Join Early Retirement Today

IBM - dinosaur or future growth
Old 10-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

IBM - dinosaur or future growth

Hello all, wanted to get thoughts on IBM...relatively disappointing earnings yesterday pushed stock to 2 year lows. They have potential growth areas such as AI and Blockchain, but also have a slowing legacy business. Patient investors collect a juicy and relatively safe yield of more than 4%. I own some shares at $142 so was thinking of adding a bit. Would love to hear your thoughts and if you already own shares what your plan is of anything. Thanks!
Byb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

• Their AI is more hype than reality.
  • They are borrowing to pay the dividend (though at low rates that may not be a bad thing)
  • IBMs mid to upper management is absolutely clueless technically and on how to manage people or business - they can only parrot buzzwords.
  • IBM invented "cloud" and virtual machines 40 years go, lost the transition to distributed computing, and then got run over by Amazon, VMware, etc when the technology cycle circled back around to cloud and VMs.
The head is brain dead, the rest of the body is running on reflexes.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

IBM has been greeting customers into the Jurassic era for decades now. They have been playing games with their earnings by buying back stock and taking on debt. They need new leadership and they need it quickly. The CEO is one of the highest paid in the industry and should be the lowest. Even Warren Buffet has given up.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yield is at 4.7%. I would wait for 5%.
Growth estimates for IBM look very poor.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have a huge legacy capital gain and it will go tax free to charity so the stock performance is secondary to the dividend. I think they lost their way when they tried to transition to services in the 90s. They got into the custom development business instead of capitalizing on cloud (except for AI). When Buffett gave up on them, that was a kiss of death.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #6

I’ve heard they are also into blockchain too. It seems like they like to dibble a lit bit in everything. No idea about the stock. But I tend to think it’s in the category of GE and Ford now. Not touching it.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
  • They are borrowing to pay the dividend (though at low rates that may not be a bad thing)
  • IBMs mid to upper management is absolutely clueless technically and on how to manage people or business - they can only parrot buzzwords.
  • IBM invented "cloud" and virtual machines 40 years go, lost the transition to distributed computing, and then got run over by Amazon, VMware, etc when the technology cycle circled back around to cloud and VMs.
Why do you think they are borrowing to pay the dividend?

They have essentially the same debt and cash levels that they had last year.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

IBM and GE are already in the dustbin. The companies survive just to pay the dividend like ATT, GM, Ford etc... History is littered with decaying giants that fell behind. They are OK for a specutlative short trade but invest at your peril.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

All of the reasons mentioned in the replies to the OP are the reasons why I sold the bulk of my holdings back in 2014. Also the fact that they don't want to retain their most experienced technical staff. They'd rather replace them with young, cheaper, inexperienced workers in order to bolster their numbers.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
All of the reasons mentioned in the replies to the OP are the reasons why I sold the bulk of my holdings back in 2014. Also the fact that they don't want to retain their most experienced technical staff. They'd rather replace them with young, cheaper, inexperienced workers in order to bolster their numbers.
They pay ok, not great. My daughter got an offer from IBM at a job fair even after she told them she was not interested. They sent her one anyway for the location in Boston.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Our big spender Robbie is an investor in IBM. Maybe he will post in here about his experiences. Old Shooter also commented on IBM in a thread a while back.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
++
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

But, but,but....Watson!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
But, but,but....Watson!
I have to LOL at that because that's what I usually say to myself whenever I hear their revenue dropped yet again.

But, but, but....Watson!

But, but, but....Cloud! THE CLOUD!

But, but, but....Blockchain!

Pffft.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #15

IBM is considered a leader, perhaps the leader, in quantum computing hardware. Quantum computing looks poised to disrupt conventional computing, and whichever company gets to define the new standards in that area will do very well. Will that be IBM? I'll be watching.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #16

After reading this thread, I wonder is there anything else that IBM is not involved in.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
I have to LOL at that because that's what I usually say to myself whenever I hear their revenue dropped yet again.

But, but, but....Watson!

But, but, but....Cloud! THE CLOUD!

But, but, but....Blockchain!

Pffft.

No No No. it’s not THE CLOUD, it’s THE IBM CLOUD!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:24 AM   #18

Long term I am not optimistic. The capital investment just isn’t there versus the competition.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
IBM is considered a leader, perhaps the leader, in quantum computing hardware. Quantum computing looks poised to disrupt conventional computing, and whichever company gets to define the new standards in that area will do very well. Will that be IBM? I'll be watching.
Quantum computing is nowhere near practical rollout for a billion dollar business.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
After reading this thread, I wonder is there anything else that IBM is not involved in.
Growth?

"A relationship [company], I think, is like a shark, you know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we got on our hands is a dead shark." Woody Allen
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote