Join Early Retirement Today

How to sell individual Municipals and Preferred stock
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How to sell individual Municipals and Preferred stock

Hello,

An elderly relative recently died and left a portfolio of ny municipal bonds and preferred stocks. They are held by a few large brokerages. I'm helping the executor settle the estate.

I looked at the trading volumes on these securities and they are very low. We would like to sell in a way that maximizes the value.

The executor called one of the brokerages and asked them what the commission will be to liquidate the bonds. The broker said there are no commissions and that the securities are very liquid. I'm concerned that if we just tell the broker to liquidate that we will end up selling at terms that aren't favorable. What's the best way to handle this? Can we negotiate terms with the brokers?

Thanks.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Brokers are sneaky. There may be no explicit commisions, but they make their money from the bid/ask spread, and that can vary widely. Ask them what the spead is, and they *might* tell you. You can try shopping around, but it would entail transfering the assets in-kind to another brokerage and the price/yield could change while you wait.

Volumes are generally low on individual issues, but the market is efficient and prices are a function of current yield.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

Thanks Twaddle. I'll ask about that.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

pfd stocks usually trade on the market and you can sell them just like a stock. For munis sold retail expect to take a1-4% haircut on the sale. This will be in the form of a spread not commission.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

We ended up transferring the most bonds and preferreds over to Schwab. The full service brokers' bond mark-up was around 1/4 - 3/4 %. Schwab claims a fixed free of 1/10th + $25. I was able to verify that they charged this fee if the bonds were sold immediately (Investing In Bonds). There's no telling what they mark up if they take the bonds into their inventory but I'm confident it's better than the full service brokers. In any case I was satisfied with Schwab. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the follow up. I've got most of my mom's assets consolidated between Schwab and Vanguard,. For the remain I was a little apprehensive about try to transfer assets when you are the executor.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote