Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #41

I keep thinking of our good forum guy VA Collector when I read stuff like this. Thank goodness for being able to learn from collective wisdom.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I keep thinking of our good forum guy VA Collector when I read stuff like this. Thank goodness for being able to learn from collective wisdom.
+1

Of course there is a huge difference between "being able" and actually doing so...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
But I'm laughing all the way to the bank so far, so neaww.
What type of discussion did you hope to have by posting this?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2
I was thinking the same thing.
Back in early 2000, on the Motley Fool Early Retire board (the one that John Greany aka Intrcst was active on) there was guy in his early 30s who worked at Apple. He decided to retire early but kept his portfolio almost entirely in Apple stock. At the time Apple stock was ~$30 and IIRC his networth was ~$1 million. Fast forward a couple of years and Apple in now ~$10. His portfolio was under $300K and he had to go back to work. The irony of course is that $10 stock he was selling to pay for living expense is now worth $450.

Which gives new meaning to the phrase that "market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent."
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have you tried posting this over on Bogleheads? That would be an entertaining thread as well, albeit shorter.......
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #46

When it comes to Disney, I do like Goofy.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Sell stop orders do not lock in the price you sell a stock.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmo1969 View Post
Sell stop orders do not lock in the price you sell a stock.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Anyone else got something smart to say?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

The OP wrote "I put it all in Disney in October 2012...and I got a lot of grief from members"...

Lemme see...

From Oct 5, 2012 to Oct 25, 2013, DIS is up +30.75%.

I do not own DIS, but how does it compare to some stocks that I own? I am talking about the ones on top of my list, not the ones at the bottom of course. For the same period, the performance of some of my stocks is as follows.

MEOH (Methanex): +95.29%
NAV (Navistar): +74.59%
GT (Goodyear): +74.33%
AMAT (Applied Material): +59.07%
CMI (Cummins): +47.20%
etc., etc...

I will stop now.

So, DIS is up a measly 30.75%? Did I look it up wrong?

Of course I did not put everything I owned into any single one of the stocks that I listed above, and no way I would!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

NW, you are clearly a stud!

Ha
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Why I stopped using stop loss orders - Michael Sincere's Long-Term Trader - MarketWatch

When using stop loss orders you sell at the next available price not the level where you place your stop loss. Very different....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #53

Agree with NW.
One of my stocks is up over 500%. One stock is a gamble, it could go up, or down.
To put everything on one stock is incredibly risky and foolish.
However, it could pay off very well. That doesn't mean it was a wise move.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #54

You put it all into Disney last year instead of Tesla? Very foolish!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #55
gone traveling

It looks like you earned maybe 37% versus lets say 25% growth of S&P 500 while taking
insane risks.
If it was me and I was to sell DIS now and roll it into IVV I would had lost to taxman all 12% of extra earnings. And selling DIS and rolling that money into broad index funds is exactly what I would......
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

In case anybody missed the message in my earlier post, it was not about me bragging of my stock picks. All of what I wrote was the truth, but it was not the entire truth.

Let me point it out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The OP wrote "I put it all in Disney in October 2012...and I got a lot of grief from members"...

Lemme see...

From Oct 5, 2012 to Oct 25, 2013, DIS is up +30.75%.

I do not own DIS, but how does it compare to some stocks that I own? I am talking about the ones on top of my list, not the ones at the bottom of course. For the same period, the performance of some of my stocks is as follows...
1) One winning stock

As I specifically pointed out, I was going to tell about my best stocks, not the worst ones. I did not tell you about some mining companies I own that are down -12% in the last 12 months. As I own many stocks, there are bound to be some that do very well. Even a monkey throwing darts 100 times will likely hit a ten bagger or two.

So, a person beating S&P500 with a single stock does not impress me. One has perhaps 50/50 chance of doing that. Now, a prudent person who beats the average while diversifying among 20+ stocks is someone I respect more.
-> Point: Anyone can get lucky.
2) Period of performance

Because the OP was talking about the 1-yr performance of DIS, I made an apple-to-apple comparison with some of my stocks. With a single click on Quicken, I could sort all my positions by their 1-yr performance. I had to go down a way to get something that has performance less than DIS. Look at this AVX (AVX Corp). It gained 28.40% in the last 12-months, but only 13.20% in the last 3 years. What that means is that AVX dropped in the period of 2010-2012, and only recently climbs out of a hole. As I have held this stock for a while, it has been dragging down my portfolio long-term performance.
-> Point: It's long-term performance that counts.

I have been doing more active investing since 1998. Prior to that, I was all in MFs. I quickly learned how quickly one stock could jump, either up or down, based on an earning report, or an event that seriously impaired its future earnings. The latter included accidents, lawsuits, loss of a large contract, etc...

In another thread, I told of one of my positions that dropped 10% at the open from the previous day's close. It kept on dropping through the day, and ended up closing near 15% down. Why? Among the reasons, its reported quarterly earnings were 81 cents, which missed the expectation of 83 cents. By the way, this is one of the S&P 500 companies.

Recently, one of my ETFs, this one a biotech ETF, dropped a sizeable percentage. I checked into it, and found out that one component of that ETF got reamed. This company closed at $17.19 one day, and opened at $5.59 the next morning. Why? The FDA put a hold on the clinical trial of its major drug.

As I have been an active investor since 1998 when I ventured from being an MF shareholder, I have learned to be careful when I have a recent portfolio outperformance, because it may not be lasting. And my portfolio does not consist of a single stock.

PS. By the way, one of my stocks that beat DIS in the last 12 months is LOW. Yes, Lowe's hardware chain which does not have a monopoly and has to share the market with Home Depot. If Disney owns some markets like the OP said, why is it not doing even better than boring Lowe's?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #57

Disney? Pfffttt...

I put it all in Beaver Nuggets...and got no grief from meme-burrs at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beaver Nuggets.JPG (349.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
...still....trying....to....forget.....and every time that I think that it's getting better....BOOOM! I sure wish they'd find SOMEBODY else to pick on...heck...ANYBODY!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #59

Quote:
I don't understand, what do you do at the bank when you get there? And, on your way to the bank are you laughing out loud or just to yourself? Anyhow, if you find the laughter is uncontrollable, I think there might be medicine for that sort of condition. The down side is, it makes you drool. So, then you could drool all the way to the bank. Laughing, drooling--your choice.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #60

Uhg, mining stocks. I just sold a mining stock that lost 80% of its value from where I bought it. I don't quite understand how they could stay in business at $400 gold for years but can't make money at $1300 gold. Well, I do...fuel and labor are up way more than inflation indicates.

As they say though, you don't have to make it up in the same stock that you lost it, and that account is up 39.4% YTD even with the 80% loss in that $##@ miner.