Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Growth stocks tend to represent startup firms which need to plough every cent back into R&D. They have no business issuing dividends at this stage in their development. When they grow up, growth stocks will become dividend stocks. Mature firms with cash cows can and should issue dividends. If they are trading only on past glories, those dividends will eventually end as the firm's products become obsolete and unmarketable. But an established firm with a strong market which is always looking out to innovate may be able to balance its value to customers and value to shareholders.

I think all portfolios need a mixture of growth and dividend stocks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersteciak View Post
David Einhorn, president of Greenlight Capital, discusses his long-running battle with Allied Capital and his new book Fooling Some of the People All of the Time:
TheStreet.com : Video -
I ordered this book last week. Einhorn is smart.

BTW, it may be that GE at $30.xx and a yield of 4+% is pretty good. Today I sold some TIPS and bought GE. Down in safety, but IMO up in potential reward over time. GE gets a lot of earnings from non-US sources. GE gets a lot of earnings from infrastucture and alternate energy. GE is restucturing.

I could see GE becoming much more popular with investors before too awfully long

Ha

Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've owned Enbridge Energy Partners - EEP - for years, fairly stable,
now paying 7.5%
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks to everyone for ideas. I bought APU, but keep the ideas coming, I'm always looking for more.

BTW, EEP looks nice also.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Thanks to everyone for ideas. I bought APU, but keep the ideas coming, I'm always looking for more.

BTW, EEP looks nice also.
I am sure you know, but for others who may not, APU and EEP are MLPs, not common stock.

This may involve complications with record keeping and tax filing; and sometimes they are not suitable for inclusion in untaxed accounts or tax deferred accounts.

Ha
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I ordered this book last week. Einhorn is smart.

BTW, it may be that GE at $30.xx and a yield of 4+% is pretty good. Today I sold some TIPS and bought GE. Down in safety, but IMO up in potential reward over time. GE gets a lot of earnings from non-US sources. GE gets a lot of earnings from infrastucture and alternate energy. GE is restucturing.

I could see GE becoming much more popular with investors before too awfully long

Ha
Hopefully you are correct. I already own a little. Slightly down over my purchase price, but plan to hold for the long term.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hopefully you are correct. I already own a little. Slightly down over my purchase price, but plan to hold for the long term.
Be of good cheer, Dawg. We are in good company.

GE Insider Trading - General Electric Co - SecForm4.Com

BTW, I ditched some oil related stocks today and over the past few days. Amazing how rapid the recent run-up has been- many of my holdings with very good gains are still short term, mostly bought or added to last August.

Ha
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Be of good cheer, Dawg. We are in good company.

GE Insider Trading - General Electric Co - SecForm4.Com

Ha
We are in good company. Here is one that I have had good luck with over the few weeks I have owned it. Still has a 9% yield and is listed as a 5 star rated stock by S&P, whatever that's worth.

CZN: Summary for CITIZEN COMM CO - Yahoo! Finance
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

A bit volatile but, DSX/Diana Shipping at 11%+ divy rate. It's a drybulk shipping company with very low debt.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Baring a big rally it looks like my GE 32.50 puts will be exercised next week. Normally, I am somewhat bummed when my puts get exercised. (Only somewhat because I write puts only for stocks I want to own and specific prices.) However, in the case of GE I'm actually quite please to own the premier growth company in the US for the last century or so. The stock price has been flat for the last decade, but both earnings and dividends have increased at high single digit growth during this time.

With a 4.3% yield, all the company has to do is raise dividends at the rate of inflation to sustain a 4% SWR and since it has historically raised dividends at more than 2x inflation...

BTW, I think writing puts is another way to purchase GE, since there is a good premium. $1.80 for at the money ($29) Sept put or 1.20 for a longer out of the money put Jan 25.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

How does WWE look at 15.17 paying 9.40? Wrestling seems to more popular than ever.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Have you considered Close End Funds and income ETFs?

Take a look at DGF, DEX, INB, FOF, JNK, DPD, JGT , LVL, NAI, TTO.

All of these yield between 8.4% to 12%, pay out monthly and offer automatic dividend reinvestment.