Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the feedback, Brewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Seems like a reasonable strategy. On the sovereigns, just make sure you stick with top shelf credits (AA or better) and you should be fine. I haven't honestly looked at the world bank, etc., but I guess I would pay attention to who the guarantor is and what the entity's credit profile is. I'd probably be comfier with the State Bank of Bavaria and some of the Landesbanks than the ADB or the world bank, personally. I tend to view the Federal Home Loan Bank as equivalent to the US govt, but with a smidge higher yield.
As far as I can tell, the guarantor for the World Bank is the governments of the developed nations that support it. Though maybe it is more like a Fannie Mae type of thing, and there is no explicit guarantee after all. But they have never defaulted on a bond so far.

BTW, I think the State Bank of Bavaria to which I referred is in fact the Bayerische Landesbank.

Quote:
When the credit markets crack (and they will), be ready to buy some corporates. They will become a very attractive deal at some point.
Would you be willing to give a heads-up when that becomes the case?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the OP was refering to someone on Wall St. (urbun legend perhaps) who sold everything just before the crash of 29 because the elevator boy gave him a stock tip. If (primarily) indexors are picking individual stocks then the markets are irrational.

Was that tour point OP?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Brewer.
Would you be willing to give a heads-up when that becomes the case?
Sure, but I think you will know when it happens. Since a lot of equity market upswing is being driven by LBOs, a crack in the credit markets will likely reverberate into the equity markets.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #24

As I was saying ...
Old 08-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #25

No elevator boy in your building?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew we hit the top when I decided to take that 90k sitting in cash and put it into play....