Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the posts. As mentioned above, I view DIS as a mutual fund without any fees, and they pay a dividend. They own the only sports network which just got exclusive rights to a college football playoff which will be bigger than the Super Bowl in my opinion. They are opening a Shanghai park which will service the worlds largest population and introduce them to their products. They own the most successful and profitable movie franchises ever made with new films on the horizon. I expect shares to hit 75$ this year and up to 95$ next year.

Prior to this move I had 300K in a diversified fund with a manger for the prior 2 years, made about 5-7% in a market which doubled during that time, and I paid him fees. No more of that.

So I moved it all to a Schwab account and did my due diligence. Bought 5500 shares of DIS and 15000 shares of CELGZ which should pay very well in the very near future. I think the best line I've ever heard is from Warren Buffett, "if you're going to take a swing, try to hit a home run". Since I'm still in my 40's with my finger on the sell button if things go down, then yes, I took a chance.

Good luck to you all, I'm hoping this thing continues to pay off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

And there is little to no competition for their products, unlike Netflix. I do have a sell stop in place to lock profits, but I doubt it will ever be needed.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

And also; I use Yahoo finance or google the Asian market news, which is reported around 9:30pm every night, to gauge what will happen in the morning with our markets, so far so good. If a crash is coming over night you will see it in Asia and in after hours trading news.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
But I'm laughing all the way to the bank so far, so neaww.
So, I assume you've sold out and banked your profits right? If not, you haven't actually made a dime (except for the dividends you've received, assuming you are not reinvesting dividends). Seen to many cases of riding all the way up and riding all the way
d
o
w
n
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
So, I assume you've sold out and banked your profits right? If not, you haven't actually made a dime (except for the dividends you've received, assuming you are not reinvesting dividends). Seen to many cases of riding all the way up and riding all the way
d
o
w
n
I don't think you read my post above, I have a sell stop, to make sure that does not happen. And I'm not a hog or a pig, whichever it is. I have no problem pulling the trigger to sell. I'd much rather regret less profit then regret a loss.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some people have made a fortune by investing primarily in one company. There are a couple of forum members here who did this through their employer. Not quite the same as they had stock options etc, but a concentrated portfolio nonetheless. I made some hefty bets in my early days and it seemed easy at times, but there were plenty of icebergs that got in the way too. I'm too old for all that. Not enough med's to ease the pain.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And also; I use Yahoo finance or google the Asian market news, which is reported around 9:30pm every night, to gauge what will happen in the morning with our markets, so far so good. If a crash is coming over night you will see it in Asia and in after hours trading news.
What good is that going to do you? If a "crash is coming", the stock will gap down at the open and you will get killed. The only thing watching Asia and pre market trading will do for you is you will see the bullet racing towards your head. You still wont be able to stop it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see this as all that bad. If you're young and can handle the risk of your investments getting chopped 50% why not aim for the stars. However if you're 40+ and saving for retirement, life already has enough risks and uncertainties and you don't need to add yet another one.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't think you read my post above, I have a sell stop, to make sure that does not happen. And I'm not a hog or a pig, whichever it is. I have no problem pulling the trigger to sell. I'd much rather regret less profit then regret a loss.

I am not sure how the sell stop going to help you. There are always gaps when stocks open for trading. And for a company like that, it is required that news is reported when market is not active.

But I see you point, and I did that.

I watched my $300K stock went down to less than $10K. And that was my major holding, 95% of my NW.

Then I rode another single stock many times back.

But do plan to lose your shirt. So consider that part of folio as funny money.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Nowadays, I sell my ESPP and stock options pretty much immediately to lock my gain.

My company stock went up 4 time since I joined 3 years ago.

I am leaving lots of $ on the table, and I am happy with that.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think the risk of losing 50% of DIS in a 24 hour period is minimal. If the stock were to drop even 15% I have the STOP/SELL order to lock gains, and I continually adjust it upward as the stock moves to continue holding onto gains. The after hour tradings give me an idea of what to expect, but the plan is already in place.

The market crash of 2007-2009 occurred over months/years. That, I think, is the only type of crash which will affect this stock, it's not like they have a patent expiring or competition. My only regret is leaving my money with that stupid fund prior to moving it to Schwab, when DIS was at 16$ a share.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the posts. As mentioned above, I view DIS as a mutual fund without any fees, and they pay a dividend.

Not even close to a mutual fund....

The market cap is only $121 bill.... and a small dividend... currently at 20X earnings...

As mentioned, you have done very well on your bet... and you talk about protecting your downside which is good.... but what you are doing is speculating, not investing... don't get me wrong, plenty of people have made plenty of money speculating... but it seems like you are fooling yourself into thinking you are investing....

But you have drank the cool-aid and nothing will change your mind....

Best of luck...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

More than half of my gains since 2000 have come from a single stock so I can't really fault you for doing what you're doing. But if you want to stay ahead, you better know when to cut and run. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do have a sell stop in place to lock profits, but I doubt it will ever be needed.
That is likely true. As we know, Disney stock has never gone down.

Go get 'em tiger!

Ha
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is true. Disney stock has never gone down.

Go get 'em tiger!

Ha

Words of wisdom...not...of course DIS has gone down previously, but I don't think their growth period is up yet. And if everyone would pay attention...I have a STOP/SELL to keep the gains. But I do enjoy the posts.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the posts. As mentioned above, I view DIS as a mutual fund without any fees,
You are, of course, entitled to your own views. And I hope you continue to prosper. But, I think viewing one stock as a mutual fund, be it Disney, GE, or whatever is a mistake. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.of course DIS has gone down previously, but I don't think their growth period is up yet. And if everyone would pay attention...I have a STOP/SELL to keep the gains. But I do enjoy the posts.
I hope to see your continued progress. But as you may or may not realize, the passage I quoted from your post is a non sequitur. As to your mandate that we pay attention, we have, we have.

Ha
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Damn.....a buddy of mine said "Mex telecom"....years ago....and it was as usual great (luckiest damn guy in the world, he could get arrested and come out ahead)......could have got in.....but no...got into things that lost me money instead....poop....just going to index and hope the world doesn't end....just so long as they don't stop making beer.....that would be horrible....and of course....if I lose control of my slice.....even worse.....
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I hope to see your continued progress. But as you may or may not realize, the passage I quoted from your post is a non sequitur. As to your mandate that we pay attention, we have, we have.

Ha
Sorry, not following what you're implying. And I think everyone, including you, understood exactly what I said...DIS is on a run currently which I'm riding until it's over. And NO I don't think you're the smartest kid in the room, but keep 'em coming.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, not following what you're implying. And I think everyone, including you, understood exactly what I said...DIS is on a run currently which I'm riding until it's over. And NO I don't think you're the smartest kid in the room, but keep 'em coming.
How about if we disagree with each other without becoming disagreeable?