Join Early Retirement Today

instant gratification (MT)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

instant gratification (MT)

Though I'm mostly buy and hold, invest for the long term, I get a thrill when a recent stock purchase soon goes up. For example, this week I picked up MT via a limit order, and it's up over 10% today. Similar satisfaction occurs when I add a player to my fantasy baseball team and he knocks a HR during his first game on my roster. This feels odd since I'm not the instant gratification type. Anyone else?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was feeling good about buying nflx back at $75 after selling it at $301. It quickly went up from $75, at least 10%, but now it's hitting more like $64. So much for my genius. I have a new buy limit at $62.75 after I noticed it was actually down today instead of up like everything else. Hopefully enough volatility to sell the $75 shares in the next year.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1966 - 1982 when I was a tad younger, I had a wonderful portfolio of a few good stocks, promptly dumping any dogs - with the help of a great broker/advisor.

Until some turd pointed out that I trailed the index(500 in those days) by a wide margin.

heh heh heh - in ER lifecycle index fund for real money - and so as I don't take myself too serious - watch football and have a few good stocks.

Geaux Saints!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Though I'm mostly buy and hold, invest for the long term, I get a thrill when a recent stock purchase soon goes up. For example, this week I picked up MT via a limit order, and it's up over 10% today. Similar satisfaction occurs when I add a player to my fantasy baseball team and he knocks a HR during his first game on my roster. This feels odd since I'm not the instant gratification type. Anyone else?
Congrats on the gain, but have you taken any profit?, until you sell it's just a good feeling. In fact investments with that sort of volatility have no place in my portfolio. There I go again being a "Debbie Downer".

http://panasonicyouth.buzznet.com/us...uring-lindsay/

<=>

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the profit. I've found myself turning into more of a swing trader lately with these crazy markets. The only thing I hold onto for any length of time is my cash so I can minimize any unexpected market turns. Yesterday I did an option order on HD and made >50% profit in one day when compared to the total $$ invested. That was sweet!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I find myself watching new stock purchases more closely, and being particularly tickled if they catch an updraft in the first few days. Generally I don't sell at market price, in fact I can't recall the last time I did. When sales happen they are via a stop loss. A stock that rises soon after purchase lets me lock in a higher stop loss sooner.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

From an old Cathy cartoon:

"I don't have TIME for instant gratification!!!"
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

I'd don't get too excited until I sell & lock in a gain but selling too early has often been my biggest mistake. Then the depression sets in
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago, when the market was on the rise, everybody feels good and
we thought we're good and buying all the good stocks.
Then the market turned south, and we all realized it was not our skill.
We were mainly just there for the ride.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
I'd don't get too excited until I sell & lock in a gain but selling too early has often been my biggest mistake.
If that's your biggest mistake, you live a charmed life.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #11

Well, in terms of investing of course.

Great example of an epic investment eff up - bought USG with Buffet between $3-5 a share, went into Chap 11 due to the asbestos litigation, I got worried I was going to get wiped out and sold. Housing boom comes along & USG stock goes above $100.