Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #1061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've been telling myself for months that I'd quit swing trading CVX and XOM and start buying and holding them once they fall below a certain range. (for me that's 97 for CVX and 82 for XOM). Well they are both just about there. I'm hesitant but suspect I'll start buying and holding both of these pretty soon in small chunks, on down days, and DCA if they keep falling.

Any others considering big oil at these prices and world conditions?
After my last attempt at buying an individual oil stock at what I thought was a good price, I am done with individual stocks. The market is too unpredictable and volatile. I'll stick with index funds and maybe 1 or 2 vanguard mutual funds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #1062

Remember in this thread when we sort of liked Seadrill? I just noticed today it is $2

Wow.

Oil seems to be dead.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Remember in this thread when we sort of liked Seadrill? I just noticed today it is $2

Wow.

Oil seems to be dead.
I never like Seadrill(SRDL) but I really liked Seadrill Partners(SDLP) and bought many thousands of shares at $5+ and it's now barely above $3. Ouch!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #1064
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
After my last attempt at buying an individual oil stock at what I thought was a good price, I am done with individual stocks. The market is too unpredictable and volatile. I'll stick with index funds and maybe 1 or 2 vanguard mutual funds.
Maybe a good idea for you, but I want to point out that the problem you explained in another thread wasn't that you were trading individual stocks, but that you bet the house on a single stock. Even in individual stock trading it's better to have a little diversification. I've got about 20 stocks in my gambling portfolio. So even though my SDLP is down 50%, my overall portfolio is up quite nicely.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Wow.

Oil seems to be dead.
Stay away from ANY oil services stock (onshore or offshore services). Until crude and natural gas prices go up, and stay up, these firms are going to be scrambling to stay in business. The only individual stock I would consider owning (long term) is ExxonMobil and that will be when it goes back to the low $70's or lower and does not cut the dividend.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #1066

Coincidentally, I read speculation that if the election goes a certain way, federal leases for on and offshore drilling could be really opened up.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Coincidentally, I read speculation that if the election goes a certain way, federal leases for on and offshore drilling could be really opened up.
The last round of offshore lease sales went badly for the gov - no buyers. Too expensive to drill offshore. That's the bottom line.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #1068

I thought some states had offshore drilling bans for years.

For instance CA in the '90s and FL in the 2000s.

But this was all before fracking and horizontal drilling techniques became refined.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #1069

Quote:
I thought some states had offshore drilling bans for years.

For instance CA in the '90s and FL in the 2000s.

But this was all before fracking and horizontal drilling techniques became refined.

Correct, and they still do have bans. Opening up leases offshore won't do much good if there are few companies that can produce profitably. In addition, there are over 1,300 wells drilled onshore that are shut in waiting for completion and could be brought into production within a quick time frame.

Wells have been fracced since the early days of drilling (1940's and before). It's nothing new but there are much better methods and we can now frac long horizontal legs of wells, in which that technology wan't available over 10 years ago.

What is new is the shale play advances, better fraccing techniques, better downhole tooling, reliable and accurate 3D sismic tools, horizontal and directional drilling accuracy, etc. It's all mostly been available, but advancements in technology across the board have made finding and producing hydrocarbons more productive.

We still need to drill new wells in the U.S. to replace what's being sold here, but because of pricing, offshore makes no economic sense right now, leases or no leases.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #1070

Quote:
I've been telling myself for months that I'd quit swing trading CVX and XOM and start buying and holding them once they fall below a certain range. (for me that's 97 for CVX and 82 for XOM). Well they are both just about there. I'm hesitant but suspect I'll start buying and holding both of these pretty soon in small chunks, on down days, and DCA if they keep falling.

Any others considering big oil at these prices and world conditions?
Well that was pure luck. XOM dropped to the mid 82 range yesterday so I picked up 1000 shares and was prepared to buy more as it dropped. Well today it jumped to over 87 at one point and I just couldn't resist. Missed the bottom yesterday and the top today by a little but not too bad.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #1071

CNBC app. on my iPhone flashed a notification about an OPEC deal, which made oil futures go up. That was around 11:30 AM PST.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #1072

Quote:
CNBC app. on my iPhone flashed a notification about an OPEC deal, which made oil futures go up. That was around 11:30 AM PST.
That's what did it. Held til near the market close today. Time will tell if I should have held but I can't kick too much on a 24 hour flip like that.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #1073

Quote:
That's what did it. Held til near the market close today. Time will tell if I should have held but I can't kick too much on a 24 hour flip like that.
You could call that Sweet Crude
Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #1074
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that CVX, RDS, XOM, etc are valuable, high dividend paying stocks to keep. The world is still running on NG and Oil. Hopefully the price has stabilized.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You could call that Sweet Crude
Old 10-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #1076
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me too. I had good stocks. They are still good stocks but a whole lot cheaper than when I bought them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #1077
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Me too. I had good stocks. They are still good stocks but a whole lot cheaper than when I bought them.
Me too, but I'll just take a nap and at some point they'll be higher again. One thing I know is that I can't predict when.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #1078
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
For decades I had my 401K in mutual funds, not anymore. What I noticed that if Market goes up 10% my funds were up 5 to 8%. Yet when Market was down 10%, my funds were down 12 - 15%. I also can not state that I am good in picking individual stocks.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
For decades I had my 401K in mutual funds, not anymore. What I noticed that if Market goes up 10% my funds were up 5 to 8%. Yet when Market was down 10%, my funds were down 12 - 15%. I also can not state that I am good in picking individual stocks.
So what do you do?

-ERD50
Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #1080
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So what do you do?

-ERD50
I keep individual dividend paying stocks in pharmaceutical, REITs, oil. When some group going down, other gain, not equally. In regard to total gain the index funds are probably better yet dividends are part of our income and whenever my wife decides to retire we may add more to current dividend paying stocks, re balance our AA . I checked some dividend paying funds but somehow was not attracted to any. What would you recommend?