Join Early Retirement Today

investing.com article about Muni funds
Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

investing.com article about Muni funds

I will admit I don't know a great deal about Municipal bond funds. Obviously this article has a certain view point but I'm curious if anyone actively uses them and are they simply a part of your strategy or do you lean on them heavily for the tax advantages? The first comment on this article is a contrarian viewpoint at least to how they were calculating the counter scenario profitability of owning Vanguard S&P 500 (NYSE:VOO). The person leaving the comment had some valid points regarding how you could go about managing taxes in the aforementioned S&P 500 fund. Also if anyone has a resource that they like on the topic I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge. Thanks

https://www.investing.com/analysis/5...-how-200484172

upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Administrator

The article promotes a closed end muni fund (NMZ) that uses leverage, but doesnít mention either as a risk factor. This type of investment is not a good option for anyone not understanding the risk of leverage or a CEF.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
Disclosure: Brett Owens and Michael Foster are contrarian income investors who look for undervalued stocks/funds across the U.S. markets. Click here to learn how to profit from their strategies in the latest report, "7 Great Dividend Growth Stocks for a Secure Retirement."
So, caveat emptor I guess.........
Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I own Nuveen Muni Value (NUV)and have for years. It has been very solid. I added to it in the past year. It is a CEF, but no leverage.

It is not a "cornerstone", just an ingredient. Has done well over time with far less volatility than expected.

I like that it is a fund and a CEF is great for bonds, since they are not hit with massive redemptions which exacerbate market inflection. And diversified and active management, which I think you want for bonds.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #5

Muni's yes. Funds, no.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

CEFs yes.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #7

I have single state muni fund in a brokerage account for my high SALT location. Iím buying into into it every month. Pays about 2.5% and I benchmark it to a MMF.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #8

I have liked individual munis in the past, but for a while I have found that taxable bonds have a better after tax yield.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have liked individual munis in the past, but for a while I have found that taxable bonds have a better after tax yield.

I agree. I have a single individual muni and would love to buy more but nothing remotely attractive compared to the intermediate term fund I have. It takes a lot of cash to be diversified with individual bonds.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have roughly 70 individual muni bonds across different states, maturities and credit quality. I bought many of them 4-6 years ago and together they have a weighted tax free yield of 4.02%. I do my own research and buy them through the Schwab platform. I always hold until maturity or until call. Obviously, the problem I have been having is that upon maturity or call I cannot replace the bonds with anything remotely approaching the above yield.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I agree. I have a single individual muni and would love to buy more but nothing remotely attractive compared to the intermediate term fund I have. It takes a lot of cash to be diversified with individual bonds.
I have been trying to stay true to my ladder. I bought a number of issues when rates were higher and I am glad I did. My yield is 4.53% and much of that is double tax free.
I had about 120 individual issues and between maturing bonds and calls, that is down to about 80 now.
I still find a needle in the haystack occasionally with individual issues.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #12

70 issues....120 issues. I canít fathom having so many but it must feel awesome getting those yields. Is that current yield or yield on cost?
Old 11-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Muni's yes. Funds, no.
+1
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
70 issues....120 issues. I canít fathom having so many but it must feel awesome getting those yields. Is that current yield or yield on cost?
Fido has some excellent bond management tools. I more or less manage off of alerts only. So though it sounds like a lot, itís reading just a few emails a week.
The yield is calculated by Fido and they call it average estimated yield. I need to look at their methodology.