Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know all of it either but I am not sure SDLP has guaranteed anything related to NADL. JF will probably come out ok like he always does.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #822
Give me a forum ...

No wonder I keep my investments simple... Oil down today, so I thought about having a little fun. Instead of playing with companies just bet on the price of oil, with an oil fund. Well that wont work either. Certain ones involve K-1 forms, give me a break, I am not dealing with that for a small bet... Ok, now I found ETN's... Im thinking ok, these have traditional cap gains and losses, though there is risk in underlying issuing company going bankrupt. So, I can accept that risk except now I read these notes aren't truly tracking oil, and the underlying value of the oil is considerably less than the inflated trade price. Meaning, I assume too many people are thinking like me. Well so much for this idea.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #823
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Oil down today, so I thought about having a little fun. Instead of playing with companies just bet on the price of oil, with an oil fund.
You may be right. Today is looking like it could be a day to bet on black (oil) and hope it doesn't keep hitting red (losses) too long. YMMV, a lot.....
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #824
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
You may be right. Today is looking like it could be a day to bet on black (oil) and hope it doesn't keep hitting red (losses) too long. YMMV, a lot.....

I was thinking that, but no way am I betting on a "stock" that the underlying asset isn't even related to the price you are buying at. And messing with a K-1 over a 10k bet isnt worth it to me.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #825
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
I was thinking that, but no way am I betting on a "stock" that the underlying asset isn't even related to the price you are buying at. And messing with a K-1 over a 10k bet isnt worth it to me.

That's good sense. If you are uncomfortable with the risks of commodities, you should stay away. Always stay within one's limits.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Agree with that. No way I'm buying (or betting) on any stock, that I feel does not have the fundamentals/valuation to back it, even if it is for the short term. The last time I did that was with a company called Enron.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #827

Looks like MLPL is back... if anyone wants to use 2x leverage on the AMLP index...

MLPL Reborn? - ETRACS 2xMonthly Leveraged Alerian MLP Infrastructure Index ETN Series B (NYSEARCA:MLPQ) | Seeking Alpha
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
That's good sense. If you are uncomfortable with the risks of commodities, you should stay away. Always stay within one's limits.

I was just dumb enough to think I could actually buy a true oil price equivalent "stock" without a K-1. Apparently doesn't exist. And I dont have an oil storage facility at my house to take physical possession.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Agree with that. No way I'm buying (or betting) on any stock, that I feel does not have the fundamentals/valuation to back it, even if it is for the short term. The last time I did that was with a company called Enron.

And I guess it is good I am not. Vanguard site is down...This is the ultimate crap brokerage. My other brokerage is full of issues I wont sell. I swear if I wasn't so lazy and didn't want to mess with it I would close it down.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #830

Mulligan, I use vanguard too for brokerage. I agree they have issues. I use them only because my Roth IRA is there and I like to consolidate accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #831
Give me a forum ...

There have been some major Internet outages on East coast today. May have affected the processing of transactions.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #832
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
Mulligan, I use vanguard too for brokerage. I agree they have issues. I use them only because my Roth IRA is there and I like to consolidate accounts.

They have benefited way too much from the "Boglehead Way". Certainly nothing wrong with the Boglehead philosophy, but it can be used just as easily at Schwab and Fido, too. Or they could at least issue a disclaimer about their subpar online brokerage services and say "just buy our mutual funds".

Old 02-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #833

Who knows if this is true or not but supposedly OPEC is now ready to cooperate with each other and cut back on production slightly. From what I understand they would only need to cut back by 5% for the overproduction to go away and the price to spike up.

Oil futures bounce on report of OPEC cut

Here is another article about someone making a massive bet on the MLP sector today.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/11/trade...y-rebound.html
Old 02-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #834
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well at 8 AMLP is certainly not overpriced unless the MLP space is set to disappear, which while unlikely is possible. I would be more willing to buy if oil was at $20.00 but $26 is fairly close. I would also expect 50% dividend cuts but that would still leave 7.5% interest. overall a tepid not a terrible investment here...

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #835
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Well at 8 AMLP is certainly not overpriced unless the MLP space is set to disappear, which while unlikely is possible. I would be more willing to buy if oil was at $20.00 but $26 is fairly close. I would also expect 50% dividend cuts but that would still leave 7.5% interest. overall a tepid not a terrible investment here...

You and ESR are tempting me to throw 10 Bones on AMLP, since I couldnt find a true oil fund to bet on...

Old 02-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #836

This article has some good data on AMLP.

All Aboard! The Bottom In MLPs Is In | Seeking Alpha

"I looked at the holdings of AMLP to see which underlying companies have increased, maintained, or cut their dividends. As you can see in the table below, 10 of the 22 holdings increased their dividend compared to the fourth quarter of 2015. Those components that increased their dividend account for 52.50% AMLP's of assets. In addition, the only stock not to have declared its first-quarter dividend was Buckeye Partners (NYSE:BPL) -- if they increase their dividend, that will push that 52.50% up to 60.81% of AMLP's assets that have increased their dividend."

P.S. BPL did raise today. That means 60.81% raised, the others have stayed flat. No cuts for Q-1.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #837

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
"I looked at the holdings of AMLP to see which underlying companies have increased, maintained, or cut their dividends. As you can see in the table below, 10 of the 22 holdings increased their dividend compared to the fourth quarter of 2015. Those components that increased their dividend account for 52.50% AMLP's of assets.
I'm also pleased to see that 5 of my 7 individual MLP holdings are on that list and have increased their dividends. Particularly pleased with EPD, my largest single holding at just over 6500 shares.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #838
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Who knows if this is true or not but supposedly OPEC is now ready to cooperate with each other and cut back on production slightly. From what I understand they would only need to cut back by 5% for the overproduction to go away and the price to spike up.

Oil futures bounce on report of OPEC cut

Here is another article about someone making a massive bet on the MLP sector today.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/11/trade...y-rebound.html

Massive incentive to cheat. Game theory had predicted decades ago that the cartel couldn't last. Game theory ad to be updated :-). But current events are bringing the game into a situation where it may finally be breaking down into a prisoner's dilemma.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #839
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Massive incentive to cheat. Game theory had predicted decades ago that the cartel couldn't last. Game theory ad to be updated :-). But current events are bringing the game into a situation where it may finally be breaking down into a prisoner's dilemma.

It's at the point in the oil business that all producers need the price to be higher and that may create a self policing atmosphere where cheating on producing quotas may not be desirable for anyone.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #840
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's at the point in the oil business that all producers need the price to be higher and that may create a self policing atmosphere where cheating on producing quotas may not be desirable for anyone.
Yes
But it's perfectly possible to cut a pizza into enough slices that everyone starves .

I think the airline industry as a whole since inception is value destructive (I.e. all money invested by all airlines has returned below 0%).

I think auto is like that too.

I don't think oil is and I don't think it will be mostly because it's used up faster than it can be made. But until many companies go under I think we'll see a lot of up and down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote