a living as a junk bond analyst for several years and I will tell you that the junk market is prone to excesses of optimism and pessimism. I am only ever interested in buying and owning this asset class when the excess is on the pessimistic side. For me that is generally index spreads of 800+BP. The index is about half that.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote