Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Because other industries pollute doesn't excuse what the oil industry may be doing.

I doubt that was his point. But everything we do has consequences. And we need to weigh those in relative terms, and improve where we can. But 'zero' ain't gonna happen.

Like he mentioned earlier, some groups oppose pipelines, but the alternatives could be much worse. So what do they accomplish? It becomes counter-productive to oppose everything.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Because other industries pollute doesn't excuse what the oil industry may be doing.

I'm just surprised that with so much money involved, people don't sue over these incidents.

Could be that local politicians are running interference to head off these suits.
Correct, no excuses, just showing "partners in pollution".

People do sue.

Yes on the last point. They probably get free gasoline also.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Would Keystone pipeline carry oil from the Bakken or only from Canada?

Yeah I've heard of trains exploding, catching on fire, carrying crude.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Keystone XL Pipeline Maps and Information | Keystone XL Pipeline

Quote:
Along with transporting crude oil from Canada, the Keystone XL Pipeline will also support the significant growth of crude oil production in the United States from producers in the Bakken region of Montana and North Dakota.

This pipeline will allow Canadian and American oil producers more access to the large refining markets found in the American Midwest and along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah I've heard of trains exploding, catching on fire, carrying crude.
IMO, Keystone is chiefly for Canadian producers. If you want to see an environmental nightmare, google tar sands oil production. I never understood why it was in our interest to build Keystone, let alone through the Ogalalla aquifer. IMO, the Canuckistani can build their own pipeline to their Pacific Coast.

Other pipelines should be built since it is the safest, least polluting way to transport the stuff that every single one of us uses.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
IMO, Keystone is chiefly for Canadian producers. If you want to see an environmental nightmare, google tar sands oil production. I never understood why it was in our interest to build Keystone, let alone through the Ogalalla aquifer. IMO, the Canuckistani can build their own pipeline to their Pacific Coast.

Other pipelines should be built since it is the safest, least polluting way to transport the stuff that every single one of us uses.
The Keystone is additional capacity out of the tar sands region of Alberta. Enbridge already has a pipeline to it's terminal in Superior, Wisconsin that distributes about 15% of all U.S. crude imports passing through it. Superior distributes the crude east towards Ontario and New York and South via a turned around line (Spearhead (1950's built)) to Cushing. Enbridge also owns and operates the Cushing terminal.

The Keystone line is for additional Canadian crude and Bakken supplies to go south (Texas refineries) and also to feed refineries in Wood River, Ill and Patoka.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #287
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I'd add that the more obvious dumb messes from the oil industry these days all seem to be from transporting the stuff on rail cars, especially the very light condensate.

Even the oil with lower vapor pressure (meeting new, proposed standards) and in newer rail cars, catches fire in a derailment. Just not as spectacularly, perhaps.

Company says oil on derailed train met new ND rules | INFORUM

-CC
Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I predict we will see oil at ~$40/bl in the next 8 months, with maybe a very brief but dramatic crash into the 20's or 30's. I think there will be a story about a tanker driving in circles looking for a port to offload, or some such type event to crystallize the growing over supply building up. My bet is oil dependent countries are hurting for revenue, are going to continue to overproduce all they can to make of for the low price, exacerbate the oversupply, and in the end some government/region will be perceived as unstable, maybe a few small wars to disrupt supply and correct back to the 50's.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
I predict we will see oil at ~$40/bl in the next 8 months, with maybe a very brief but dramatic crash into the 20's or 30's. I think there will be a story about a tanker driving in circles looking for a port to offload, or some such type event to crystallize the growing over supply building up. My bet is oil dependent countries are hurting for revenue, are going to continue to overproduce all they can to make of for the low price, exacerbate the oversupply, and in the end some government/region will be perceived as unstable, maybe a few small wars to disrupt supply and correct back to the 50's.
If oil prices go into steep contango traders intentionally charter tankers to load up and just sit there offshore. They sell forward to lock in a guaranteed profit. So they don't aimlessly circle.

At $40 or below there is basically no drilling that will happen. Can the Saudis supply the whole world? I don't think so.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you really think oil (WTC) will get back below $50 again this year? I guess your answer is yes.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #291

Predicting the future price of oil is the definition of being out on a limb.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #292
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I predict....

crystal_ball.JPG

I think I need a nap now.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #293

This is a good article on the what's going on with Shale in response to the Saudi decision to keep pumping oil at full speed.

Saudis' Drive To Kill U.S. Shale Has Backfired - Investors.com
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #294

I'n thinking opec is going to up the ante again, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'n thinking opec is going to up the ante again, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Beside wanting to kill the U.S. shale production (which was not accomplished), the Saudi's wanted to squeeze Russia, Iran and Venezuela, which it is not clear that it has happened.

The Saudi's also have a bit of a problem on their own, and it's called reservior depletion. The big fields are in water lift (enhanced recovery) and there are no new fields to pick up the slack. They also don't have the technology (yet) to go into a new drilling program to run horizontals and frac with new technology.

It's a mess, the global oil market.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #296
Give me a forum ...

So share production is still at the same levels before the oil price drops?

Didn't the oil industry shed a lot of the jobs associated with that production over the past several months?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Didn't the oil industry shed a lot of the jobs associated with that production over the past several months?
Currently, the U.S. is producing about 9.66 million barrels per day of crude oil. This is a bit more than when the prices dropped. This production is from current complted and operating wells. What stopped, was new drilling. We are also importing crude oil to supplement our daily needs, mostly from Canada, Saudi Arabia and Mexico (and 20 other countries).

The jobs lost were from future drilling and production. We still need oil, and we still will drill some to maintain levels.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #298

Major oil players joining up to ask for global carbon price:

Shell, BP, Total Among Companies Calling For Carbon Pricing

Trying to get ahead of the curve, smart.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #299

Quote:

There have also been tremendous efficiency gains. "Long term" (3-5 year) learning curve type gains. Shorter term operational gains.

One example is 3 years ago it took 3 months to drill, develop and complete a well. Now, best case is maybe 12 working days to drill? More fracking stages in the same/similar amount of time. Etc. Summary of all this is less workers, from more efficiency.

http://www.dtcenergygroup.com/bakken...letion-trends/

-CC
I'm not sure I like oil anymore...
Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #300
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure I like oil anymore...

...but the dividends are still there and I can't lose much more if I hang on for a while.