I own a lot of Apple... you probably do too

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was taking a look at my holdings from my many sources (401k, IRA, plain old investment accounts) and noticed that many of my funds have Apple as their #1 holding.

I mean, I think I must own a LOT of Apple. This concerns me a bit.

Of course, I do have some intentional other funds for diversity (REIT, foreign, specific non-tech sector, small cap), but my large holdings are still in funds that tend to have a lot of Apple.

Anyone else take a look at this? Concerned? Ever try to calculate it?

Last edited:
APPL is about 3.75% of S&P500. At most is could be 2.5% of our total portfolio. Too lazy to calculate it.

It does not concern me at all. But I regret not having bought individual shares at $94 last year.

My gut feel is for my next few purchases, I'm going to concentrate on anything other than big boy tech. Looks like my Alphabet holdings are right behind Apple. I work in tech too. Just too much exposure.

But I might get an iPhone as my next device to support my largest holding. :)

(Might be hard to do. I am not a fanboy.)

My gut feel is for my next few purchases, I'm going to concentrate on anything other than big boy tech. I work in the same area. Just too much exposure.

But I might get an iPhone as my next device to support my largest holding. :)

(Might be hard to do. I am not a fanboy.)
I am not a fanboy either. But I was many years ago. I still have the large black Apple bag that used to lug my trusty Mac SE around.

I don't see tech collapsing. When the meteor hits, it will not help, but not much else will, either.

I own a lot of BofA and WFC from all my different mutual funds. I 'diversified" by buying different funds at different times so not all my eggs in same basket. But when you look at it -they are still eggs.

APPL is about 3.75% of S&P500. At most is could be 2.5% of our total portfolio. Too lazy to calculate it.

It does not concern me at all. But I regret not having bought individual shares at $94 last year.

I closed my strike out at $96 last year... :D It's funny because I'm a PC. Never owned an ianything. not even the pod. I like to hack my devices and therefore APPL is not for me. The stock has treated me well though.

I made a lot of money on Apple stock.
Every time it got beaten down to the ground and people were wondering about its survival as a company, I bought as much as I could. Then I held it until it got so high it made me nervous and I sold it.

Several great cycles of that routine. Sold the last I had a few months ago, but very glad I still own a bunch in funds.

...I mean, I think I must own a LOT of Apple. This concerns me a bit...

Of course, I do have some intentional other funds for diversity (REIT, foreign, specific non-tech sector, small cap), but my large holdings are still in funds that tend to have a lot of Apple.

Anyone else take a look at this? Concerned? Ever try to calculate it?

Hard for me to be objective as AAPL is the reason I was able to ER. I had targeted my diversified 401k (no pension), to get me to a 62-65 retirement.

I had long had a taxable account (e*Trade) where I dabbled in stock picking. Then when APPL announced the move to Intel based Mac's (pre iPhone), went in big at $7 a share in today's split adjusted cost. Held for years until it grew to enough to bridge the gap before 401k/SS. With one year to go to age 57 RE, I starting taking the LT gains and diversifying. But at one point my APPL shares were 85% of my taxable account and maybe 25% of my net worth.

OK so what I'm hearing is I should double-down and also buy some individual AAPL. Then I can quit my OMY and really ER based on the massive returns.

:dance::LOL:

The point of MPT diversification is to diversify away individual stock risk in a portfolio, leaving only the market risk. Statisticians say that holding 50-60 stocks will do that. Any broad market mutual fund blows that number away, so there is no need to "diversify" using many funds unless you are buying super specialized/sector type funds and do not want the specialized market risk that they inherently provide.

So from that point of view, if APPL is in the 2% range in your portfolio Markowitz would probably tell you that there is nothing to worry about.

Never owned AAPL, other than what is in MFs and ETFs. But your mentioning of the price of $94 last year made me look up my record. And I saw that on 5/18/2016, I sold a cash-covered put for AAPL at $94, for $2.36 a share.

It never got down to $94, so that premium was all I got, instead of the more-than-$50 gain if I bought the stock. Oh well, another one that got away.

PS. Just looked up the price on 5/18/2016, and saw that the trading range was $94-95. I tried to get it a bit cheaper, and gave up a larger gain. Less risk, less reward, as always.

Last edited:
Well, AAPL is one of the few individual stocks I still own. I purchased a little under 1000 shares back when it was below $11. It's gotten a little better since then. ;)

I don't think tech in the way Apple does it is going to take a dive on it's own. And, I'm looking forward to the Apple car.
The Complete History of Apple Stock (AAPL)

_B

Not Apple. But a number of years ago I had a disproportionate amount of Hp and Hp options in our portfolio. It was causing me some concern.

We had engaged a new investment advisor. After reviewing our situation his strong advice was to 'protect' our early retirement, take the gains, and reduce our risk/exposure. It was the impetus that we needed to dispose of most of it. Turned out to be extremely fortuitous. It was just prior to the 2008/2009 challenges.

There are lots of good opportunities out there. For us, the trick since retirement has been to balance risk, fixed, equities, and exposure. As a broker/friend to me a long time ago....'pigs get slaughtered'.

We were heavily into AAPL and sold it all at $74 (average cost $8), then bought back half at $52 and still hold it. I agree with Buffett that it is a consumer goods stock, not a tech stock. It has become our second largest holding (out of 50).

We have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. But my Win7 laptop runs Chrome and we are big into Google as users. We love Chromecast for casting Netflix and Kodi material to the TVs.

I have Apple stock in many of my mutual funds but purchased 93 shares individually. I am in this long term and don't get worried when the stock drops since it always recovers nicely.

Yes I did and I sold some while it's at my highest yielding stock to date during my annual rebalancing.

Well, AAPL is one of the few individual stocks I still own. I purchased a little under 1000 shares back when it was below $11. It's gotten a little better since then. ;)

I don't think tech in the way Apple does it is going to take a dive on it's own. And, I'm looking forward to the Apple car.
The Complete History of Apple Stock (AAPL)

_B

Sweeeeet...... that would be roughly 1M , not counting dividends... :flowers:

"Now Berkshire's top holding, outstripping Wells Fargo. He considers it to be a consumer stock not tech"

definitely agree
Wish i had bought more during and just after the great recession. Still one of my best performers

Now that BRK has a lot of Apple, and probably many MFs and ETFs do also, that spares me the trouble of owning Apple individual shares. That, I have never done.

I just established a new position in Apple a week or two ago for 159.75. I received the dividend a few days afterwards and the rebound over the last 7 or 8 days grew another 13 or 14 points.

The monies that they will be bringing back into this country solidified my decision to own this company.

I

Approximately 5.5% of my assets are in Apple (individual stock holding). Bought a little in 2000 (cost basis $1.40, some (unfortunately) sold after the first split at about $40 ($5.70 in current terms, i.e. adjusted for subsequent 7 for 1 split). Half of that (i.e. 25% of original) bought back at $65.

Although it is above my 5% single stock limit, I have found it difficult to sell as I continue to love the fundamentals on the stock. I'd estimate with mutual fund inclusion I am about 6% exposed to it.

I have Apple stock in many of my mutual funds but purchased 93 shares individually. I am in this long term and don't get worried when the stock drops since it always recovers nicely.

Put on your big boy pants, buy 7 more shares, and have a round lot.

Back
Top Bottom